Craptastic, I just want need a healthy way to lose weight.

Options
So six years ago, I had the gastric bypass surgery and for awhile I was happy. Then three years ago, I had my baby girl and the weight find me again. For some people that have the surgery, it works great for them but for me, I never changed my eating habits. So after I had my daughter I gained the majority of the that I had lost. So here I am, in my mid thirties trying once again to lose 100 lbs. I know the hows, the whys and the what I shouldn't eat. I went through the classes and meet with health coaches and dietitians. But I'm at the point now, where I need to figure out how to apply the wealth of knowledge I have learned about healthy habits into my daily life. Any suggestions, thoughts, idea, HELP!!!

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head -- you didn't learn how to change your habits. That's the problem with quick fixes. Simply put, eat less than you burn. Have you put in your stats on MFP? What did it say? Tell us your height, weight, goal weight, and open your food diary. People here are point blank and will tell you exactly what you need to do. Listen to them with an open mind. Don't get caught up in "I know what I shouldn't eat." You can eat what you want, but it ALL must fall under your calorie allotment for the day. Have patience. Don't come back on in three weeks crying that you haven't lost enough. It TAKES TIME to change habits and see lasting results. Don't kill yourself in the gym...start with walking if you're out of shape. There's a few things.
  • SWink06
    SWink06 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost 126, kept it off for a year, and then regained 56 when times got tough and I returned to old habits (emotional eater here). The number one piece of advice I could give is expect to be hungry -- at least I am experiencing what feels like hunger, even if it's just in my head with a very strong desire to eat. I'm just so used to shoving something into my mouth when I felt "hungry" justifying that it's not normal to feel hunger. Well, for me at least it is. Once I could accept that feeling I was better able to resist it. I stopped lying to myself and that feeling lost power.

Do you know why you eat? Can you examine your feelings that make you want to overeat/eat the wrong types of foods at the time you have those urges? If you can figure that out it is also easier to resist them. For me, when I would get stressed/tired/depressed/bored I would comfort myself with food -- usually sugar, simple carbs, or chocolate. It was so automatic I didn't think about it. I would feel better for a bit, so it was rewarding, but soon the feeling would go away and I would feel horrible and terribly ashamed. And yet, rinse and repeat I kept doing it. Once I figured out what my triggers were or what feelings I was trying to hide from I would make myself sit down and go over those feelings and examine what was causing them -- really dealing with them instead of trying to eat them away. I would remind myself that I couldn't truly eat those feelings away. It was HARD. But it does get easier. And as you learn to do this (and for me it's a struggle because in times of stress I have those desires again) it does get easier and easier to deal with feelings instead of trying to hide them in food.

Some practical tips:
    Make sure to log everything -- no matter how small it might seem.
    Weigh and measure. Just eyeballing it or guessing is a great way to go over.
    Drink lots of water.
    Log even on the bad days. Be honest with yourself. By "cheating" on what you log you're only harming yourself and sabotaging your efforts. By facing it head-on you can move on.
    Going along with that be patient with yourself. If you slip up, don't give up! As a friend told me, having a binge or making a poor choice is one thing. But sabotaging yourself for the rest of the day (or week, etc.) is like someone getting a flat tire and then going around and slashing the other three tires because the first one was already flat. It doesn't make sense. Just move on. (this was super helpful for me when I felt like giving up after a poor choice)
    Concentrate on how healthier eating makes you feel. After awhile you will find that healthier foods make you feel good, give you more energy, etc., and the unhealthier foods have the opposite effect. That in itself can be very motivating to continue to make better choices -- especially when cravings hit. Is it worth the feelings (emotionally, mentally, AND physically to eat this food? Sometimes yes, but most of the time for me it was no.)
    And find ways to satisfy cravings in healthier ways. It can be portion size, it can be a healthier alternative, it can be an occasional indulgence that you set aside the calories for. That's much more sustainable. For me, it's a fun-size pack of peanut M&Ms every day (90 calories) that satisfies my sweet tooth and helps me stick to my plan for the long-term.

Best of luck. You can do this!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest thing (for me) is to start by knowing what you WILL eat, even if you know what you'd prefer to avoid.

Browse some healthy food blogs/recipes. www.skinnytaste.com, www.eatingwell.com, www.slenderkitchen.com, www.cookinglight.com, www.theskinnyfork.com and so many more.

Pick a few breakfasts that you'd eat over the course of a week.
    Pick a few lunches, dinners, and snacks ideas.

Put them in the recipe builder.

This will help you grocery shop, and help you have an easy plan on what to cook for your family. From there, expand your list. Keep trying new recipes every week, or if you like something keep the ingredients on hand.

You can pre-log your days based on your plans and tweak as you go, OR you can just log as you go, but at least you never have the "what can I possibly eat right now?!" mode.

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You really need to educate yourself on sustainable weight loss and maintenance. I would suggest reading these threads and forums not just looking for tips & tricks.

Start here:

for weight loss:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

for maintenance:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300324/most-helpful-posts-goal-maintaining-weight-must-reads#latest
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Start small. One week focus on tracking everything without changing anything. The next week, track everything and carry a bottle of water with you at all times. Drink 16oz of water when you first wake up, drink 8oz before every meal. The next week, track everything, drink your water, and aim for 10,000 steps a day. The next week, track, water, steps, plan healthy breakfast every day. Etc
  • indygirl217
    indygirl217 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice, suggestions and reading materials. Equus, I'm taking baby steps and I walk for thirty minutes a day during my lunch break. It's with a group. It's not a power walk. I can talk while walking but that's about it.

