Going to bed hungry

Options
I hate going to bed hungry!!! I have 100 calories left usually at the end of the day after my meals and workout
I don't know much about if it's "ok" to eat after a certain time. I always hear you shouldn't eat after 7. But some nights I just don't get filled up and k lay in bed hungry. I don't even know if a small 100 cal snack would even help on nights like this!! Lol. Chug water? What do ya'll do? Thanks :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I would eat something and plan better tomorrow. Sleeping is hard when your stomach is grumbling.
  • gracepost123
    gracepost123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I would eat something and plan better tomorrow. Sleeping is hard when your stomach is grumbling.

Thank you! Yes it is hard
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Thank you! Yes it is hard

Even if you ate something that was 200 calories it wouldn't make much of a dent.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I frequently eat right before bed. It hasn't been a problem. I don't like going to sleep with a growling stomach. I can, but I don't like to. So I leave a few hundred calories for the evening.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I recently tried to go to bed hungry and couldn't sleep due to my stomach rumbling. Eventually I gave up, got up and toasted an English crumpet with a little butter. After that, I slept great. Don't go to bed hungry. Plan a little better. Raw veggies have very few calories and are very filling...fyi.
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I cannot sleep if i'm hungry, I'll get up and have some fruit or yogurt, even if it puts me over.. and go back to bed.
  • Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yup, as they said, I usually eat something late as well and it hasn't make a huge impact on my weight loss. As long as you don't go over a lot, you'll be fine! Lately I just munch on an apple or something that takes a while to eat to keep me from eating more (or if I DO go overboard, I try to justify it by working out extra hard the next day, lol).
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I hate going to bed hungry!!! I have 100 calories left usually at the end of the day after my meals and workout
    I don't know much about if it's "ok" to eat after a certain time. I always hear you shouldn't eat after 7. But some nights I just don't get filled up and k lay in bed hungry. I don't even know if a small 100 cal snack would even help on nights like this!! Lol. Chug water? What do ya'll do? Thanks :)

Meal timing is completely irrelevant. Ignore the myths and eat whenever works best for you - as long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit, it doesn't matter what time you eat. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    More protein during the day or maybe an egg before bed? That helps me sometimes...
  • dougb214
    dougb214 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and if I didn't eat something I would wake up in the middle of the night and eat something. I pushed my last meal to 8 and foreced myself through a couple of rough nights of waking up hungry. I fought it off for a couple of days and now I am sleeping through the night. I am starting to push my last meal to earlier in the night. So far so good.

Personally I think baby steps is the way to go. Small changes.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Diet Indian tonic water is great. Fills you up with gas and liquid and calories are almost negligible. Keeps my bedtime hunger pangs at bay!

Shaun
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I would eat a small snack. The Fiber One brownies are really good and only 90 calories.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Eeps, beware of Fiber One at bedtime unless you know how your body reacts. You probably don't want your sleep interrupted by having to use the bathroom ASAP. And for sure you don't want your sleep UNinterrupted if you have to use the bathroom ASAP.
  • vonradders
    vonradders Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would eat a banana nothing bad with those and are usually pretty filling if you eat it slow :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    May want to consider if your weekly weight loss goal is too steep. Unless you have a hefty amount of weight to lose, 2lb/week is too steep. This process shouldn't leave you hungry if you have an appropriate weekly goal and don't front load or waste your calories for the day.
  • johnboy916
    johnboy916 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always have a small snack before bed. It is part of my daily meal plan though.... 3 meals and 3 snacks... I have had a continued weight loss of 1.5 lbs a week..... I've read the body burns calories while sleeping. .... I'm not suggesting a large snack. Myself, I usually will have 1/2 of a large banana. But, it usually depends how many calories I have left.
  • VeryCarrie6969
    VeryCarrie6969 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    yogurt is a good bedtime snack; my husband likes ice cream (he doesn't need to lose weight) The dairy is what helps you sleep. (think warm milk, without the "yuk it's warm milk")

• lchdurr
    lchdurr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my blood sugar dropping too low in the morning if I don't have a small evening snack. I eat 1 cup of Special K with a half cup of milk, nothing added, works for me.It is more than 100 calories, but I am still dropping weight.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I always have a small snack at night and allow for it something as simple as a half a cup of skim milk and a few crackers. It helps me sleep and I don't wake up with my tummy burning in the middle of the night.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Unless you personally have problems with eating later at night - I used to get acid reflux when eating certain foods too close to bed time, for example, although it hasn't been an issue since I've lost weight - there's no reason to avoid it as long as you manage your overall daily calories.

The whole "don't eat after 7" is just a way to try to help people who DON'T count calories reduce their calories in, by cutting out late night snacking. It's just a window of time where a lot of people eat when they aren't truly hungry (e.g. snacking and watching TV). If you count and eat the same number of calories regardless, it's totally irrelevant how many of those are consumed before or after 7.