Advice wanted!

Options
Hello all, I am new to MFP and using this to help me with diet and to create new friends to really motivate me to achieve my goals!

However, I am being a little naughty and wanting some advice. Has anyone on here tried Ephedrine? A friend off mine works with a girl who lost a ton off weight taking these tablets. I want some advice as to whether these are worth my while to help me boost my weight loss, or can be extremely dangerous? I work at a hospital so already have some pretty good advice, but off course the advice I am giving is to stay clear off these pills. I just want to hear from people who may have taken Ephedrine themselves...

Thanks guys :smile:
Feel free to add me too!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Listen to your coworkers. Nothing good can come from taking it.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    DON'T DO IT! I took them a few years back and made my heart race and made me really sick. It is totally not worth it. Not to mention, don't you want to say you did it on your own? I don't want a pill to get the credit for my hard work. :smiley:
  • lozkent
    lozkent Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    jenelh wrote: »
    DON'T DO IT! I took them a few years back and made my heart race and made me really sick. It is totally not worth it. Not to mention, don't you want to say you did it on your own? I don't want a pill to get the credit for my hard work. :smiley:

Yeah I took 2 today before I went to the gym, and the treadmill stated my heart to be at 170bpm. Which really did scare me. I totally agree with you, I want to say I did it, but sometimes all you want to do is speed the process up! :(
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Nope. You didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight either.

That crap is dangerous. There is no such thing as a quick fix. Be responsible and do it the correct way.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Just don't. If you like throwing money at things you could give it to me.
  • noranelfazary
    noranelfazary Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Very dangerous . Have alot of side effects
    Don't do that .
    Any drugs has alot of side effects so if you want to lose weight
    * NO drugs
    *healthy deit
    *exercise

• johnboy916
    johnboy916 Posts: 52 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have heard they banned ephedrine. When I was a furniture delivery guy; every day of my shift I would stop at a GNC and pick a drink called "Ripped to the Max" this drink was loaded with ephedrine. .... It was awesome! Made feel like the hulk! I do not know if it was the ephedrine alone OR the other ingredients in the drink..... with that said, my understanding of ephedrine is that is a drug for the lungs...... like a "steroid" makes breathing easier..... i thought it was banned...... I used to take the "yellowjacket" pills as well......... Good luck with your decision' :#
  • bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Yeah, wasn't this half of phen-fen which was killing lots of people? I say what everyone else does,
  • Jonathan5491
    Jonathan5491 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't take drugs to lose weight. The equation is simple; eat less calories and exercise more. More specifically, the minimum caloric intake for women is 1200 calories and weight training forces the body to work harder, which in turn uses more energy to lift the weights, which in turn burns more calories. I followed this and lost 20 pound in 1 month and 3 weeks, and that even includes the days I took more calories than I should and did not work out some days. Give it a shot, but please don't use drugs to lose weight. They don't work as healthily as they're advertised.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Even your profile says you are sick of fads that don't work. Long-term nothing good can come from taking pills. Eat clean, exercise and the weight will come off - and stay off. I've keep over 100 lbs off for over 4 years.
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    " I want some advice"... Peoples advice - " Don't do it "... Response - " Yeah, I took two today... "

Here's yer sign !

Look, if you are truly interested in meaningful results the you aren't going to try and cut corners with pills... eat right, exercise and do what you have to do... it ain't easy but it's worth it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why ephedrine is banned in the US. Just saying.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    So I tried it before. It makes you lose weight because you feel like you can run 50 miles. It gives you a crazy energy boost. Nobody wants to talk about what happens later. You can't live like that. It becomes addictive. It makes you think you can't function without it. Like a drug. It's basically an upper. I hated not taking it. It seemed almost mental. So yes I lost weight. but when I stopped using it the weight came back because the workouts weren't the same. I don't know anyone who just took it and sat around and dropped weight. It doesn't work like that.
    Bottom line. Let your endorphins be your natural drug. Oh, and get a heart rate monitor! What a game changer. All that fussing I was doing about my chest felt like it going to explode and my heart rate would only be 130. The mind is powerful. It'll limit you if you let it. Now I push because I know my body can take it.

Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    " I want some advice"... Peoples advice - " Don't do it "... Response - " Yeah, I took two today... "

Here's yer sign !

Look, if you are truly interested in meaningful results the you aren't going to try and cut corners with pills... eat right, exercise and do what you have to do... it ain't easy but it's worth it.

