Any fellow Nurses in the house?!

Options
Laura8liz
Laura8liz Posts: 7 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hey MFPers! Looking to connect with some other nurses, see what their days look like, build a good support group. Any other nurses in here? If so:
1) where are you from?
Mansfield, Ma
2) what's your specialty/floor?
I work on a Med/Surg/Tele floor. Hoping to one day be in heme/onc
3) how long have you been a nurse?
Four years
4) most inspirational experience you've had in the field!
The first patient I ever guided through the end of life experience. Took care of him (and his family) for 3 amazing months. I held his hand into the wee hours of the morning in fear that he would pass alone and no one should ever leave this Earth alone. Still have his obit on my dresser. He touched my heart and I'll never forget him.

Lots of love!
Laura

Replies

• tans3352
    tans3352 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm a nurse too in Australia in fact
    1) Wellington New Zealand, now living all over the place in Australia- I fly a lot for work
    2) I've done a bit of everything, but right now I am doing remote area nursing
    3) Coming up to 6 years
    4) Looking after an older lady with dementia who I knew slightly socially, who broke her hip, spending time getting to know her, trying to keep her from leaving the hospital, now she actually still recognises me, which is crazy cause she's known my mother longer and doesn't recognise her. I still see her and her husband round every now and then and they treat me like family.
  • ErinKay_RN
    ErinKay_RN Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    1. Saginaw, Michigan
    2. Cardiac Tele and I have an occasional position as a psych RN
    3. 6 years
    4. As a psych RN, helping a young patient see that the stigma of mental illness was just a stigma and the ideas that she had about mentally ill people didn't apply to her or almost anyone. She started to see her worth and find ideas about her passions. She was so grateful that I could "see" her, and so was I.
  • barbz25
    barbz25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!. I have been an RN in Calgary for 11 years. I work in gen/surg & travel clinic.
    I once had a young man on the ward he lost 100 pounds in a year! It was amazing to see his transformation. His determination inspired me.... If he can lose weight then so can I.
    ❤️
  • Laura8liz
    Laura8liz Posts: 7 Member
    Options

It's so nice to meet all you ladies!!! Your inspirational experiences are awesome :). What are your weight loss/maintain goals?
    Hey there, I'm a nurse too in Australia in fact
    1) Wellington New Zealand, now living all over the place in Australia- I fly a lot for work
    2) I've done a bit of everything, but right now I am doing remote area nursing
    3) Coming up to 6 years
    4) Looking after an older lady with dementia who I knew slightly socially, who broke her hip, spending time getting to know her, trying to keep her from leaving the hospital, now she actually still recognises me, which is crazy cause she's known my mother longer and doesn't recognise her. I still see her and her husband round every now and then and they treat me like family.
    ErinKay_RN wrote: »
    1. Saginaw, Michigan
    2. Cardiac Tele and I have an occasional position as a psych RN
    3. 6 years
    4. As a psych RN, helping a young patient see that the stigma of mental illness was just a stigma and the ideas that she had about mentally ill people didn't apply to her or almost anyone. She started to see her worth and find ideas about her passions. She was so grateful that I could "see" her, and so was I.
    barbz25 wrote: »
    Hi!. I have been an RN in Calgary for 11 years. I work in gen/surg & travel clinic.
    I once had a young man on the ward he lost 100 pounds in a year! It was amazing to see his transformation. His determination inspired me.... If he can lose weight then so can I.
    ❤️

• nurseuback2health
    nurseuback2health Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Kelly
    where are you from?
    Long Beach, California
    2) what's your specialty/floor?
    Ambulatory Clinic
    3) how long have you been a nurse?
    12 years
    4) most inspirational experience you've had in the field!
    That's a tough question... I'm inspired when I see a patient progress. I work in an out patient setting, so I see same patients often. It is nice to see then get healthy after veing ill.
  • missaj086
    missaj086 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm studying to become an enrolled nurse I have 3.5 months left till I graduate. I'm from Australia.
    I don't have a specialty yet or even know what area I want to work in.
  • bragaj17
    bragaj17 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1. Florida
    2. Work at home as a Nurse Case Manager for an insurance company
    3. About 40 years in various aspects from CNA to LPN to ADRN to BSN (finally) and management (supervisor).
    4. Too many to count! There have been many special moments with many special patients. I've worked long term care, home health, hospice, med-surg, hospital case management, MD office case management/education.

It's nice to meet you all and I wish for you long, happy and healthy nursing careers!
  • scrub215
    scrub215 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1.Nashville
    2. Work at an outpatient surgery center in the operating room.
    3. Been doing this about 20 years.
    4. To many experiences! One favorite was actually scrubbing a c-section and the dr laid the baby right in front of me. The sweet beautiful baby looked right into my eyes. No crying, was like Hi! Here I am!
    5. The problem with working in an OR, is we don't always get lunch. Eat in between cases and its not always healthy!
  • mcspeight
    mcspeight Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1) PEI Canada
    2) Mental Health
    3) 3 years
    4) that is a tough one....there are so many moments I have experienced so far in my short time...ill have to get back to yahs!
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hailing from Indiana, a charge nurse in a LTC/rehab facility last 5 years. Came to nursing later in life (44 now) and love it. My peeps inspire me everyday. Some I've known since day one as a nurse. We laugh, cry, pray, hug, fuss, sing & dance and just live life together.
    It's hectic work though- I could count on one hand the actual breaks I've taken there ever! Makes eating healthy (or at all) difficult at work, and when I get home all I want to do is eat everything in my kitchen then sack out.
    Seems more pronounced on night or day shifts. Evening shifts I have time to exercise & eat well before work starts.
    How do you all find balance?
  • RNamd23
    RNamd23 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Also a nurse, but I'm a newbie, I've only been a nurse for about 2 months.

Im from Arizona.

I work in ICU.

It's hard to pick one specific patient, mainly because I'm still pretty new and haven't had a lot of experiences. The patient's who really inspire me are those who come in to the ICU really sick--the ones you think will never make it out alive. Then they turn a corner, make it to the floor, then rehab, then home! Those are the patient's that make it worth it.

I'd love to hear how you find balance. After working all day, with commute and such I'm away from home 14+ hours and am dead tired. I never want to cook, let alone exercise.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Hey Laura!
    1) NE Pennsylvania
    2) Emergancy Room Nurse
    3) 20 + years
    4) I LOVE working in the ER because no day is ever the same and always brings a new challenge with it. One of the biggest challenges on most days is getting time to eat during the shift, lol.