Do you pay attention to macros?

Options
I am not feeling great even eating back most of the exersize calories. I have not paid attention to macros so I looked at my log- and I noticed I usually get more carbs than either fat or protein.
Thoughts?

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    My carbs are usually the higher number naturally. I mostly aim for my protein and fats and let carbs fall where they may.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I loosely pay attention to macros, but I don't track them or strive to eat the same macro count daily or even weekly. I do think about getting enough protein, not too much fat (things that are problems for me). I don't worry about amount of carbs but I pay great attention to the source of carbs. More vegetables, fruits and fiber rich foods ... that sort of thing.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Tracking macros for a while I found that carbs for me don't make me feel // perform better. Personally, I perform highest with a moderate high amount of fat and protein. The one benefit of tracking macros is you can learn your body a bit more and have more consistency. I think most people could get away just hitting their protein requirement and filling carbs // protein with however they choose.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to them? Yes.

Micro analyze them and freak out if I'm 10 grams over on carbs and 3 grams over on fat? No
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I do to some extent. Lately I've been working to reduce my carb consumption while increasing fat and protein a bit since my blood sugar levels are too high.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Adjusting and watching my macros has made a big difference to me. My macros are 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs. Increasing my fat and protein has kept me feeling full longer and not hungry. I'm a carboholic, so paying attention to my macros is important, otherwise I will eat like 60% carbs, which tends to make me want MORE carbs. I don't worry about hitting them EXACTLY, though.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    No, frankly I never even looked at them.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to them.. I like to keep my muscles when I'm in a calorie deficit which I am back to doing since receiving unwanted gifts after the holidays...

I workout daily and need my macros to make a certain goal.. Even if I am not trying to loose weight, I still want my nutrition to balance out...
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    No, not really. I glance at them occasionally but that's about it. I've pretty much figured out which foods work for me, and I eat that way most of the time and figure it all balances out over time. I'm sure not going to worry about getting X grams of this or that every single day. Life's too short for that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I try to hit at least my minimum on protein and fat. If I'm over, great. Yum. Don't pay attention to carbs.
  • Lawsey00
    Lawsey00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yep - protein, fats, carbs. .....
    Different % of everything depending on gym days or rest days
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I only pay attention to make sure I get enough protein (50g for a 149lb female), but that's only because I don't really eat meat.

It is normal and healthy to get most of your calories from carbohydrates, and is very difficult to be deficient in protein or fat as long as you eat a variety of foods.

It's also normal to feel a bit tired or run-down when eating a calorie deficit but if it's affecting your daily quality of life you should look into making sure you're getting sufficient nutrition, especially iron and calcium.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yep. I feel very bad if my fat is too low, I'm usually working on maintaining or building muscle so protein is important there, and carbs have their place as far as sanity (and workouts) go for me.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    As long as I hit 150 on protein and 50 on fat I'm good with just tracking calories..
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I do but I have specific health and nutrition goals and needs.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Only protein really. Once I hit around 140 grams of that the carbs and fat settle just fine. Also fat but to a less intent. Carbs are just here to fill the cals
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on protein because I will lag behind with that without being aware of it.
    Never have a problem with the fat minimum, and I don't worry what happens with carbs really.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I go by the % to make sure I'm not overdoing carbs. I don't mind a little daily variation and just try to keep within 5% on a weekly basis.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can you elaborate a bit on how you feel when you say that you aren't feeling great?