abs and arms after knee surgery

Hi all,
I'm about a week away from having knee arthroscopic surgery. I'm obviously going to follow the doctor's instructions with regard to physical activity for my legs. I realize the recovery will take time and I'm fully ok with whatever muscle atrophy comes with it. I know I'll be able to build it all back with PT and exercise once I'm healed.

BUT...
Does anyone have any experience trying to keep their upper body and core from atrophying too much during the leg recovery?

I assume I'll still be able to do core and arm exercises so long as they don't require my leg muscles. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Pie319
    Pie319 Posts: 129 Member
    womp womp I'm impatient. lol
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Not excactly leg recovery; but some advice from some on who has experience muscle atrophy, aka me, would be to try to keep your core as strong as possible without overdoing it. Be wary of exercises that might effect your Knee like leg raises or wrapping legs around a decline bench. As far as your arms, if you want some big guns you could fire away there. Plenty of seated stuff you could do for your shoulders and arms.
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    I had knee surgery a couple of years ago. My husband bought boxing gloves and pads and I did seated boxing...great cardio and upper body workout and also great for banishing frustration!!!
  • kimiuzzell
    kimiuzzell Posts: 611 Member
    Good luck with your surgery!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    i hobbled to the gym and used the machines for upper body after my ACL replacement. I also did some stuff on a bench with free weights , like dumbell press, shoulder presses, or skull crushers, etc. I didn't go heavy with the free weights, but i could go heavy with the machines since they were all stable and i could avoid leg drive. I used the cable pull down a lot, and when i could stand i used that for triceps. I wasn't too worried about maintaining my core mostly because in order to effectively engage my core for a workout i use a lot of my legs and i didn't want to jeopardize my rehab at all. I felt i got enough core work just from the free weights and keeping my abs engaged on the machines. I also had to do a ton of knee rehab exercises, i stayed busy at the gym for sure. Good luck.
  • Pie319
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    I had knee surgery a couple of years ago. My husband bought boxing gloves and pads and I did seated boxing...great cardio and upper body workout and also great for banishing frustration!!!

Boxing is a great idea! I should have thought of it! Boxing is one of my fav things already.
  • Pie319
    kimiuzzell wrote: »
    Good luck with your surgery!

Thanks! This is my 3rd surgery on this knee so I know the rehab drill pretty well. But the other times I had surgery I really let myself go, using the surgery as an excuse for far longer than warranted. Trying to avoid that this time!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I'm with my friend Sonya. I had an ACL replacement. I hobbled off to the gym on my crutches and got on the machines for shoulders and back and chest and arms until I was given the go-ahead to use my legs. I probably did not accomplish much except to burn some calories and get some movement. But I was always glad I did it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    I actually slowed down and focused on my upper body form, and used the machines as guides to perfect my form and really concentrate on how to engage and hit specific muscles, to the point that when i returned to my trainer my upper body was stronger and better than before. I actually hit a bench PR the day i returned. My legs, not so much, it was another 8 months before i got released to do lower body stuff, and by then they were so atrophied i had to start from scratch and still haven't hit my maxes yet at 15 months post op.