Calorie intake goals

Options
I was just wondering what calorie intakes people have? I'm not too sure on what to stick to! I know it's all dependent on height and gender etc but it would be interesting to see what other people's were and how much weight they've lost so far :)

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Around 2000 a day for me. I'm 5'9 150 pounds. Lost 16 pounds in 16 weeks eating this much.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you're going to get all that good of a feel without including your own height. Someone at 5'1" is going to need far less of an intake than someone at 5'9" to lose weight or maintain.

But to contribute, I am 5'9 and eat 1650-2000 depending if I lift weights that day or not.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Try not to go below 1,000. You could actually lose your period if you go to low on calories. And you need protein otherwise your nails can get weak and your hair thins. A woman's body also needs calcium.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am a 5ft female and I eat around 1400-1500 calories a day with minimal exercise.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5". Right now I'm eating 1800 calories to aim to lose a pound a week. In 2014 I lost 52 pounds eating 1750-1850/week. Now I'm trying to lose the last bit of weight. I'll likely inch down to 1600ish by the time I end this cut in May.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    800-1000 is really low. I'm 5"2 and eat bn 1300-1500. I'm 115lbs. I have days that I eat more, but then I make up for it by cutting back.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    5'5" MFP has me at 1530 to lose one pound a week but I usually come in under 1400.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4". I'm bulking so a bit heavy right now (a bit above 135), but I have to eat between 1200-1600 to lose.
  • SalamJ90
    SalamJ90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can anyone help me? I'm 5 ft and weigh 142 pounds I would like to lose 1.5 pounds a week. How many calories do I need to eat? Thanks
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    SalamJ90 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me? I'm 5 ft and weigh 142 pounds I would like to lose 1.5 pounds a week. How many calories do I need to eat? Thanks

Just enter your stats and activity level in the app. No one knows how active you are.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    At 5' tall, you can eat 1200 and lose. You do not need to go lower than that. Depending on your current weight and desired rate of loss, you may be able to go higher, too.

I'm 5' tall, and my goal is 1220 for a 0.5lb/week weight loss. I get in as many steps as I can, and most days it's more like 1400 calories that I'm eating, if not higher.

~Lyssa
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Enter all these details into the diary side of MFP and it will tell you how many calories you need to eat to reach your goal

• SalamJ90
    SalamJ90 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I'll start at 1400 calories and try to get in a 200 calorie workout. Hopefully I stick to it this time and stop sabotaging myself
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

I agree with all the advise you've been getting, except I really thing you should go for 1 pound a week. 1.5 seems pretty steep. Just my 2 cents

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    5'1, post menopausal.
    sw- 130
    cw- 103 (100-105 maintenance range)
    Lost at 1200 plus aprox 150 exercise feed back per day.
    Maintain at TDEE 1400+.

@MichaelaTheHobbit even though you are petite your calories are low. Unless you are working with a medical or diet professional or have a medical condition not under control you should be able to lose .5-1lbs a week eating 1200 cals plus a reasonable percentage of your exercise calories.
  • alishalouise90
    alishalouise90 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm 5'9 and 65kg (143 pounds) and in the app to lose 1 pound a week it suggests to only eat 1250 cals a day. Thought this seemed about right but then read all of your posts and now I am thinking the calorie intake is kind of low! Although, I entered that my day is spent being mostly sedentary so perhaps that is why its so low ...thoughts? :)
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @alishalouise90 MFP gives you a low base, but then you earn exercise calories back.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You can use online calculators to get an idea of what your body burns in day, between BMR & regular daily activity & exercise. Understanding that, and knowing it goes down gradually as you lose weight, could help you to set a goal that is reasonable for you. Or to understand why MFP gave you the # it did.
  • MichaelaTheHobbit
    MichaelaTheHobbit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the person who reported my comment and almost got my account deleted. I was needing help and advice (thank you to everyone who did help) and now I've been threatened because I wasn't too sure how many calories I should be eating. It took me a lot of courage to get involved with the community and now I feel like leaving it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Please don't leave. It could have been the moderators not someone posting.

VLCD very low cal diets are not allowed by MFP, so the ref would have been deleted.

It was good that you did reach out for guidance on your calorie goal. I hope it has helped you figure out what is best for you.

Continue reading the threads and the ever-so helpful stickies at the top of each sub-forum, you can learn a lot. And don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Cheers, h.