Weight fluctuation but no tangible loss

Options

Replies

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I think you would be good doing 60-90 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week. Make sure to get in at least one rest day to make sure your body has some time to heal.

Here is the link to the Logging Accurately thread. What I mean by avoiding those generic entries is that there is more of a chance of them being inaccurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

What branch are you going into?
  • johnboy916
    johnboy916 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    From what I am seeing in your diary you are not eating enough. Your body is holding what you eat for fuel when you exercise........ you need to eat more.......Especially if your in the gym 5 hours a day........ if you have health insurance, speak to a nutritionist. If not, well you should figure out how you can...... adjust your goals in the apps setting...... I'm at 1770 calories a day (except Fridays) and I don't exercise at all and I drop about 1lb a week....... Good luck
  • schibsted750
    schibsted750 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with working out every day, but not for three hours. That's insane.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    johnboy916 wrote: »
    From what I am seeing in your diary you are not eating enough. Your body is holding what you eat for fuel when you exercise........ you need to eat more.......Especially if your in the gym 5 hours a day........ if you have health insurance, speak to a nutritionist. If not, well you should figure out how you can...... adjust your goals in the apps setting...... I'm at 1770 calories a day (except Fridays) and I don't exercise at all and I drop about 1lb a week....... Good luck

Her body isn't holding anything. This is the starvation mode myth. I do agree if she was eating that then she needs more for nutrition but as she is obviously gaining those numbers are wrong.
  • mataliaadavenport
    mataliaadavenport Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    I think you would be good doing 60-90 minutes a day, 5-6 days a week. Make sure to get in at least one rest day to make sure your body has some time to heal.

Here is the link to the Logging Accurately thread. What I mean by avoiding those generic entries is that there is more of a chance of them being inaccurate.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

The army is has the shortest waiting list. So Atmy is what I'm waiting for.
    Ok. Maybe it's because I'm used to it but it seems short. But I trust your knowledge . But does that include other small exercise outside the gym for the total time?

Also thank you for the link! I understand what you mean now. I see where I made errors. I'll keep an eye out for accuracy.

It's going to be a bit hard cause I don't have a scale and can't really afford one at the moment (yes I'm that broke.)
    Do you have any advise to useing both solid and liquid measuring cups?

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Ok. Maybe it's because I'm used to it but it seems short. But I trust your knowledge . But does that include other small exercise outside the gym for the total time?

Also thank you for the link! I understand what you mean now. I see where I made errors. I'll keep an eye out for accuracy.

It's going to be a bit hard cause I don't have a scale and can't really afford one at the moment (yes I'm that broke.)

Measuring cups aren't going to be as accurate, but if that's all you can do then don't worry too much about it. Just make sure not to pack it in and don't fill it to the brim.

I would just keep your gym time to 60-90 minutes. If you are active outside of that then don't count it against that time.

I was in the Army. Keep working on your running. That's the big thing. Work on your time to make sure that you won't have any problems passing the PT test that they give you in reception (You will have to run one mile in 10 or 11 minutes). You will also have to be able to do push ups and sit ups but the Drill Sergeants will help you with the push ups. If your recruiter hasn't told you what the standards are for passing a PT test I can send you a link to the guide.

If you have any Army specific questions about anything (jobs, duty stations, basic training) feel free to send me a message.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

You can find a good food scale for $10-15 dollars on Amazon. I highly suggest you scrape anything you can together to get one. It's the best investment in your health you can ever make.

Weight loss happens in the kitchen. You need to be accurate in your food logging or you won't lose. You also need to make sure that you are eating back your exercise calories to support your training, but be careful not to overestimate because that's the second trap people fall into. They overestimate their exercise calories and then they don't lose either. It's recommended to try eating back 50-75% of what MFP spits out at you and then adjust up or down from there.

Another option is to try the TDEE method. This works if your workout schedule is consistent week to week. With TDEE, you eat a certain number of calories every day and you don't add exercise calories back in. Exercise calories are calculated into you goal already. Then you watch your rate of loss over a month or so and adjust your calories up or down depending on your rate if you aren't losing or are losing too quickly. A great TDEE calculator can be found here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

However, neither method of dealing with you exercise calories will work if your food logging isn't accurate to begin with. Work on accuracy, it's the key to getting your weight moving again.
  • blessingsfromabove721
    Options
    Use a digital scale. You can get them almost anywhere, they are relatively inexpensive. ..about $20. Using measuring cups for solids is just not accurate. Measuring cups are for liquids only! Use a digital scale for ALL solids. Based on what you've said so far, I almost garuantee you are either taking in too many calories, or overestimating calories burned..or both
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    You need to use a food scale and aim for a reasonable rate of loss. There are no quick fixes. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • johnboy916
    Options

Her body isn't holding anything. This is the starvation mode myth. I do agree if she was eating that then she needs more for nutrition but as she is obviously gaining those numbers are wrong.[/quote]

I have read plenty that starving myth is not a myth. It is your bodies metabolism converting sugars and regular carbs into fat for storage rather than passing it through " burning them off" .... your body knows what it needs for fuel.
    We are all different. Our bodies react differently.... I should not have replied so open ended with the assertion we are the same......
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My goal is to loose this weight fast. I have to do it. I'm just getting back on my feet and I have to or I won't be able to join the military in a timely manner. My recruiter wanted me doing the 500 calories and laxitives thing, like I said , that was a no.

If you cannot maintain AR 600-9 in Basic, they will wash you out if you still can't upon recycle. If you can't maintain AR 600-9 during AIT, they will wash you out. If you can't maintain within AR 600-9 once at your duty site, you will be flagged and barred from favorable actions like awards and promotions. If you do not progress within your MOS lifecycle - that is, gain rank on the expected timeline - they will wash you out.

Do you see a trend?

You need to learn not only *how* to responsibly lose weight, but the hardest part: maintain. Otherwise, you will not be in the military for very long. Even if you can score a 300+ on the APFT.

By and by, if you fail to meet your initial ADSO? Any recruitment incentive/bonus you received, the military will recoup. The government doesn't have to take you to court to garnish your civilian wages.

Finally, your recruiter doesn't care about you. You should tell his/her Commanding Officer about him/her telling recruits to starve themselves and take laxatives. If you can get it in an email/text, even better.

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Her body isn't holding anything. This is the starvation mode myth. I do agree if she was eating that then she needs more for nutrition but as she is obviously gaining those numbers are wrong.

I have read plenty that starving myth is not a myth. It is your bodies metabolism converting sugars and regular carbs into fat for storage rather than passing it through " burning them off" .... your body knows what it needs for fuel.
    We are all different. Our bodies react differently.... I should not have replied so open ended with the assertion we are the same......

Starvation mode is a myth. Refer to the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. Every single participant on starvation rations lost significant weight. Your body will lose weight if you eat less than you burn for 100% of the population.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/135/6/1347.full.pdf+html
  • HutchA12
    Options

[/quote]

It's a myth show me a large person dieing of starvation and not malnutrition. A man literally lost hundreds by not eating for a year under dr. supervision. Why would your body waste time storing energy it could use. Because after that is still needs to use something or else you die. It's not just going to start burning muscle over fat just cause. Fat has a higher caloric rate rate per gram. This won't happen until all the fats gone.

When humans were hunter/gatherers do you think they got fat when they weren't eating during scarce times then slimmed down in the times they had plentiful food.

It just doesn't make sense. And the starvation mode myth is a myth. Real starvation will have a low weight.

Our bodies aren't that differnt. They weren't that differnt 100 to 1000 years ago. Sure mutations happen but we are talking about the very base of the human metabolism. I bet you lose weight on a deficit just like I and everyone else does. It's eat less move more.
  • johnboy916
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You all are off the hook..... if your literally starving of course your going to lose weight..... your body will "eat" its fat, then its muscle tissue, then...... well you get the point....... we can round and round you all posting articles, and I can post articles..... whatever....... I'm not going to debate the definition of starvation compared to one's metabolism slowing to conserve energy...... thanks anyways
  • HutchA12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    You all are off the hook..... if your literally starving of course your going to lose weight..... your body will "eat" its fat, then its muscle tissue, then...... well you get the point....... we can round and round you all posting articles, and I can post articles..... whatever....... I'm not going to debate the definition of starvation compared to one's metabolism slowing to conserve energy...... thanks anyways

With long term fasting there will be a slight drop in metabolic rate but it wont be greater than the deficit created which causes your body to digest fat. We can have differing opinions sure. The problem is that yours is one that can harm other peoples weight goals. Eating more doesn't cause you to gain less.

Here is the study if since you don't want to get into an article siting thing. It does show a metabolic decrease of 8% with fasting. but a drop in metabolism only changes the calories in of the standard CICO equation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3661473
  • johnboy916
    Options
    I think perhaps you didn't read what posted from the beginning. .... I initially said she this person needs to eat more..... not less.... the whole "starving" conversation started when some said body storing energy was a myth...
    I would never tell anyone to fast...... I eat 1770 calories a day. Broken up into 3 meals, and 3 snacks.......this person is working out 5 hours a day and consuming 1250 calories. .... that's not enough.
  • HutchA12
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I think perhaps you didn't read what posted from the beginning. .... I initially said she this person needs to eat more..... not less.... the whole "starving" conversation started when some said body storing energy was a myth...
    I would never tell anyone to fast...... I eat 1770 calories a day. Broken up into 3 meals, and 3 snacks.......this person is working out 5 hours a day and consuming 1250 calories. .... that's not enough.

You quoted me. I see. the quote broke on a previous post. I said its a myth that your body holds onto materials to store fat over using it to burn and fuel your body AKA the Starvation Mode myth. Its garbage and pushing that misconception here hurts peoples progress. Eating more might be good for her nutrition, but that is separate from weight-loss. You do not EVER need to eat MORE to lose weight.
  • johnboy916
    Options
    Fair enough..... What works for me, doesn't work for everyone else.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is CICO, however if one is under eating, metabolic rate will reduce. Homeostasis. Take your TDEE and subtract 20%. That's basically how many calories you should eat to lose weight.
    But how you measure activity and calorie intake matters. So don't guess, use tools to give a pretty accurate count.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • johnboy916
    Options
    http://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/ttp://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

I will leave these 2 articles here.... each one argues both sides..... believe what you want...... but what I preach isnt bulshit the information is out there.......