solutions for stretch marks

Options
kiddiebqueen17
kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
Before I start splurging on expensive cream that may not work, thought I would ask for any known solutions for stretch marks.

thanks

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think anything works. I've tried the usual stuff...vitamin E, cocoa butter, stuff like that and don't think it has helped. I have heard mixed reviews on Mederma or whatever it's called, but have not tried.

Keeping a tan helps the most in my opinion by making them blend better. Other than that, I think they are there to stay..which sucks...but I've come to show them with pride these days.
  • Shelley8266
    Shelley8266 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've used Bio Oil which has helped. They haven't disappeared and I'm sure never will but they have faded a lot.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    Options
    Yeah, I was told to use baby oil as a preventitive when I was pregnant. Can't be certainit wasthe oil, but it seemed to help because I didn't get any stretch marks. But I am starting to notice them on my legs and not sure whether baby oil will help since it's already there.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    bio oil fan
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I used cocoa butter for three pregnancys and no marks.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Learning to love them once you have them; I noticed mine were less noticable as I lost weight but they'll still be there for the most part. The most you can do is try products that can help fade them.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, nothing will get rid of them completely. Bio-oil will help, moisturizing will help, laser treatments will help, time will help fade them. But once they happen, they are there to stay, just like a scar. Mine have faded but still look like white scars on my stomach. Think of the marks as part of your life story: "I had a baby and here are the stretch marks to show it". Or, "I once lost 50lbs and here are my stretch marks to show it". Accept them for what they are, don't spend a lot of time worrying about it and don't spend a lot of money trying to make them disappear.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    They are "scars" and go beyond the epidermis. Topicals can camouflage or "hide" them, but if you get them, they'll NEVER go away, just like a scar.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My best solution is to be proud of whatever accomplishment you did to earn them. Mine are surviving puberty and diabetes, and 3 enormous babies.

I used to massage different creams and oils on them to make myself feel better, but getting older and wiser helped a lot more.

Too bad I couldn't use that cure when I was 14 and my weight was ballooning out of control.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Ultimately acceptance and finding it within yourself to be at peace about the fact that these marks are there, permanently.

Mitigating the impact can come in the form of sheer luck through genetics, losing weight slowly and avoiding yo-yo dieting....

How long you have been overweight and when you start losing also have their own place in the severity of the scarring.....ie: younger skin has many advantages over older. That being said I started losing weight in my late 40's and I was very heavy (278 lbs) now down to 110 lbs, after 2 pregnancies tossed in, I certainly bear the visual marks of the life I have lived.....after a lot of positive self-talk I for the most part have learnt to embrace my body with all its flaws, imperfections and now focus more on the amazing things my body can still do.

You may find a good skin care regime helpful with the overall look of the marks and as someone else has mentioned a light tan can help visually.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    They'll lighten up over time. A lot of time.
  • chaosbutterfly
    chaosbutterfly Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has helped mine become way less noticeable. I used to have really bad ones on my stomach, thighs and arms, but since losing weight, I only see them if I am looking for them or if I look at my skin at the right angle or if I stretch out my skin to make them more prominent. I also use bio oil and cocoa butter, and massage them into my skin thoroughly to encourage healing and tightening. Not sure if the oils and massage actually do anything but they make me feel better lol.

I do have some very deep ones on my flanks and weirdly in my underarm area that I don't think will be helped as much with weight loss. Once I'm down to my goal weight, if they are still very noticeable, I plan to do a combination of microneedling/dermastamping and copper peptide serum to try to get them to heal.
    I've read that the only way to really make a difference in stretch marks is to physically break up the scar tissue and to re-traumatize the skin to encourage collagen reformation. The stretch marks will still be there because biology, but the appearance and texture are supposed to be better.

• kiddiebqueen17
    Options
    Would going to a tanning Salon make them less noticeable?
  • hookahbinx
    hookahbinx Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Laser removal surgery
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have used this with good success: Arbonne, Re9 Advanced Firming Body Cream
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just put some lotion/cocoa butter on them daily to keep my skin moisturized in hopes that'll help them lighten up quicker. But I know tyeyllbe there to some extent forever. I'm okay with that, anything that shows the progress I've made and how hard I've tried is just fine with me. :)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Mederma worked really well when I had a substantial scar on my face, but I used it from the very beginning.

Nothing worked to prevent stretch marks when I was pregnant.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts