Cheese opinions?

Options
Just asking people's opinions, what would you put on a pasta bake, cheddar or mozzarella? In not sure if one is better nutrition wise but taste wise too? Thanks

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Both. Cheese is amazing.
  • ShelleyD81
    ShelleyD81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is true lol!
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Both. Cheese is amazing.

Ha, exactly what I was going to say

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Ditto both, they even sell grated with both in the same package
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    It depends. If it's tomato sauce I'd do mainly mozzarella and you could definitely mix in cheddar as the secondary cheese. If it was pasta with cream of chicken or something (casserole) cheddar might be a better flavor. Please excuse me I need some cheese.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,542 Member
    Options
    You could always mix them. The mozz will be really stringy. If you like that quality, that's a plus. Personally, I'd go with all or mostly cheddar if those two were the only choices, because I don't love stringy in pasta bake. It also depends on what else beside pasta is in the dish - cheddar is a little more assertive tasting, might not be the best complement to every possible other ingredient. But if other choices are available, and it's pretty plain, I'd go for ricotta mixed in, and parmesan on top. Or swiss.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Both, plus add in some Parmesan too!
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes. Yes to cheese! Personally I'd probably use jalapeno or habanero jack, because there's nothing better than cheese except spicy cheese. Another option is a smoked cheese, like smoked mozz or smoked cheddar. I'm sorry, what were we talking about? :p
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mozzarella and parmesan usually.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Mozzarella and parmesan usually.

This. I don't usually like cheddar on pasta.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Both, plus add in some Parmesan too!

This was going to be my answer as well
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It depends. If it's tomato sauce I'd do mainly mozzarella and you could definitely mix in cheddar as the secondary cheese. If it was pasta with cream of chicken or something (casserole) cheddar might be a better flavor. Please excuse me I need some cheese.

This - all of this
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    What else is in it?
    If it spaghetti sauce type Italian seasoned stuff I'd use mozzarella.
    Cheddar would be fine for me for other combinations.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I always put lots of mozz on my baked ziti, then put a decent amount of cheddar on top of that. I don't discriminate.
  • AmyMCGS
    AmyMCGS Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it depends on what else is in it. I love the mix of a sharp cheddar with chicken and alfredo sauce, but the stringy mozzarella on a tomato sauce is delicious, as well.

Personally, I use whatever cheese I have on hand-- I love any and all kinds of cheese. But I do use it in moderation, as I've learned that a little real cheese tastes way better than any kind of low fat cheese.
  • charli3anne
    charli3anne Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    AmyMCGS wrote: »
    a little real cheese tastes way better than any kind of low fat cheese.

Definitely, mature strong cheddar for me, if using cheese has to actually taste cheesy