Haha! It says that this is your first post, but it sounds like you know how things tend to work around here!

Yeah, OP, get rid of those pills. They will do much more harm than good.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    These are bad no matter what you do. But, if for whatever reason you decide to take them you do not take them before you work out. The job they do is to raise your heartrate. Raising your heartrate is part of what makes you lose weight. Two of my friends took it to lose weight and the first thing they learned ( after tons of research and using it) is that you only take them on the days you do NOT workout. Working out raises your heartrate. Taking these pills raises it more. Put the two together and you get heart attacks. That's why they are not approved medically. Good luck whatever you choose, but my advise is to skip the pills.

Also, so I don't sound like a fool, that's not the ONLY reason they are banned, lol.
  • lozkent
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    So I tried it before. It makes you lose weight because you feel like you can run 50 miles. It gives you a crazy energy boost. Nobody wants to talk about what happens later. You can't live like that. It becomes addictive. It makes you think you can't function without it. Like a drug. It's basically an upper. I hated not taking it. It seemed almost mental. So yes I lost weight. but when I stopped using it the weight came back because the workouts weren't the same. I don't know anyone who just took it and sat around and dropped weight. It doesn't work like that.
    Bottom line. Let your endorphins be your natural drug. Oh, and get a heart rate monitor! What a game changer. All that fussing I was doing about my chest felt like it going to explode and my heart rate would only be 130. The mind is powerful. It'll limit you if you let it. Now I push because I know my body can take it.

Good luck!

This is the kind off response I was looking for! Someone with experience in taking these pills. I really appreciate your reply Sanfromny. I wanted to weigh out the negatives, to the positives off taking these pills, and of course the negatives power over the positives. The last thing I want to do is put my body in danger, HENCE the reason for this post, so I'd really appreciate less of the sarcastic comments. :smile:

Thank you to the replies who answered my question maturely. I have taken everyones responsies on board. Much appreciated!
  • lozkent
    Options

Here's yer sign !

I took two of these pills BEFORE I asked for peoples advice, thanks.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    smoking will be more effective than ephedrine. Either way, are you prepared to take these forever to stay the weight you want? At some point you'll have to develop the discipline of eating the right amount, may as well develop it now.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine is also highly addictive and is one of the ingredients used in meth. So... think about that for a second. When I was 18 I worked a third shift job in a *kitten* midwest town making machine parts. I took ephedrine to stay awake. Got addicted, had to get clean, etc. I barely remember working there, ended up living in a crazy situation, etc. Lost a ton of weight because I never ate... was never hungry, killed a relationship that was probably one of the better ones of my life.

Not a good time.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not a problem Lozkent. The honest non judgemental answer is that there's more to it than just popping a pill. At times I go the vitamin store and there they are, an array of pills saying how fast I'm gonna drop 20lbs and I'm like Yes, that's what I need. I want to buy them. I'm still tempted but I haven't in 5 years. I want to lay on a table so a doctor can suck this fat out and I wake up a size 5. I wanna look like Beyonce from the chest down. I'm keeping my breast (they are bigger and better :p ) But I don't have surgeon money, I don't have personal trainers and I have a job that requires me to sit for hours at a time. So at the end of the day it's all me.

Quick story, so a co-worker and I two years ago both lost about 25lbs. I worked my *kitten* off going to the gym watching what I ate, she called me a rat. Did it in about 6 months....yep a slow grueling process. She had some kind of surgery to get her adnoids? or something like that removed. She lost her sense of taste so she couldn't eat the same. In a month she dropped like 25 lbs.

When people asked her what did she do, all she could say was she had surgery so she couldn't eat. When they asked me I told them I worked my *kitten* off. She would say I did it the hard way.

A year later she put it all back and then some, me I kept it off until recently and that's because I stopped going to the gym and not watching what I ate and I still haven't put all of it back maybe about 10 or so lbs... but the pills? I still won't do.

Last thing about the pills. When I took the pills I dropped to about 160 and people did noticed but when I worked out and dropped to 165 everyone noticed. It wasn't about the fat that the pills say you'll lose, I toned up and put on muscle so everyone that I was lying and that I was about 145-150. They'd say no way, you need to go weigh yourself. I told them that I did and they'd tell me use another scale. I'd have to weigh myself in front of people for them to see.

It's about those kind of victories