Jillian Michaels BodyShred program... worth it??

Options
Hi everyone! I'm looking at purchasing Jillian Michaels' BodyShred program, but I want to hear from people who have done it or are doing it. And if anyone is willing to share before/afters from the program, that's a huge bonus!
It's spendy so I want to make sure it's something that works and isn't boring. I'm a huge Beachbody fan, so I've got a big collection of those workouts, I'm just always looking to add to my collection and this looks like a good one.
Thanks in advance! Happy new year. :)

Replies

• bananas162
    bananas162 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just came across it on youtube.. https://youtube.com/watch?v=969ZzFyHqhA

I have it and love it, only been doing it a week and feel stronger already. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it since Monday. I am not a big workout from a DVD in the living room type, but I am finding phase 1 quite doable, will probably stick to it for the month instead of switching every 10 days. I will definitely benefit from it.

Here is a link to the 3 workouts. I wouldn't bother with the diet plan. Just use MFP for that.

Cheers, h.

http://www.the21daychallenge.com/jillian-michaels-30-day-shred
  • zml3
    zml3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have both Jillians body's red workouts and the newest is a great workout. She is awesome and very motivating. I got week 1 in so that's what I am basing this on. I workout doing bodyweight exercises, kettlebell, walking and i was able to do this but had to do modified on most but still a great workout and will get stronger so bottom line... workouts are great and with modifications.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the feedback!! Sounds like it would be worth the investment. :)
  • Kenzieb07
    Options
    I've been doing it since Monday. I am not a big workout from a DVD in the living room type, but I am finding phase 1 quite doable, will probably stick to it for the month instead of switching every 10 days. I will definitely benefit from it.

Here is a link to the 3 workouts. I wouldn't bother with the diet plan. Just use MFP for that.

Cheers, h.

http://www.the21daychallenge.com/jillian-michaels-30-day-shred

Thanks, but I'm actually considering her newest BodyShred program vs. 30 Day Shred. :) I've got 30 Day Shred and it's just not enough variety for me! I need more DVDs to choose from :)
  • 321BooM
    321BooM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred. Whilst it was difficult and really stretching me I got bored of doing exactly the same thing 10 days in a row. Could be my lack of motivation though!!
  • stephaniewedge
    stephaniewedge Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    the worst fitness program i have done. Try bodyrock.tv, started 2 years ago and haven't looked back! so much more lean and toned, and great challenges to follow with great motivational trainers!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    There are so many FREE programs on youtube that you can perform/combine for exercise. These "specialized" programs put together by sellers aren't new. They are just sold under the premise that their names make the exercises or programs "special". A squat in Jillian's DVD is the same squat you'd see in the gym (if performed correctly by both of course).
    If you want to make more challenging of variety, take the DVD's you have, look at modifications or more challenging effort on a particular exercise and then do it instead of what they are doing.

Of course these are just suggestions. I think the Beach Body DVD's are good. I've never like any of the Jillian Michaels ones. Cathy Freiderich makes much better ones IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kenzieb07
    Options
    I need to clarify I'm not referring to 30 Day Shred, rather her new BodyShred program which is 10 DVDs.

Also- unfortunately, I don't have internet in my home gym (it's detached from the house), so relying on websites isn't an option for me. :neutral:
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender sometimes will have their free workouts in a printable format, so you can take it with you. I also just discovered darebee.com, which has printable workouts that are free. All you need is a stop watch.
  • isthisolivia
    isthisolivia Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I *love* BodyShred; its similar to her other videos (3 min strength, 2 min cardio, 1 min core, repeat), but its a step up. I recommend doing some of her other programs first -- Body Revolution or mix up the Killer series 6x a week before hitting Body Shred. Its a great yet hard program -- I still cannot do the foldover/crossover pushups in Workout 3 for the life of me:
    yl87o14jm49v.png

Seriously. Hard. I do one then i curse and do regular pushups.

Anyway...i recommend, but im already a JM fan from her other videos (Extreme S&S + Killer series especially).
  • KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The number one reason I like it is because Im busy and its only 30 mins. Routines change every 2 weeks, so I never get bored. Its a 60 day program, so I'll probably use it 4-6 months before I memorize all the moves and get bored. Hopefully I'll be in better shape then xD. And those fricking crossover pushups above. OMG
  • Kenzieb07
    Options
    I did wind up getting the program and am on day 5. So far, so good! It's hard, but comparable to other programs I've been doing/have done (T25, P90X, ChaLEAN Extreme, etc.). I know I'm in the easier part of the program though so we'll see how I feel once I get into week 3 when the workouts change ;)
    How long did it take for you ladies to start seeing results?
  • Kenzieb07
    Options
    This is a different program! :) Although, I believe that any program where you are doing any type of plyometrics, you need to be careful of your knees (and other body parts as well). Certainly not specific to just one program.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

• LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Kenzieb07 wrote: »
    I did wind up getting the program and am on day 5. So far, so good! It's hard, but comparable to other programs I've been doing/have done (T25, P90X, ChaLEAN Extreme, etc.). I know I'm in the easier part of the program though so we'll see how I feel once I get into week 3 when the workouts change ;)

How does it compare to P90X to you? I was thinking of trying p90X after I finish Body Shred.

I am on Week 6 right now. The time has flown by! Until this weekend (I enjoyed way to much food this weekend) I have have averaged about a pound a week. I just stick within my calories and do not follow her meal plan. I will measure at the end of this week probably. I do feel stronger but still struggle with some moves. I love workouts with a schedule I can cross off and the time it takes is really nice. I do not like the cardio so I almost always either do a run, Turbofire, or PIYO on cardio days.

• Kenzieb07
    Options
    I hated P90X (Tony Horton annoys the crap out of me), but the results were great! Of course, you're also putting in 45 mins - 90 mins working out every day, so of course the results are going to come faster.

I am also in week 6 now and still not impressed with my (lack of) results. I haven't lost a single pound from this program! I've been tracking my calories religiously and doing well staying at or under my goal, but still nada. My body fat % isn't going down either. Ugh! Finishing up these last 3 weeks before I go back to my tried and true programs. It's a bummer because I actually enjoy the workouts, but I don't workout for fun... I want results!
    Kenzieb07 wrote: »

How does it compare to P90X to you? I was thinking of trying p90X after I finish Body Shred.

I am on Week 6 right now. The time has flown by! Until this weekend (I enjoyed way to much food this weekend) I have have averaged about a pound a week. I just stick within my calories and do not follow her meal plan. I will measure at the end of this week probably. I do feel stronger but still struggle with some moves. I love workouts with a schedule I can cross off and the time it takes is really nice. I do not like the cardio so I almost always either do a run, Turbofire, or PIYO on cardio days.

• LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have two weeks left and I have lost about .5 lbs week but looking at my numbers it is in line with my calories. It was much easier when I had more to lose and I started with Body Revolution. These last two weeks are brutal though and I feel like I have not been working out with her the last six weeks.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I start bodyshred today. I have all jillian dvds and love them. I tried body revolution and phase 1 was alittle too easy for me. I am looking for pals who have tried bodyshred or are getting ready to try it. I will post an update on my results in few weeks.
  • Smaywarner
    Smaywarner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm one week into bodyshred but missed a cardio day due to needing sleep and working night shift but I can already tell this is going to give great results. I was always in love with the 30 day shred because it always worked to get me back into shape when I fell off the wagon over the winter months and I feel like this is like the 30 day shred except it targets more muscle groups (like triceps) because you rotate workouts during he week.. I am only on week one so I can't really say too much but so far I feel like this is a solid workout and I can definitely expect to continue to tone up