Quick Weight Loss Group Members Forum

Options
Let's talk about alternatives to the QWL stuff...

Replies

• mtb1010
    mtb1010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was just feeling very tempted to go to QWLC. I'd love to know what to do without having to pay them all that money.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What are you guys talking about? Links?
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I think Quick Weight Loss is a business made up of "clinics" that prescribe drugs and VLCDs to anyone of any weight. You go there, pay there, get your drugs there. One stop shopping. I'm assuming that's how it works. They advertise heavily on the local radio stations where I live.

I don't have any issues whatsoever with medical treatments, pharmacological or otherwise, for those in the proper weight categories under their doctor's care, but these places are definitely no good.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    mtb1010 wrote: »
    I was just feeling very tempted to go to QWLC. I'd love to know what to do without having to pay them all that money.

You're on MFP, so that's a good first step.
    Enter your stats and a reasonable loss target for your current weight.
    Determine your calorie target.
    Log your meals to meet that target, using the most accurate entries you can determine.
    Get a food scale.
    Use the food scale.
    Find exercise that helps burn more calories that you like and can keep up with.
    Wash, rinse, repeat.

It will take time.
    It will take logging accurately so you know how much you eat.
    It will take being honest and conservative with your exercise burns.
    It will be successful if you give it time and patience.

QWLC would have you logging your meals but give you a list of foods to choose from and have you eating at a much lower level to insure you stay in a deficit without having to be accurate. They'd also sell you a bunch of meal replacement stuff that isn't necessary. MFP with a food scale lets you eat more because you're working with more accurate info to maintain a deficit.

Good luck

• dunnhorn
    dunnhorn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just started QWL on Tuesday... So far lost 10 lbs in the first 4 days. It's a very restrictive diet - but I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I have a looooooong way to go, and I have said "This ain't my first rodeo." So - good luck to me as I do this journey. Yes, it's expensive, yes the name is cheesy - yes, a part of me died inside when I signed up for this, but the bottom line is that I wanted some of this weight off and I haven't been able to do it by myself. So here goes.... Good luck to you all as well
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance who went to a similar clinic (medifast) and lost a substantial amount of weight. She actually got a job there as a manager or coach of some sort.

She has resigned to never eat solid food ever again. I think she's reasonably happy with things. I know she misses actually eating, but she likes being a normal weight and she thinks this is the only way she can avoid gaining weight.
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I joined QWLC this week and I am on day 2 of prep. I have my first nutrition class tomorrow afternoon. I had a headache yesterday but I slept good and today I feel better. The Q-Booster drink is great!
    I feel really motivated and I just need to be kept accountable. I am looking for support from other QWL members.
    Thanks! Marissa, Houston TX
  • dmurphydickson
    dmurphydickson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did well on QWL and am in maintenance. It is essentially a macros program with low carbs but has fruit and vegetables in addition to the protein. Just good healthy food. You can purchase supplements but not required. I use MFP now to track food and hold myself accountable. Know that QWL is based on a one year program and the full fee is due at sign-up.
  • rj0150684
    rj0150684 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have an acquaintance who went to a similar clinic (medifast) and lost a substantial amount of weight. She actually got a job there as a manager or coach of some sort.

She has resigned to never eat solid food ever again. I think she's reasonably happy with things. I know she misses actually eating, but she likes being a normal weight and she thinks this is the only way she can avoid gaining weight.

Wait, what? She doesn’t eat food??

I mean, to each their own, but that’s one of the craziest things I’ve ever heard.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    dunnhorn wrote: »
    Just started QWL on Tuesday... So far lost 10 lbs in the first 4 days. It's a very restrictive diet - but I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. I have a looooooong way to go, and I have said "This ain't my first rodeo." So - good luck to me as I do this journey. Yes, it's expensive, yes the name is cheesy - yes, a part of me died inside when I signed up for this, but the bottom line is that I wanted some of this weight off and I haven't been able to do it by myself. So here goes.... Good luck to you all as well

I think this is the 2nd saddest. Died inside?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    dunnhorn wrote: »

I think this is the 2nd saddest. Died inside?

Since most of the comments were posted in 2015 and 2016 I'd be curious to know where the posters are today. Did they continue to lose after the initial water loss? Did they reach their goal? Were they able to maintain?
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Dammit sucked in again. I’m assuming they stopped after a week or 2 and never came back.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

This just makes me want to cry. It is so sad that anyone could end up like this.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

This just makes me want to cry. It is so sad that anyone could end up like this.

I wouldn't worry too much. I think most people (unless they are disordered) can only fight their natural tendencies for so long before they snap and revert. I would be more concerned that 2 years later the poor liquid woman may be in even worse shape trying to lose weight again.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I wouldn't worry too much. I think most people (unless they are disordered) can only fight their natural tendencies for so long before they snap and revert. I would be more concerned that 2 years later the poor liquid woman may be in even worse shape trying to lose weight again.

^^^ This.

If weight loss is quick, it isn't healthy. If it's healthy, it isn't quick.