Hypo/Hyperthyroidism

Options
cnldance
cnldance Posts: 47 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi guys!

So basically I made this thread for people struggling with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. I used MFP in the past when I was in my teens and it was never really hard for me to lose weight with proper diet and exercise...up until now. I'm 24 now, but when I was about 20 my doctor diagnosed me with hypo thyroidism. Basically my thyroid is slow so she prescibed me a low dose of meds for it. I took it religiously but it didnt make me feel better at all. My hair was falling out, I experienced extreme fatigue, etc.

Fast forward....

I started seeing a therapist in the beginning of last year and she advised me to go see an endocrinologist as I described to her my health and family health history. I went to the doctor yesterday and was told my thyroid is in pretty bad shape. So bad that it's three times the size it should be so she immediately upped my meds and advised I go on a strict 1200 calorie diet. It was hopeful, but also frustrating because I have been on a strict diet and workout plan for 5 months now and all I've been doing is gaining....unheard of right? turns out my thyroid is the culprit.

This thread is for people with Hashimotos or thyroid problems. I offer any and all support I can give. Feel free to share your stories and add me as a friend :)

Replies

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I don't have a diagnosed thyroid problem, but suspect I do; they run in my family and i have many symptoms. I have requested doctors to check it out and am having a hard time getting anyone to help me out. Do you think it's possible it's just getting overlooked and I should try to push the subject with a doctor?
  • clwasmer
    clwasmer Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!! Hello, Your story is my story!! So nice to have someone to talk too :)
  • tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you have Hashimoto's the symptoms come and go and aren't necessarily associated with out of range changes in your TSH until it gets worse.
    Auto-immune conditions suck! They're just so vague and unhelpful and they don't push the dr's in the right direction.
    With Hashimoto's it can be worth getting an ultrasound done, as the changes there can show up while the numbers are still mostly normal despite your symptoms.
  • treehopper1987
    Options
    How did your doctor's finally determine you had a problem?
  • katieeinck9
    katieeinck9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I don't have a diagnosed thyroid problem, but suspect I do; they run in my family and i have many symptoms. I have requested doctors to check it out and am having a hard time getting anyone to help me out. Do you think it's possible it's just getting overlooked and I should try to push the subject with a doctor?

• katieeinck9
    katieeinck9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You know your body better than anyone else does. If something doesn't feel right, then something probably isn't right. Unfortunately right now, having thyroud issues is becoming more common which is causing some healthcare personnel to be desensitized to the issue. Don't give up! If anything, through your concern about your health, your doctor may find something else that could be causing the problems you're having
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have Hashimotos. No symptoms - but because I've been exhausted for years he had been regularly testing my thyroid. It was low in October, he ran antibody tests, and the rest is history.

Ask your doctor to do the refined testing that includesT3 and rT3. T3 is the (or one of the) happy thyroid enzymes. Your body naturally makes it from T4 (the normal supplement). But when your thyroid is impaired, it sometimes makes rT3 (an anti-happy enzyme) instead.

I started on a low dose of T4 - and now have a bit too much rT3, but not enough to change doses at my last visit. If the trend continues, he will cut back my T4 (since my body is turning it into the wrong thing) and add T3 directly. This makes much more sense to me than continuing to dump T4 (which most doctors do - and it sounds as if yours may have done). The primary result of that is that your overall thyroid numbers look fine (e.g. no more hypothyroid) - but the composition of the overall thyroid enzymes is really crappy - and you feel crappy.

Also make sure to get your vitamin D checked - very low vitamin D can be the trigger that makes Hashimoto's manifest itself, and may help put it back in remission.

Finally, make sure you check for diabetes. That was my triple whammy birthday diagnosis - and it is apparently very common for all three to be present.
  • S0ADORABL3
    S0ADORABL3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is great! After years of doctors dismissing my goiter I've finally found one who was willing to do something about it. I started on a med and am definitely noticing a difference in how I feel. I hope that translates into weight loss!
  • ChastaLeeMezo
    ChastaLeeMezo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yay! Thyroid support. I was diagnosed with my thyroid disorder a year and a half ago. Since then my dose of levothyroxine has been upped 3 times. I just had baby boy three months ago, and I would love to loose the weight I've gained the past two years and be back to my healthy weight.
    Is there anything I can do to help my thyroid out? I really can't do a low calorie diet, because I'm breastfeeding. Loosing weight is proving to be harder this time around. I had my first son 4 years ago and the weight seemed to just melt off.
  • shannon_in_love
    shannon_in_love Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i recently started levothyroxine. has it caused weight gain in you guys? i've been on it for like a week and i would like to know what to expect.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    cnldance wrote: »
    Hi guys!

