Beginner

Options
I am just starting back exercising and looking to lose around 50 lbs over the next 6 months. I wave cut back my calories as per mfp advice but was wondering what is best exercise for helping with weight loss. Just now I am doing weights and exercise bike but not sure if I should do these together or alternate.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    To lose fat eat in a caloric deficit, which means eating fewer calories than you burn. You can do that by eating less, moving more (all physical activity burns calories), or a combination. As all physical activity burns calories, that means that all exercises burn calories. Some obviously burn more than others but rather than looking for the biggest burn, I'd suggest finding one or more that you enjoy as you will be more likely to stick with it/them.

As for when to exercise, that's up to you and your schedule and preferences. Some people like to do them on alternating days. Some people have limited opportunity to exercise so they do them on the same day.
  • victorsparade
    victorsparade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Building muscle burns more calories!! I used to think the more cardio, the better, but regular weight lifting is good for your body - plus you build endurance, and that makes each workout a little easier than the one before.

I personally like doing a circuit, but I don't keep to a strict "arms day, legs day" schedule. I let my body tell me what it wants. So for today for example, I've done some walking just to get to the office but my arms haven't done much, so I'll probably focus on biceps, triceps, and lats. If I'd spent the day cleaning house or lifting/rearranging things, I might opt for more leg or core work. Just remember to always, ALWAYS stretch afterwards.
  • Mark19742015
    Mark19742015 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone