Returning to MFP

Options
eddiesmith1
eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
edited January 2016 in Introduce Yourself
So January 2014 I came on here with the goal of getting to 165lbs . in December of 2013 i was 224 when i started. when I took a break from actively tracking in July 2014 was down to 175 and was pretty happy with it. the goal was to return to it after vacation and lose the last 10 .....well life got in the way, my job changed which impacted my diet severely (the food at the new job is not going to win any weight loss awards) my exercise (instead of walking a minimum of 7km a day walking home from work i now drive because it is 25km - almost all uphill so cycling is kind of out as i need to wear business clothes) . I also fell off the wagon that summer and quit for good Oct 29 2014 (that also didn't help with weight) I crept up the battery in the scale died... long story short I was back up to 229 or so (the 225.6 i am this am I believe is accurate as I have new scale batteries;) ) so back at it. the exercise is harder to achieve but I've been managing a few km a day (try for at least 5 right now) the goal is still 165-170 lbs and i hope to get there by fall at the latest. I kept all my skinny clothes I bought and refuse to buy to many fat clothes . Come spring there is a large YMCA opening a short distance from me so I think I will join. Meanwhile there is a small Gym near me that does month to month for about the same price as the Y and I think I'm going to join (never like gyms even when i skied for a living as a kid I rarely used them- i ran which is the other goal. I'm going to start C25K this time (last time I just walked, but did do a half marathon) Winter is a crap time to start a running program but I think my dog may not care;) . Onward 50 pounds to go - I've managed to quit smoking (2.5 years now) Drinking (15 months) so time to get healthy If I managed the other two I'm certain i can do this one and keep it that way

Replies

• KarenUK56
    KarenUK56 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best. If you can quit drinking and smoking, losing weight and getting fit should be easy. Being an ex smoker and ex drinker myself, I would say that you've done the hardest two things. Good luck!
  • victorsparade
    victorsparade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking and drinking!!! Those are amazing accomplishments.
  • eddiesmith1
    Options
    I wish you all the best. If you can quit drinking and smoking, losing weight and getting fit should be easy. Being an ex smoker and ex drinker myself, I would say that you've done the hardest two things. Good luck!

thanks, yeah, I know this is the easy part. last time i lost all the weight i quit drinking at the same time, starting drinking was the beginning of gaining it back. 15 months in I'm pretty comfortable I'm past the drinking (i still get tempted but its not an uncontrolled urge) . the smoking was easier this time , I had just had it and a friend an I quit at the same time so we became each others support network. My sweet tooth went off the scale when i quit drinking though.
  • eddiesmith1
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking and drinking!!! Those are amazing accomplishments.

thanks it's well worth it, I feel so much better in the mornings now but having lost the weight previously i know i can feel better
  • victorsparade
    victorsparade Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I made it my New Years resolution to only drink once a week. I used to work at a wine shop, so I got accustomed to drinking more and walking off the calories. Now I have a desk job, and I can't drink like I used to. I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but once you get in the wine culture, it's hard to stop completely. Plus both my parents drink every day, so it's not like they'd support my decision. :/
  • ChazMBlack
    ChazMBlack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i quit drinking in December, and i'm currently four days in on the patch. i have 94 pounds to lose.
  • ChazMBlack
    ChazMBlack Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I made it my New Years resolution to only drink once a week. I used to work at a wine shop, so I got accustomed to drinking more and walking off the calories. Now I have a desk job, and I can't drink like I used to. I'm not an alcoholic or anything, but once you get in the wine culture, it's hard to stop completely. Plus both my parents drink every day, so it's not like they'd support my decision. :/

i used to drink a bottle and a half of wine a night(i didn't walk it off, lol). This past November i started restricting it to 3 nights a week and since mid-December i've only drank 3 nights. i know it's difficult to stop when family members drink daily as well(my brother and mom). It got easier as the days went by, and then even more so when my mom joined me(& recently my brother). I wish you all the best in your New years resolution. =D
  • eddiesmith1
    Options

You can just explain its part of the fitness goal
    For me it was time to quit. A huge part of my life has been spent around the music scene
    Drinking to excess is the norm
    So is quitting. I still have a nice collection of Bordeaux that my wife and friends will drink