So basically I made this thread for people struggling with hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. I used MFP in the past when I was in my teens and it was never really hard for me to lose weight with proper diet and exercise...up until now. I'm 24 now, but when I was about 20 my doctor diagnosed me with hypo thyroidism. Basically my thyroid is slow so she prescibed me a low dose of meds for it. I took it religiously but it didnt make me feel better at all. My hair was falling out, I experienced extreme fatigue, etc.

Fast forward....

I started seeing a therapist in the beginning of last year and she advised me to go see an endocrinologist as I described to her my health and family health history. I went to the doctor yesterday and was told my thyroid is in pretty bad shape. So bad that it's three times the size it should be so she immediately upped my meds and advised I go on a strict 1200 calorie diet. It was hopeful, but also frustrating because I have been on a strict diet and workout plan for 5 months now and all I've been doing is gaining....unheard of right? turns out my thyroid is the culprit.

This thread is for people with Hashimotos or thyroid problems. I offer any and all support I can give. Feel free to share your stories and add me as a friend :)

Keep up with your appointments (with an endocrinologist, do not trust any other dr for this), take your meds as prescribed, and you will be fine. I was diagnosed in my teens, am now in my 40s and the few times I had problems, it was always because my meds needed adjustment.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My Ob/Gyn tests all her patients after 45 for thyroid. I was diagnosed hypothyroidism about 12 years ago. My symptoms were always feeling chilled, gaining weight and feeling sluggish. She recommended an Endocronologist who put me on Synthroid. Unfortunately, once started there doesn't appear to be an end to taking meds :neutral:

Especially while losing or gaining weight, you need to be tested when you have an approximate 15# gain/loss or if you find that your hands begin to shake or you have heart flutters, as the dosage is weight based. It does take time for your body to adjust to the meds. When my dosage is lowered, I don't lose weight as quickly.
  • treehopper1987
    Options
    So, do you all think I should see out an endocrinologist instead of talking to my gp?
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have had my meds upped and downed more times than I can remember to attempt to get my thyroid functioning. I'm now with a great GP who checks my bloods every 3 months to make sure it's doing what it should. In the last year I've lost 77lbs and still going..... Your choice but personally a good enough GP can get it sorted too. Good luck.
  • hhcampy
    hhcampy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all- been dealing with hypothyroidism for 5 years and recently diagnosed with hashimotos . My weight is at the highest it's ever been and the scale won't go down. I could really use all the advice that y'all can give about how you are losing weight and maintaining healthy numbers.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You have to be cnsistent about taking your meds at the same time every day and maybe see an endo if your hormone levels are not in control
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've had Hashimoto's for 30 years. My Son was also diagnosed with it 10 years ago. He was 7 at the time. I struggled for years trying to find a Dr. That would treat me as a person not a number. I too only took T4 for years and had chronic symptoms. I am now on a natural thyroid that has a lot of aT3 and my Dr. Just added some additional T4 last week because I was low. I found out that my body wasn't converting T4 to T3. So all that T4 was useless. As thyroid patients we are All different. Doctors really need to look at all the lab tests to get an accurate picture of what's going on. One TSH just doesn't cut it. I feel pretty good most of the time, but still struggle with weight loss. It just doesn't come off quickly!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting on test results. I have a different autoimmune disease (Crohn's) and it's fairly common to develop others. I have Crohn's fatigue but it is crazy bad right now. The iv infusion I get every 6 weeks usually gives me a few weeks of near normal energy but last two times it hasn't ;(
  • cnldance
    Options

Hi! yes, in my personal opinion (and in no way is this medical advice as i am not a professional), if you feel something off with your body, push it until someone pays attention. no one knows your body better than you do.
  • cnldance
    Options
    clwasmer wrote: »
    Yeah!!! Hello, Your story is my story!! So nice to have someone to talk too :)

I'm glad I could offer some suuport! feel free to add me! i am around to chat anytime.