Is it possible to eat out and still lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    i eat out all the time. lost 70 pounds in the past year ....

That's pretty amazing... but you had a lot to lose. It's harder when you only have 20 pounds or less to lose and your margin of error is much smaller.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    i eat out all the time. lost 70 pounds in the past year ....

That's pretty amazing... but you had a lot to lose. It's harder when you only have 20 pounds or less to lose and your margin of error is much smaller.

^^^ seconded
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Since hitting a normal weight, I've lost a pound a week (minus the week of Christmas =|) while eating out. It can be done as long as you count calories.
  • kenshelley
    kenshelley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, just watch your intake. I normally order kid size portion meals now without compromising the likes of the food I enjoy eating. Also I request for natural food. Example, I will ask for shelled eggs instead of Liquid or powder eggs in a box. Also, stay away from low fat food. Typically, low fat food is saturated with high sodium and substitutes.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    You can definitely lose weight eating out. But this is probably not something you would want to continue forever, especially twice daily. The long term goal requires some long term changes. And being skinny doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy. If you're looking to keep off the weight, start with some small changes such as going on short walks or taking lunch one day a week instead of eating out. Also, exercise doesn't mean you have to go to the gym or lift heavy weight-- it could be 10 minute bursts of activity.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat out ALL THE TIME. I had a cheeseburger and sundae at Dairy Queen the day before weigh in this week and I still lost my goal of a pound.

It's all about 80/20 for me personally. 80% whole food, 20% whatever you like food. I measure/weigh my breakfast, lunch, and snacks. For dinner, I try to cook most of my meals. I really do. But I have anywhere from 1 1/2-2 hours of stressful interstate commute from work every day and sometimes, I just can't muster the energy to cook. I'll order fast food.

MOST of the time, I make good choices. Salads and chicken, no fries, bottled water instead of a soda, etc. If I have room in my food budget for the day though, I'll use those calories to splurge a little!
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We eat out several times a week. I track what I eat and do my best to meet my calorie goal for the day. Still losing weight! It can be done, you just have to track it!