The scale won't move.

Options
I've been dieting for about 12 days now and I've lost 3 pounds but the number on the scale 165 doesn't want to change! I've been doing everything I can possibly do. I've elimiated junk food, soda, fast food and I've been eating healthy things and watching my portions. I am a female and my height is 5'4. Is anyone else having the same problem? Or does anyone have suggestions? I really wish I could be 150 by March but I don't know if it's possible. Please help me out.

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    3 pounds in less than 2 weeks is great progress! Congratulations!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    You are doing better than me. I've only lost 2.5 pounds over the past month. At least my weight is now going down instead of up. :)
  • cathingstars
    cathingstars Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    But why wont the scale move ? Its been the same for 4 days :(
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    It could have been water weight you lost and now that it is gone the real weight loss is going to take a little more time. Do you work out at all? That could help speed up the weight loss, also are you accurately tracking all your calories you take in?
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    You probably should only weigh once a week. Make sure it's at the same time of day and be consistent to what you wear and eat/drink before. I do first thing in the morning. That aside, how much are you eating and exercising? What kind of workout are you doing?
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Please stop weighing yourself daily. Your body can fluctuate many pounds on a daily basis. Water weight, sodium intake, food in your belly/bowels, etc. All of these things can change how much you "weigh".

You need to pick a day and time to weigh every week. For me, it is after I wake up on Saturday morning and use the restroom. Then I weigh. That is the ONLY time I weigh. Then I don't obsess over the fluctuations.

You say you are watching your portions, but are you completely, accurately counting the calories? Are you weighing (grams or oz) solids and using cups/spoons for liquids? Are you putting everything in your diary so you know exactly what you are eating or are you sometimes nibbling on things you don't bother tracking? All of these things will change how many calories you actually eat. You can't make a casserole, put in the recipe and guess what 1/4th of it is. You need to measure, measure, measure and weigh, weigh, weigh your food.
  • cathingstars
    Options
    You are doing better than me. I've only lost 2.5 pounds over the past month. At least my weight is now going down instead of up. :)

Congratulations! What was the reason for the slow weight loss? I have an event coming up and I wish I could be 150 by then so I need the weight to come off quickly
    mweckler wrote: »
    It could have been water weight you lost and now that it is gone the real weight loss is going to take a little more time. Do you work out at all? That could help speed up the weight loss, also are you accurately tracking all your calories you take in?

I don't work out much. I sometimes dance but I do keep track of calories. I eat around 1000 calories a day. I try to keep it around that range because anything more I notice weight gain.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Okay slow down- I would suggest weighing once a week, if that. You have lost 3 pounds in less than 2 weeks which is wonderful. I have had a loss of about 2 pounds in the last two months (I'm almost to goal). The less you have to lose, the slower you need to and will lose it. Losing slowly is much more sustainable. I would suggest just being patient and making small changes- don't fret about indulging sometimes- just try to fit every calorie into your goal for the day by eating less of what you love or exercising a bit more. Remember it's not a race. If you want to keep it off- it has a to be a lifestyle change which means a way to eat that you know you will have to keep up forever.
  • cathingstars
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    Please stop weighing yourself daily. Your body can fluctuate many pounds on a daily basis. Water weight, sodium intake, food in your belly/bowels, etc. All of these things can change how much you "weigh".

You need to pick a day and time to weigh every week. For me, it is after I wake up on Saturday morning and use the restroom. Then I weigh. That is the ONLY time I weigh. Then I don't obsess over the fluctuations.

You say you are watching your portions, but are you completely, accurately counting the calories? Are you weighing (grams or oz) solids and using cups/spoons for liquids? Are you putting everything in your diary so you know exactly what you are eating or are you sometimes nibbling on things you don't bother tracking? All of these things will change how many calories you actually eat. You can't make a casserole, put in the recipe and guess what 1/4th of it is. You need to measure, measure, measure and weigh, weigh, weigh your food.

I do track everything that I eat and I try to keep my calories to just 1000 per day. I drink green tea but I cannot lie that I don't work out. I usually just dance for maybe 20 mins if i have the time.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

I do track everything that I eat and I try to keep my calories to just 1000 per day. I drink green tea but I cannot lie that I don't work out. I usually just dance for maybe 20 mins if i have the time.

Why are you only eating 1000 calories a day?
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Weight loss is like 80% nutrition, 20% activity. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight but you do have to eat at a caloric deficit. If you are doing it accurately, then you just need to temper your expectations and weigh weekly. If - after a few weeks - you are losing nothing, you may need to cut back another 200 calories (this is if you were eating at a normal caloric intake, not 1,000 calories).

However, if you are only eating 1,000 calories as it is, you are already at what is considered the low end of "safe" for most women according to the National Institute of Health. You may actually need to increase that. If I were you, I would just utilize MFP as intended and eat the calories it tells me to eat.

The main thing now is to not weigh daily and not obsess. It's a long, bumpy trail. Not a race :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,240 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not clear on your post. You say you lost 3 pounds in 12 days, but the scale is not moving . . . how can that be? Either the scale has gone down 3 pounds, so it is moving, or it has not. 3 pounds in 12 days is a great loss, I just don't understand how you could measure it if your scale has not moved.

As to losing. You have a calorie goal for each day set by this site when you entered your goals. Eat that number of calories measuring your food carefully (kitchen scale for all solids and things with gram measures, and measuring cups and spoons for liquids) and you will lose weight. It has nothing to do with eating healthy, it has to do with eating at a moderate calorie deficit.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Weight loss is like 80% 100% nutrition, 20% activity. You don't HAVE to exercise to lose weight but you do have to eat at a caloric deficit. If you are doing it accurately, then you just need to temper your expectations and weigh weekly. If - after a few weeks - you are losing nothing, you may need to cut back another 200 calories (this is if you were eating at a normal caloric intake, not 1,000 calories).

However, if you are only eating 1,000 calories as it is, you are already at what is considered the low end of "safe" for most women according to the National Institute of Health. You may actually need to increase that. If I were you, I would just utilize MFP as intended and eat the calories it tells me to eat.

The main thing now is to not weigh daily and not obsess. It's a long, bumpy trail. Not a race :)

Just a small edit. Extra activity allows you eat more, but it's not necessary at all.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    You keep saying that you watch your portions but you don't say how.
  • cathingstars
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

I only eat 1000 because I don't exercise due to my heavy school load and other obligations so I just try to minimize my calorie intake
  • cathingstars
    Options
    I'm honestly not clear on your post. You say you lost 3 pounds in 12 days, but the scale is not moving . . . how can that be? Either the scale has gone down 3 pounds, so it is moving, or it has not. 3 pounds in 12 days is a great loss, I just don't understand how you could measure it if your scale has not moved.

As to losing. You have a calorie goal for each day set by this site when you entered your goals. Eat that number of calories measuring your food carefully (kitchen scale for all solids and things with gram measures, and measuring cups and spoons for liquids) and you will lose weight. It has nothing to do with eating healthy, it has to do with eating at a moderate calorie deficit.

I think the first 3 lbs were water weight and that isn't fat loss so I am just annoyed by how hard I have been working and I don't see the scale move past the water weight that I've lost.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

I only eat 1000 because I don't exercise due to my heavy school load and other obligations so I just try to minimize my calorie intake

You shouldn't eat less than 1200 a day, even when trying to cut calories, and most people's lower limit should be even higher. It's very difficult for most people to get enough nutrition from less than 1200 calories. Short women who are older (sorry - no disrespect intended) may need to drop down to 1200 to lose, but with your age and height, that's way too little for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    But why wont the scale move ? Its been the same for 4 days :(

It's just how it is. Weight loss is not like a woodchipper where you shove the input (caloric deficit) in one end and immediately get the output (weight loss equal to caloric deficit) out the other side. It varies from week to week and day to day.
  • cathingstars
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    You keep saying that you watch your portions but you don't say how.

I eat protein such as 3 oz chicken breast or salmon or lean beef. I minimize my carb intake. Of I have toast at breakfast I won't eat any carb at lunch and at dinner I would have maybe 3 tablespoons of steamed rice or pasta. I have veggies at dinner and snack on fruit or just one granola bar a day that is mostly made with nuts.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Your calorie goal already has a deficit built into it so you would still lose on 1200 even without exercise. There is no reason for you to go lower than that.

I suggest being a little more patient and read the helpful posts announcements on here and the Getting Started forum.