Starting C25K TODAY!

Replies

• Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    bvff35 wrote: »
    How do you all time the intervals? Stop watch, interval watch, regular watch with second hand??

Get the Map My Run app, it's free and monitors how far and how fast you run, plus each individual mile split time. It synchs up with MFP too if you want. I had to unsynch it though cos it kept allocating me 700 calories per run, and I didn't like that. Overestimation big time.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    lislisa123 wrote: »
    I just downloaded the 5k app. I'm on week 2 I believe. I do a very light jog as I'm obese and doing a full on jog would be way too hard for all the weight I carry but I'm hoping it helps in my weight loss journey and I can one day jog lightly for a good amount of time without losing my breath if possible. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.

C25K will absolutely help with stamina. I do slow/fast walking, since jogging in beyond me at the moment. But I've found my "slow" walking speed is now much faster than it was before, and I'm less tired from walking in general.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    How do you all time the intervals? Stop watch, interval watch, regular watch with second hand??

I'm using the Runkeeper app.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited January 2016

I have a TomTom multisport which works with some of the regular interval splits, but some of the sessions are different - egg a five minute run, the minute walk followed by an eight minute run, three minute walk which it can't handle. On the c25k website there is a treadmill version, which gives you the run times, so for example you know that at minute eight of your session, you start running, then at minute fourteen you walk. This could easily be used away from a treadmill just with a stopwatch. I also sync mine with strava, and from there to MFP.
  • girlinahat
    made it through week 5 day 3 this morning. That's TWENTY minutes of straight running, no walking breaks. It was hard. Several times I thought I'd have to give up, several times I regretted not having had even a snack before I started, but I made it through, even though I had to keep slowing the pace so I was barely jogging at all. So glad I got there.

In future I'm going to start taking some music to listen to - watching an advert for a posh blender on repeat for the full time was a bit dull!!!
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    COUNT ME IN!! It's day 1 of my first week on C25K. I'm hugely overweight, my knees and ankles are completely shot, but I have to do something and a friend has talked me into the Filthy Girl mud run in September. At the moment I struggle to walk, from pain as much as the weight... but I have been fit before and know once I get my head in the right place I will lose weight, get fit and be in a much healthier place all round.
    It's just so hard getting started... and I need to find some knee braces big enough- just tried mine on and they dont fit.. not a good start! I shall be walking fast for the first couple of days till I can brace my knees.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2016
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    Just got back from a 6 miler... A shade under 10 minute mile for the whole run, with one split under 9 mins! Ok ok it was 8:56 but still, big improvement. Do you guys use the Map My Run app? It's really helpful and you can run it at the same time as the 5/10/25K apps no probs.

So as of today I switched to the 10k app as I was 3/4 through the Couch to 5K and it was just getting too easy. I was doing each workout twice, back to back and barely breaking a sweat. I jumped ahead to week 5 of the 10K and finished it no probs, then kept running for another 20 mins. It's addictive, ha.

I'm thinking of doing a 5K in March, then a couple 10Ks, then hopefully a half marathon in June..... Anyone with me?

Gang, I am a *kitten*. I thought the title of this thread was Couch 25K and didn't realize that it means Couch TO 5K. It's too late for me to delete this post but let it be known that I just realized how douchey it must have come off. Apologies.
  • girlinahat
    Just got back from a 6 miler... A shade under 10 minute mile for the whole run, with one split under 9 mins! Ok ok it was 8:56 but still, big improvement. Do you guys use the Map My Run app? It's really helpful and you can run it at the same time as the 5/10/25K apps no probs.

So as of today I switched to the 10k app as I was 3/4 through the Couch to 5K and it was just getting too easy. I was doing each workout twice, back to back and barely breaking a sweat. I jumped ahead to week 5 of the 10K and finished it no probs, then kept running for another 20 mins. It's addictive, ha.

I'm thinking of doing a 5K in March, then a couple 10Ks, then hopefully a half marathon in June..... Anyone with me?

Gang, I am a *kitten*. I thought the title of this thread was Couch 25K and didn't realize that it means Couch TO 5K. It's too late for me to delete this post but let it be known that I just realized how douchey it must have come off. Apologies.

nah - you're not a *kitten* - just someone to aspire to!!!
  • Marikanna
    Marikanna Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2016
    True! I was thinking, "all right! I can't wait to get THERE!" Good luck with your journey.
  • Marikanna
    Welcome to all the newer ppl. I am only just starting week 3 myself. I am 40# overweight but the jogging isn't too bad yet. I use the C25K app on my phone. I go outside no matter the temp. I live in New York state. I don't have a gym and I LOVE running outside. I go super slow but really concentrate on good form. I've read about barefoot natural running so even though I jog slowly I try to take quick light steps as recommended by that style. I do believe good form prevents injuries.

Where is everyone else from? Where do you run/walk?

Feel free to add me-I haven't figured out how to add friends yet.
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    C25K Week 5 Day 1 tomorrow...OMG!!!

@Marikanna I usually run on the treadmill, but plan on trying to start running outside once the weather warms up ;)

@kal900 welcome to our C25K board!! It is such a great program for beginners. I am currently on Week 5, it's hard to believe! :)

@girlinahat you rock!! 20 minutes straight is such an accomplishment - cheers to you! :p

@bvff35 I run on a treadmill, so I just printed the C25K treadmill version and bring it with me when I do my runs.

@Sez3199 congrats on signing up for your 5k! I have one coming up in February B)

• summerdaze120
    Week 5 Day 1 completed!!! 5 minute runs are pretty easy for the first two minutes, but that three minute mark..omg! Pushed through and got all of my intervals completed.
  • Marikanna
    Opposites! I feel bad up until about the 2 min mark then i get in the groove.
  • girlinahat
    Wk 6 day 1 this morning. Done on little sleep and er....quite a lot of wine drunk last night. Not bad really, plus, because I was running late for work I cut one of the walk sessions short. And still made it through!

Now I have a new problem. I find running boring. I'm hoping that when the weather improves I can go outside and that will help, but for now I need a good set of headphones and an audiobook.
  • summerdaze120
    Yeah, I just try to zone out and just run :p Did a mile in under 10 minutes today - super stoked!! 9:59 minutes!
  • summerdaze120
    Week 5 Day 2 of C25K done! The two runs were not as bad as I thought they were going to be :p A little nervous about day 3 though...... :|
  • tasch79
    tasch79 Posts: 17 Member
    I will be doing Week 5 Workout 3 tonight. Bit nervous. Seems a big jump from Workout 2!!
    Feel free to add me! :smile:
  • summerdaze120
    @tasch79 good luck! Let us know how it goes. It does seem like a big jump. I thought that it was a typo when I looked it over...
  • Lisa_Dubh
    Lisa_Dubh Posts: 35 Member
    I started it last week, have done my first 3 runs. I'm actually loving it! I've also been doing the 30 day fit app as well and I can already feel myself getting fitter! :)
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    I did W4D1 yesterday, those 5 minute runs were challenging but overall it wasn't much worse than the first day of each of the previous weeks. It's crazy how quickly you improve just by ramping things up in little intervals!