Swink, I think I'm more a creature of habit. I eat because it's there. I'm trying to instead snack healthy. I have found several healthy recipes from a variety of websites that I'm trying to put to good use. It's so much easier to buy something up from the store than to take the time to create something healthy but I'm trying to change my mind set about things. Logging everything has really been an eye opener for me. I mean, who know Starbucks Carmel Apple Spice had that many grams of sugar. That's like diabetes in a cup.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Maybe lay out a pre-logged day with meals and snacks that you think you can live with. Not too restrictive but healthier than you are currently eating. See if you can get through one day on your plan. Then make adjustments and go from there. I find that pre-logging helps take the guesswork out of it, and it helps to know exactly when your next meal or snack will come and what it will be.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    You seem to have a good attitude and a genuine interest in positive changes. Good for you!

During the time period after your weight loss surgery, when you said you were happy, what worked for you then? What were you eating? What quantities? Any way to replicate the habits that were successful for you back then, maybe just adjusted slightly now?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It really is a matter of changing your eating habits. Problem is, changing an established habit is HARD, which is why a lot of people go with the quick fix and end up yo-yo dieting.

If you want some advice on how to change your habits, my advice is to start small. Spend a couple weeks logging EVERYTHING to see how you normally eat and identify patterns. Then, start with one change. Give yourself time to get used to it, and then change something else. It's perfectly ok to start small and build on the smaller successes. That was better for me in learning what a proper portion is and how to fit it into my day, as well as giving me many successes to celebrate and keep me wanting to stay on track. Those successes weren't tied to the scale, either. For example, to get into the habit of logging, I bribed myself for each month where I didn't miss a day of logging. Then I would have a mini celebration when I did. For me, that was how I established the habit of logging, even if I went over (and I did a lot at first!). Now, I'm in my target range and I'm fairly confident that I can stay there. I've changed my eating habits enough that I can keep on the right track.

tl;dr - Start small and build on the smaller successes you have. If you're making obvious progress in changing your habits, not just losing weight, you'll be less likely to quit.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice, suggestions and reading materials. Equus, I'm taking baby steps and I walk for thirty minutes a day during my lunch break. It's with a group. It's not a power walk. I can talk while walking but that's about it.

This is the right idea. ANY kind of moving around that's over and above what you were doing is positive, even if it doesn't burn a lot of calories. Any extra calories burned is extra calories burned, and the small things do add up!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You are off to a good start. Logging is key.
    Also two more links that can be helpful:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-beginners-guide-to-myfitnesspal/
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/recipes/snacks/
  • BirdyWeirdy77
    BirdyWeirdy77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Try this diet structure
    Breakfast - 2.5 Oz of meat, small carb, and veggie

Morning snack - 2.5Oz meat, and fruit

Lunch - 4oz meat, carb and veggie

Noon snack - 2.5 Oz meat and carb

Dinner - 4oz meat, carb, and veggie

Late snack - frozen fruit .25 cup

This works ! Just make sure ur carb Is low like 1/2 cup of brown rice, or 1/2 cup of pasta. U can have as much veggie as u want, u can even have salad, but no possessed dressing. A vinegar of some kind with salt is what's best.
    I'm telling u it works I lost 3 pounds In 1 day!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Something I thought of to add that I forgot to mention. We all have our own methods. If you try someone's advice and it doesn't work, that doesn't mean you've failed, it just means that that particular method isn't for you. You have to find what works FOR YOU and is something you'll be content doing for the rest of your life. For example, there are people that are happy to go low/no carb and they're fine with it. I can't do that. You'll pry the garlic breadsticks out of my cold dead hands! XD So I don't try the low carb diet because while I could do it for a little while, I couldn't do it the rest of my life, which means I'd regain the pounds I lost when I go back to how I was eating before.

Getting advice and methods from others is great, it gives you ideas and directions to try. But if something isn't work well for you or you just don't feel like you want to do it the rest of your life, it's ok to try another method or mix some things up. When you hit a method that works well for you and is sustainable, you'll know. ^_^
  • indygirl217
    Options
    Great. Thank you everyone.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Try this diet structure

This works ! Just make sure ur carb Is low like 1/2 cup of brown rice, or 1/2 cup of pasta. U can have as much veggie as u want, u can even have salad, but no possessed dressing. A vinegar of some kind with salt is what's best.

Totally unnecessary. You can eat literally anything you want, as long as you are in a calorie deficit, and still lose weight.
  • indygirl217
    Options
    I don't want to "diet" because I know they don't work long term. I'm looking for something more of a change in my eating habits.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Try this diet structure

No you didn't lose three pounds in one day due to eating this. You may have dropped some water weight but not three pounds of fat. One pound equals a deficit of 3500 calories. You didn't have a deficit of 11500 calories that day. Not possible. Maybe not even possible if you ran every minute you weren't eating and I doubt you were doing that.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I don't want to "diet" because I know they don't work long term. I'm looking for something more of a change in my eating habits.

The change is the logging part. Being aware of your caloric intake is the best thing you can do to keep healthy.

You can eat whatever you feel like, so long as it's within your calorie limit.

You don't need to change your diet. Just the amount.

This is how I've lost 28 kg (62 lbs) since April.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

That is a very good point to start with

And it is a easy concept. Eat at a deficit and you lose weight!

So start logging your food here. Start weighing all your food ( dont use cups or spoons but weigh it)
    Create a deficit ( so burn more than you take calories in) Next to that you can start moving more if you want to.

If you want it, you will do it and stick to it.

Good luck OP. Just start doing what your have in your mind...step by step. and the weight will come off!

95069916.png

• gettinfabnfit
    gettinfabnfit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Can you go low carb? I find it the easiest and less hungry if you have no health issues
  • indygirl217
    Options
    I have been walking five days a week usually for 30 minutes to an hour. I have lost 3.2 pounds so far. I'm feeling great.