sauna after workouts?

Options
I was wondering what are the benefits/problems with going in the sauna after a work out? I have access to one but don't know if I should use it.

Replies

• michaelar_ae
    michaelar_ae Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've heard it lowers your blood pressure quite quickly. That can be quite dangerous.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of benefits, but just make sure you stay hydrated.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use them. They must have some benefits? ??
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    They feel nice, especially in the winter when it's cold outside. They are also quite relaxing. Some people mistakenly think they help you lose fat. They can cause weight loss due to sweating but that is weight you need to gain back through hydration. The main reason to do the sauna is because it feels good. If it doesn't appeal to you, or you were looking for something that might help with your goals, use the 15 minutes or so to do something else.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I use the sauna solely for relaxation. I particularly like it after a good weight lifting session. It really helps loosen and relax my muscles.

They aren't for the purpose of weight loss, however. I see people go in them fully clothed after a tough cardio session and to me that would be torture, not enjoyable. That's a way to get dehydrated really quickly. Not a good thing to do.
  • smcrimmon84
    smcrimmon84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure there is much "purpose" to a sauna as far as weight loss or anything BUT I like to sit in the one at the gym after a long run. I find it calming and relaxing for some reason, its just nice! But I also fill my water bottle up and take it in with me and drink while I'm in there.
  • tracykreczmer
    tracykreczmer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I do it after working out..not for weight loss but my joints hurt..mostly my hands..I drink two cups of water when I am in there..slather on some cream and read a few pages in my book...I do sweat but I can sweat anywhere. I notice people put their towels and clothes in there...to warm them up...especially the swimmers. When no one is in there. .its quiet warm and peaceful.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have one at the gym and use it sometimes, not really sure I get any benefit from it, and I can't seem to endure more than 5 minutes in there (is it really doing me any good if I'm describing it as something I 'endure'?).

Does you gym have a steam room too? They seem a bit less painful than a sauna.
  • kiddiebqueen17
    kiddiebqueen17 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    At first the sauna was torches. Probably partly the heat and mainly boredom but I am starting to enjoy it. I sit for 20 minutes and just listen to music.
  • SizeTenByTeatime
    SizeTenByTeatime Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Opens the pores - good for the skin?
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Opens the pores - good for the skin?

Yep. I like to think it helps to sweat toxins out... I like to put "scrub mask" on and sit for a few minutes.

Hydration before & after is essential

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    As long as you cool down adequately after your workout, are plenty hydrated, don't have any medical conditions that contraindicate heat, and limit exposure to safe temperatures/lengths of exposure it should be fine. I think it feels good.
  • Feeltheburn808
    Feeltheburn808 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's mainly to get rid of toxins in your body through sweating not for weight loss. Make sure to stay hydrated. I go in a sauna after my workout then jump in the pool. To me it's like a reward after a workout instead of junk food lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I admit I use it when I'm holding some extra uncomfortable water weight.