Have there been times

Options
Have there been specific weights you've had a hard time breaking through? Like, did you find it difficult to get out of the 180s for instance or the 200s or something? How long did it last and did you wait it out or do something different?

Replies

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Yes, it took me a long time to get out of the 190's. Several months. I had to just buckle down and change my routine up a bit. I realized I wasn't working as hard as I could be, or logging as accurately.

Now I'm struggling to get out of the 160's. I keep fluctuating between 165 and 169. It's my own fault though. I haven't been diligent or consistent enough when it comes to eating right, and the right amounts.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    175 ish was a struggle. I think I sat at 175 for 3 weeks.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Breaking below 160.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I think I'm just jumping the gun thinking something is off. I've been really lucky that weight loss for me so far has been pretty linear. I've enjoyed seeing a loss every time I step on the scale. Then I got pneumonia and lost 4.5 pounds in a week. The next week I gained three back but quickly lost another pound to 1.5 pounds. Now I haven't seen a loss since then in about a week. I think this is probably normal and I'm just over thinking and over reacting to it but going from a steady loss every time I step on the scale to this wonky crap going on since I got sick is irritating and confusing me lol.
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you gotta reset. If you've been eating at a caloric deficit for a long period of time, take a week or two and eat at maintenance and start again. You won't gain (except maybe some water weight) if you eat at maintenance, but it should help you break through the plateau.

At least that is one method I've used in the past as well as reading various articles. Not sure if there is a science around it or not, though.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I have been struddling to get out of the 170's for a while now... hoping this time will be the one to get me out and keep me going
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Getting down to 110 from 115 is a long process. I've been at it since November. I was between 115 and 116 for a while, then had a big deficit for two weeks and stayed at 115. I got really hungry the next week and ate a bunch of food with a surplus every day, but somehow weighed in at 114.4 after that week. After the holiday aftermath, I ballooned up to 119 due to water weight, which quickly became 116 in a few days. Now I'm at 115.5 again. LOL. I don't eat at a deficit every day, but I make sure I have a deficit of 875 to 1750 calories per week for a .25 to .5 pound loss. Any more than that is just not doable at my size.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses! I think I'm just jumping the gun thinking something is off. I've been really lucky that weight loss for me so far has been pretty linear. I've enjoyed seeing a loss every time I step on the scale. Then I got pneumonia and lost 4.5 pounds in a week. The next week I gained three back but quickly lost another pound to 1.5 pounds. Now I haven't seen a loss since then in about a week. I think this is probably normal and I'm just over thinking and over reacting to it but going from a steady loss every time I step on the scale to this wonky crap going on since I got sick is irritating and confusing me lol.

Any body know if what I'm describing here is normal after being sick or when weight loss will go back to normal?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Any body know if what I'm describing here is normal after being sick or when weight loss will go back to normal?

Do you chart it? I felt like I was stuck but according to my graph it's mostly normal fluctuations.

b78f275457ba8a2a43217286384f677a.png
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I just record in mfp because until I got sick I registered a loss every time I stepped on the scale.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just record in mfp because until I got sick I registered a loss every time I stepped on the scale.

That's not normal :)
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I know it was psychologic, but for me, every 10 lbs was a threshold that I seemed to have a hard time breaking through.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's not normal :)

Lol I figured I would enjoy the phenomenon so as not to anger the weight loss gods.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes, it took me a long time to get out of the 190's. Several months. I had to just buckle down and change my routine up a bit. I realized I wasn't working as hard as I could be, or logging as accurately.

Now I'm struggling to get out of the 160's. I keep fluctuating between 165 and 169. It's my own fault though. I haven't been diligent or consistent enough when it comes to eating right, and the right amounts.

this is me exactly! doubly frustrating because it is my own fault and yet i can't seem to stop from getting in my own way! :|

good luck! and i would think being pretty sick for a bit would completely throw off your weight.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I know it was psychologic, but for me, every 10 lbs was a threshold that I seemed to have a hard time breaking through.

Yeah. This.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Usually struggle in the 170's which is why I've always given up in the past. Now I'm struggling with the 160's just really need to get back on track with eating the proper amount after the holidays. I'm at 162 wanting to see 15whatever on the scale, I've been in the 160's since the beginning of Nov. when I first broke out of the 170's feeling good to have made it this far though, sad but this is the smallest I have ever been in my adult life.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I went from 236 - 175 pretty easily. Took a while, but my weekly losses were consistent. Ive been wavering between 171&174 since Halloween! I will get below 170 by feb!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    outside of some normal weight flucations where I got stuck for 2 weeks and then had a fast drop, or vacations/travel/birthdays/holidays, no I did not get stuck anywhere from 220lb to 175lb.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    Sometimes you gotta reset. If you've been eating at a caloric deficit for a long period of time, take a week or two and eat at maintenance and start again. You won't gain (except maybe some water weight) if you eat at maintenance, but it should help you break through the plateau.

At least that is one method I've used in the past as well as reading various articles. Not sure if there is a science around it or not, though.

It is taking a mental break. If you really weren't losing weight then you were eating at maintenance anyways. Mental breaks every once in a while are important. It helps us stay on track when we are trying to lose weight.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    getting past 200 and then 180 both seemed to take forever