How many calories can I burn doing 30 squats?

Options
Hey guys I looked it up on my fitness pal but I can't find it and I wanted to have an idea. Also how many calories I can burn doing jumping jacks?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    30 squats? bodyweight? Bar + 80? Wide range. Regardless, very few and not enough to log. There are plenty of other excellent reasons you should do squats tho... Killer tush... etc

Jumping jacks log as calisthenics. No one could give you a number without your stats.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I looked it up on my fitness pal but I can't find it and I wanted to have an idea. Also how many calories I can burn doing jumping jacks?

Squats would usually be strength training, and strength training burns few calories.
    Continuously doing jumping jacks would probably have a burn measure based on minutes, rather than "jacks" done. I imagine it would be incredibly variable based on the intensity one does them at.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Depends how long you are doing them, your current height and weight and if these squats are weighted. However, the actual amount of calories burned is probably going to be very little, I mean 30 squats without added weight takes what 3 minutes...that's for me maybe 3-5 calories burned off. Not exactly worth recording imo
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of squats they are and how quickly you do them.

If they're regular bodyweight squats I'd log them as X minutes of calisthenics at light/moderate effort.
  • holothuroidea
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Squats would usually be strength training, and strength training burns few calories.
    Continuously doing jumping jacks would probably have a burn measure based on minutes, rather than "jacks" done. I imagine it would be incredibly variable based on the intensity one does them at.

I think if you can do 30 reps of anything it ceases to be strength training.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Is this where I say "not enough to log" and get blasted for not being supportive?

I said it in the first reply, should I build myself a bomb shelter quick?
  • blankiefinder
    Options

No. Plus, you don't know if they are continuous, 6 sets of 5, 3 sets of 10...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Not enough to worry about.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Probably 30 reps of body weight as I don't know any lifters who would say I did 30 squats today. That's be much more specific unless it is an amrap set lol
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Don't view exercise as a way to burn calories. It's an easy way to get in a bad cycle of trying to exercise off a bad diet. Get your diet on point regardless of exercises and then use exercise to increase your deficit if you're dieting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    20 calories? It's not going to be much. Even if it took you 5 seconds to do one squat, that's only 2 1/2 minutes of squats. And even doing HIIT for 2 minutes, you're not going to burn a lot of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • holothuroidea
    Options

I have to assume that she's doing bodyweight squats for time, because otherwise 30 squats doesn't make much sense. I believe I already said that.

Resistance training and strength training aren't the same. Strength training requires doing something of high intensity for 1-5 reps. Even if you could do 6 sets of 5, you're really in the territory of hypertrophy training at that point.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

I have to assume that she's doing bodyweight squats for time, because otherwise 30 squats doesn't make much sense. I believe I already said that.

Resistance training and strength training aren't the same. Strength training requires doing something of high intensity for 1-5 reps. Even if you could do 6 sets of 5, you're really in the territory of hypertrophy training at that point.

I really don't know why it doesn't make sense... I do 3x10 with 35's... we all do different programs. NROLFW has you doing 3x15's.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    20 calories? It's not going to be much. Even if it took you 5 seconds to do one squat, that's only 2 1/2 minutes of squats. And even doing HIIT for 2 minutes, you're not going to burn a lot of calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I THOUGHT THIS WAS PLACE FOR SUPPORT???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Is this where I say "not enough to log" and get blasted for not being supportive?

<<<This is your future...
  • holothuroidea
    edited January 2016
    Options

I really don't know why it doesn't make sense... I do 3x10 with 35's... we all do different programs. NROLFW has you doing 3x15's.

Most of the time when people say they did 30 squats they mean bw squats for time, usually in a progression of other calisthenic exercises. Like, 50 jumping jacks, 40 lunges, 30 squats, 20 push ups, 10 burpees (for example). Most of the time when people do sets, they specify. So that's why I think it was a fairly reasonable assumption.

I'm not criticizing any program. We do all do different programs and they all have their own merits but you replied to my comment with "no" and put me in a position to defend myself. 3x10 and 3x15 are not going to build strength, they will build endurance. If you can do more than 5 reps at a time then there's not enough intensity per rep to build strength.

Exact stats vary but generally...

Intensity, Result
    1-5 reps, strength
    3-10 reps, hypertrophy (muscular size)
    8+ reps, endurance

Many strength programs will incorporate some hypertrophy and endurance training but when you're doing 30 reps of something at a time, it is no longer part of strength training even if the movement is a traditional strength training movement.
  • blankiefinder
    Options

Most of the time when people say they did 30 squats they mean bw squats for time, usually in a progression of other calisthenic exercises. Like, 50 jumping jacks, 40 lunges, 30 squats, 20 push ups, 10 burpees (for example). Most of the time when people do sets, they specify. So that's why I think it was a fairly reasonable assumption.

I'm not criticizing any program. We do all do different programs and they all have their own merits but you replied to my comment with "no" and put me in a position to defend myself. 3x10 and 3x15 are not going to build strength, they will build endurance. If you can do more than 5 reps at a time then there's not enough intensity per rep to build strength.

Intensity, Result
    1-5 reps, strength
    8+ reps, endurance

Many strength programs will incorporate some hypertrophy and endurance training but when you're doing 30 reps of something at a time, it is no longer part of strength training even if the movement is a traditional strength training movement.

You're making a differentiation between strength training and conditioning which imo does not apply to the OP's question of whether to log calories for 30 squats. If you had said that it was conditioning not strength training in your post, I wouldn't have said no, and in fact wouldn't have commented at all, as it didn't apply to the OP. You just said 'it ceases to be strength training'... but the question was how many calories to log.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

<<<This is your future...

giphy.gif
  • holothuroidea
    edited January 2016
    Options

Intensity, Result
    1-5 reps, strength
    8+ reps, endurance

You're making a differentiation between strength training and conditioning which imo does not apply to the OP's question of whether to log calories for 30 squats. If you had said that it was conditioning not strength training in your post, I wouldn't have said no, and in fact wouldn't have commented at all, as it didn't apply to the OP. You just said 'it ceases to be strength training'... but the question was how many calories to log.

You said that squats are for strength training and therefor you shouldn't count the calories. That's not true, doing 30 squats for time would not be strength training, they would be part of a calisthenics or similar workout and should definitely be logged that way (as minutes of calisthenics, light/moderate intensity as I said in my original answer).