Just do the opposite.

Options
Earl Nightingale once said “To be successful, watch what the majority of people do, then do the exact opposite.” So how do you apply this philosophy?

Diet/Nutrition: Most people go on fad diets that villanize certain groups of food and impose rules and restrictions that are unsustainable for very long. What should you do? Simply eat whole foods and create a 10-30% calorie deficit for fat loss and ignore the rest.

General Exercise: For fat loss most people do cardio, followed by cardio, followed by cardio, followed by some more cardio for 6-7 days a week. What should you do? Perform both cardio and strength training 3-4 times per week.

Cardio: Most people use specialized equipment to help “maximize” calorie burn like the elliptical, arc trainer, etc... with their only focus being on the number of calories burned. What should you do? Go run/ride on old fashioned pavement or trails with goals for both speed and distance, reach your goals then set new goals.

Strength Training: Most people use machines to exercise specific muscles in isolation and will not work the same muscle more than twice a week for fear of overtraining and will make little progress in actual strength gains. What should you do? Use free weights and compound muscle movements to exercise your entire body in 3-5 exercises 3-4 times per week and progress in strength gains no less than monthly.

Out of all of this the most important thing to take away are the things I didn’t say. I didn’t say anything about calorie zigzagging, muscle confusion, “changing-it-up”, starvation mode, “keep your body guessing”, etc… If you do these four things and ignore the opinions and advice of the majority, chances are you will be more successful than the majority.

Why is this true? Because these four simple things would make for a pretty crappy magazine subscription, book, website, supplement, etc…

Replies

• jenjenlv
    jenjenlv Posts: 42
    Options
    Good tips!! Thank you!!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    lol! I just saw a story about a woman who lost over 200 lbs..... the old fashioned way!! just sweat, diet, and hardwork. no fad diets or supplements for her. very inspiring.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely with you on the lifting :) Then again if more people got into lifting I couldn't be so selfish with the squat rack in the morning.

Anyway...

If you do use treadmills / elliptical / etc. - go for a goal. Use it to improve your resistance, up your distance, increase your speed. Don't just focus on the calories burned.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Haha, love it. Very true!
  • SJT75
    SJT75 Posts: 134
    Options
    Great common sense Advice...Think I might print it out .....it might remind me not to do the tings i'm not doing and not waste money on the faddy magazines!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up!
  • BarbelleBaby
    Options
    Shhhhh, I can't fight for weights with many more people :p

Anyone noticed the lack of lifting equipment in a pretty big amount of leisure centres? A personal trainer in a leisure centre local to me (she herself was well overweight - just saying!) said: We don't have free weights because we don't want to encourage that type of person! :noway:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

Anyone noticed the lack of lifting equipment in a pretty big amount of leisure centres? A personal trainer in a leisure centre local to me (she herself was well overweight - just saying!) said: We don't have free weights because we don't want to encourage that type of person! :noway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cpojkILO0

This dude is my idol :laugh:
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    I'm definitely with you on the lifting :) Then again if more people got into lifting I couldn't be so selfish with the squat rack in the morning.

exactly this!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

What type of person would that be!?! that's just ridiculous :noway:

Love it!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is great sound advice and what I tell people all the time.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    This deserves a bump.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    b-b-b-bump!
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    Well said. It's hard to unlearn old habits sometimes. Old wisdom applied to fitness is a nice twist.

Robert Frost said it best:

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear,
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay