Is it enough with just watching your calories goal? or does it also matter what I eat?

Options
When I started on here I was losing weight fast now I slowed down but I also notice that before I ate healthier and now with all the holidays I've Ben eating junk and lots of sweets but still under my calories and still doing my exercises and drinking plenty of water I gained 5 lbs over the holidays! Also does anyone know any natural body detox drink or plan?

Replies

• alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe too much sodium consumption y making you retain water..when i detox i eat super clean for a week fruits veggies and a lot of water
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    When I started on here I was losing weight fast now I slowed down but I also notice that before I ate healthier and now with all the holidays I've Ben eating junk and lots of sweets but still under my calories and still doing my exercises and drinking plenty of water I gained 5 lbs over the holidays! Also does anyone know any natural body detox drink or plan?

You Can't Detox Your Body, It's a Myth. So How Do I Get Healthy?

The Detox Scam - How to Spot It, How to Avoid It
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about detoxes your body does it on its own.

Sounds like either salt/water retention or you underestimated the calories in the holiday foods. Hidden sugar or calories.

I would just give it time and get back to eating healthier.

Calories is more for weight loss
    What you eat(fats, protein, carbs) is more for nutrition and health
  • Bryan24680
    Bryan24680 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Remember to be absolutely accurate when eating sweets, food scale is a must.

Usually a 5lb weight gain is a result of me eating too much sodium, so in the following days I reduce my sodium intake and consume more potassium (potatoes are a great source!).

Just to clarify for you to have gained 5lbs you would have to eaten 17500 extra calories and that is a LOT of food.

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Maybe too much sodium consumption y making you retain water..when i detox i eat super clean for a week fruits veggies and a lot of water

Stop...
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Stop...

Seconded...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I started on here I was losing weight fast now I slowed down

It's normal to lose super fast at the beginning and then slow to a normal rate. It could be sodium too, though, or adding in exercise, or the time of the month (people have different patterns).
    but I also notice that before I ate healthier and now with all the holidays I've Ben eating junk and lots of sweets but still under my calories and still doing my exercises and drinking plenty of water I gained 5 lbs over the holidays! Also does anyone know any natural body detox drink or plan?

Gaining 5 is either a sodium thing or flying or some other reason to retain water or possibly poor logging (easy if lots of things are hard to log accurately). Or if you were eating low carb and went higher carb that's another reason for water weight to fluctuate. All that is meaningless, as the goal is fat loss.

For weight loss calories are what matter, period, but I always recommend eating a generally healthful diet for satiety, health, and energy.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Daily caloric deficit is the most important thing, however it isn't the only factor. Your macronutrient break out (carbs, fat, and protein) also matter. This means that you can still eat junk food as long as you reach your macronutrient goals. For example, if your goal is to hit 100 grams of carbs in a day, a few cookies will easily get you to 100 grams of carbs. This means that you can not eat any more carbs for that day i.e no more cookies. You can only eat calories that have protein and/or fat. This is a great tool to figure out what your macrnutrient and caloric intake should be.

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • Bryan24680
    Bryan24680 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As the posters have clarified above me, detoxing is not a magical weight loss diet. Calories in < calories out.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you've been under your calorie limit, the weight gain is just water due to hormones, delayed onset muscle soreness from exercise, sodium and/or time of month (for women).

If you weigh every day, you'll see the natural fluctuations. A weight app like Happy Scale or trendweight.com will even out those fluctuations and show you your downward trend.

This is just an average month for me:

878C3ED6-22D4-44A6-8466-685189D77ED7.png_zpsc614zbc9.jpeg

First day of shark week my weight goes up at least 1kg. I get a similar "gain" in green week.

None of this bothers me because I know I'm eating in a deficit.

A calorie is a calorie, no matter whether it's a calorie of spinach or a calorie of pizza crust. It's just a unit of energy.

Kind regards.
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    If you've been under your calorie limit, the weight gain is just water due to hormones, delayed onset muscle soreness from exercise, sodium and/or time of month (for women).

If you weigh every day, you'll see the natural fluctuations. A weight app like Happy Scale or trendweight.com will even out those fluctuations and show you your downward trend.

First day of shark week my weight goes up at least 1kg. I get a similar "gain" in green week.

A calorie is a calorie, no matter whether it's a calorie of spinach or a calorie of pizza crust. It's just a unit of energy.

Kind regards.

I'm assuming that the OP's goal is to maximize fat loss, as opposed to weight loss (fat + water + muscle). If you want to maximize fat loss, you need to make sure that you are preserving muscle by making sure your body gets the proper nutrition to rebuild after training. If you are just counting calories (and not macronutrients), your body might not be getting enough of a certain macronutrient e.g. protein for the optimal results.
  • msblueyes91
    msblueyes91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is so important to eat healthy , calories are not even that important as long as you dont eat unprocessed food if you stick to lots of veggies and fruits with every meal plus your complex carbs like sweet potAto quinoa brown rice and i would recommend lots of fish . Its not the same eating a 500 kcal big mac which is fatty and has no good nutritional value with a 500 kcal superfood salad for example that has the good fats from avocado protein from quinoa fiber from all the veggies etx thah waa just an example .When you eat sweets the sugar breaks down in your body and gets stored as fat. If you eat good food you wont put on weight. A natural detox drink is adding raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar to your water . Also cinnamon tea speeds up your merabolism and its full of antioxidants. Good luck
  • Orphia
    Options
    It is so important to eat healthy , calories are not even that important as long as you dont eat unprocessed food if you stick to lots of veggies and fruits with every meal plus your complex carbs like sweet potAto quinoa brown rice and i would recommend lots of fish . Its not the same eating a 500 kcal big mac which is fatty and has no good nutritional value with a 500 kcal superfood salad for example that has the good fats from avocado protein from quinoa fiber from all the veggies etx thah waa just an example .When you eat sweets the sugar breaks down in your body and gets stored as fat. If you eat good food you wont put on weight. A natural detox drink is adding raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar to your water . Also cinnamon tea speeds up your merabolism and its full of antioxidants. Good luck

Ignore all that. Lots of good intentions mixed up with lots of bad advice.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Kind regards.

I'm assuming that the OP's goal is to maximize fat loss, as opposed to weight loss (fat + water + muscle). If you want to maximize fat loss, you need to make sure that you are preserving muscle by making sure your body gets the proper nutrition to rebuild after training. If you are just counting calories (and not macronutrients), your body might not be getting enough of a certain macronutrient e.g. protein for the optimal results.

Protein is important during weight loss, yes, but the OP was worried about weight gain, which is another topic. Cheers.
  • AnvilHead
    Options

^ Second the advice to ignore that. So much woo in there it's not even worth picking apart, not one shred of good advice in the entire post. Looks like it came straight from a Dr. Oz show, except I wouldn't even expect Dr. Oz to give advice that bad.

Calories in < calories out for weight loss, it's that simple.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It is so important to eat healthy , calories are not even that important as long as you dont eat unprocessed food if you stick to lots of veggies and fruits with every meal plus your complex carbs like sweet potAto quinoa brown rice and i would recommend lots of fish .

Nope. I've eaten this way for years. i ate this way while getting fat too. (I'm no longer fat, and that's about calories.)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Wow. I'm going to go ahead and decide to believe that this is satire, because if it's not satire, then that makes me really really sad. The level of ignorance embedded in this post is unprecedented. Best way to sum it up:

Pr813V9.gif
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For weight loss purposes, calories are king. It's probably best to eat a variety of foods, but you don't have to eliminate any foods in order to lose weight.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Ack - you know some people don't know what they believe isn't scientifically accurate. They genuinely believe that stuff - mainly it's because it's what does get peddled on Dr Oz, women's mags, lunchroom banter etc. Most people when they arrive here aren't as clued up as they should be but they don't know that. They honestly believe what they are saying. I always feel a bit sad for well meaning people who get jumped on by the sarky meme brigade. I'm glad you lot all woke up knowing everything about everything.

And I KNOW people shouldn't give advice if they don't categorically know it is correct but that's the thing - people DON'T know how wrong they are. You hope that through their time here they get educated - like I was lucky enough to do. My gut reaction is a lot of them just won't come back after being roasted and will carry on with their erroneous beliefs.

Meh. I guess I want everyone to just hug it the *kitten* out. Fool that I am ;)
  • nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Daily caloric deficit is the most important thing, however it isn't the only factor. Your macronutrient break out (carbs, fat, and protein) also matter. This means that you can still eat junk food as long as you reach your macronutrient goals. For example, if your goal is to hit 100 grams of carbs in a day, a few cookies will easily get you to 100 grams of carbs. This means that you can not eat any more carbs for that day i.e no more cookies. You can only eat calories that have protein and/or fat. This is a great tool to figure out what your macrnutrient and caloric intake should be.

http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Ace calculator. Thanks for sharing.