How to start

Options
I've been overweight since a teenager and am now 38. I'm heavier than ever needing to lose 170lbs. My dad passed away a few months ago and I've put on a few stone since then and I'm really feeling it. Everything is an effort and I feel unwell most of the time. I have a 3yr old boy and work full time and I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. I love veg and fruit but I binge eat every night and I can't seem to stop. I have so much going for me, a lovely little boy, loving family, good job etc but my weight makes me miserable but I don't know how to get a good day under my belt. I know when I do I can stick at it seeing the weight come off but I need some advice on how to do that?
Thanks guys x

Replies

• KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have for you is log your food, no matter what it is or how much you eat. Logging is truly the most helpful thing!!! By seeing the calories, you can make changes based on it. You actually can still have a treat, just allow it under your calorie limit!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything you eat/drink, no matter what. Ditch any and all "all or nothing" attitudes and don't go balls to the wall. Make small changes. Do things that you plan to keep up with for life.

You don't need to even cut out your favorite foods. Just eat smaller portions of them that fit into your calorie goal.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Don't try to make a lot of changes at once. Baby steps. You need to find a satisfying way of eating that has fewer calories than your current way of eating.

Start by just logging everything you are eating without making any changes. Do that for a week or two so that you get a good picture of what and how much you are eating. Log before you eat (I like to do it right before you eat) so that you won't forget to log.

Get a food scale. That's the most accurate way to measure your solid foods. Measuring cups/spoons are best used just for liquids.

Next, start making small changes. Eat a little less of some things, make some substitutions. If some foods that you like have more calories than you'd prefer to eat for that meal, find different foods that you also like to eat instead. For instance, I like grilled chicken just as well as fried chicken. I've found that mixing plain veggies in with my entree flavors them nicely rather than having a sauce on the veggies. Little things like that add up.
  • victorsparade
    victorsparade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Biggest tip someone gave me: Don't beat yourself up. We all slip up and fall off the wagon; the difference between success and failure is what you do when you're down.

Love yourself; your body is unique and beautiful right now.

(Did I take this advice? Not necessarily. I still beat myself up about minor slip-ups, and that's okay too. But I am learning to be at peace with my journey. We'll get there!)
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sorry for your tough times. You are right, you need to focus on all the positives that you have going on and work from there.

If you are binging daily and cannot stop yourself that is a disorder (or can become one) and you need to talk to your doctor. You have anxiety and that needs help.

Take small steps to make positive changes. Definitely focus at first on just logging everything you eat honestly for a couple of weeks. Then work on purging all the foods in your pantry that are trigger foods for you - the ones where you can't stop at just one serving - stock more of the fruit and veggies you love, binge on those :) and keep on logging!

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    You've already received some great advice. Slow and steady wins the race. Have determination, strength and perseverance to see it through. You'll thank yourself a year from now if you stick with it. Good luck.