Calling all ladies who lift!!

Options
lesliemk
lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
Hi girls!

So I LOVE strength training and I currently do it 3x per week and it's usually broken down kinda like this... biceps/triceps/glutes, shoulders/chest/abs, quads/hamstrings/back. I do cardio and some yoga 2-3 days a week as well. So if you weight train how many days per week do you train and what muscle groups do you target together? Or do you work each muscle group on it's own day? I'm just looking for ways to mix it up!

Also, beyond eating clean and getting to my goal weight and losing body fat (which isn't easy to do while nursing, although Finley will be 1 next week) what are some ways to really get your muscles poppin'?! I love my muscles, but does everyone just do 10 push-ups and a few bicep curls before putting on a dress to go out to dinner w/ their hubby?! :D

Replies

• kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    choose your area of the day - work the bigger muscles first then work your way to the smaller muscles.

Some people's bodies are just more apt to be muscular. Ex; calves, chest, etc.

Your workout schedule looks good - just make sure you're eating enough protein to build the muscles!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I haven't started my lifting yet, but I will be in August. I've read up A LOT on the subject. You should totally pick up this book called, "The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess" it's by Lou Schuler. He covers ALL your questions in that book, plus nutrition and diet stuff.
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Id love to have a weights partner, I would go back to my gym and train with the meat heads if I had someone to go with. Alt I have stuff at home. My sessions are no where near as organised as yours, but Ive seen major toning up of my muscles, its really helped.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Chalean Extreme which is a 3X a week lifting program and it is broken up to target different muscle groups each day.
    Before I was going that I would break it up like you are now, go slow and try to max out around 12-15 reps. I would also combine muscle groups like squats with a bicep curl or hammer curl with a lunge.

I like kickboxing (I'm doing Turbo Fire) because it still works my arms and legs plus I work on push ups (try to do 1 more on my feet before going to my knees) and give my muscles a day to recover.
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Everyone does it differently but I will tell you what I do. I work out 5 days a week so I alternate lower and upper body on separate days. I do hamstrings/glutes/quads/calves on one day and do back/shoulders/chest/triceps/biceps/abs the next. Lift heavy and increase weight each week. Do low reps with heavy weight but don't hurt yourself. I would definitely pick up a copy of New rules of lifting for women, it is very helpful. Good luck!
  • BarbelleBaby
    Options
    I lift!! I LOVE it :happy:

I aim to go 3 days a week, and alternate 2 'routines': Deadlifts, Lunges and Military Press. Squats (back), Assisted Pull Ups and Rows. So I work all major muscle groups each time, but it's a sort of upper/ lower split so that I don't ache too much :) Oh and I lift high weight, for low reps ( I forget that people do this differently!!) with an aimto increasing the weight.

In between I'm trying to do some Iron Cardio following the Cosgrove programme... will find link if anyone wants it :) I've only recently got back on all this, and I've only been tracking my diet for a few days, so it might take some time to see some results but I certainly feel great after good diet and an amazing workout!!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    i was doing my legs and butt everyday ( to reduce ) and upper body every other day to build the top more. I started the 30 day shred and i cut down on the weights for now because i am using hand weights with this workout and it is killer. My muscle are not popping yet though. i still have a nice layer of fat over them.
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that bodybuilding.com is an excellent resource and can choose a program to follow. Its free!!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm starting lifting in a few weeks so interested in the replies!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I like changing it up... sometimes week to week sometimes every couple of weeks....something like this:

Day 1
    back, biceps

Day 2
    legs (leg day will cover hamstrings, quads, calves and glutes)

Day 3
    chest, triceps, shoulders
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    The best way to break it down to allow for recovery IMO is to give a day off between workout PLUS avoid overuse of the same muscles even in different workouts where as you use your bi's and tri's in your arm day but you also use them in your chest day and also shoulders day.

I do it like so to allow for the most amount of time for recovery!

M-Bi/Tri
    W-Legs
    F-Chest
    Sun-Back/shoulders

OR

M-BI/TRi
    W-Chest/Legs/ABS
    F or Sat-Back/Shoulders

Only train ABS once a week as abs are a muscle like any other. Overtraining abs will not help growth.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    i was doing my legs and butt everyday ( to reduce ) and upper body every other day to build the top more. I started the 30 day shred and i cut down on the weights for now because i am using hand weights with this workout and it is killer. My muscle are not popping yet though. i still have a nice layer of fat over them.

It's not advisable to work any muscle group daily. You should allow 48 hours for recovery time. And I have to say, there is NO WAY I could do a back to back leg day. I'd have to suggest increasing your intensity and only doing a leg day once, twice if you have to, in a week.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I LOVE lifting! I usually go 3-4 times a week and do the same plan each time, because I can stay for 60-90 minutes. I don't have my notebook with me (I keep track of weight increases, reps, etc) but as far as I can recall I usually do something like:

4 sets of 15 (4/15) leg press (and then 4/15 on just my calves)
    3/20 bench press
    4/20 military press
    4/15 triceps
    4/15 lats
    4/15 biceps
    4/15 glutes
    And at the end I do abs.

There's something I'm forgetting, but this is about what I do each time. Lifting is amazing.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love lifting!! I do it 3-4 times a week. Usually like this:

Monday- Bi's Tri's and Abs

Tuesday- Legs and Shoulders

Wednesdays- Chest, Back and Abs

Thursdays...Either Bi's and Tri's again (I love my arms) or Just straight Abs.

I also do about 20 minutes (sometimes more/less) of cardio 5 days a week.

LMAO, I love the way my muscles pop after I work out, so yes...I have been known to do some pushups or biceps curls before a date =)
  • katt742
    Options
    Oh, and each workout with warm up and cool down is about an hour.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I love lifting!! I do it 3-4 times a week. Usually like this:

Monday- Bi's Tri's and Abs

Tuesday- Legs and Shoulders

Wednesdays- Chest, Back and Abs

Thursdays...Either Bi's and Tri's again (I love my arms) or Just straight Abs.

I also do about 20 minutes (sometimes more/less) of cardio 5 days a week.

LMAO, I love the way my muscles pop after I work out, so yes...I have been known to do some pushups or biceps curls before a date =)

Overworking your muscles. Try to stick to 1 body part a week. Trust me on this....yes their is tons of sited proof to my statement as well.
  • iva001
    iva001 Posts: 162
    Options
    Its sounds like you are in the gym a long time..

I do cardio for an hour, then

Upper Body and Abs OR Lower Body and Abs AND Stretching

i do this 4-5 times a week.

I try to be in the gym for no longer than 1 and half hour because I am a student, also I get bored staying there any longer.
  • katt742
    Options
    Oh lol, I also do HEAVY and SLOW.

I do a 6-2 count. And i Do 3 sets of 8.