Options
13»

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Russandol wrote: »
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    I have a classmate who wants one of those for herself and for her mother. I wish I had her e-mail to send her this information.

Well I guess all information is good, but the very vast majority of people who use the fitbit find the information it gives them to be reasonably accurate and handy.

The thing is people should do their own independent research before choosing any activity or heart rate monitor. I use both depending on what I am doing. But I certainly wouldn't depend on either one if I wanted 100% accurate numbers. I would worry if my heart rate was 25-75 bpm off though and I wasn't aware of it during a hard core bike ride where I was really pushing it because I wouldn't want to pass out on the bike path or on the road.

You won't pass out without warning, though. My friend regularly faints due to low blood pressure and she can always feel it coming. If you're pushing yourself that hard and start to feel symptoms, you NEED to stop and get to the ground before something worse happens.

Seconding this. I have fainted due to low blood pressure (standing up too fast after squatting down for more than a minute can do it) and I can definitely tell if I'm about to pass out. I can only speak for myself, but when it happens, my field of vision gradually shrinks to nothing, my ears start ringing/droning and my balance goes haywire. It's not like flicking a light switch. And yes, if you start feeling even slightly weak/faint during exercise, then STOP immediately, no matter what your HRM says.

Ditto. I haven't had an episode in years, but I would recognize the symptoms immediately. They are hard to mistake.
  • Sassysimquen
    Sassysimquen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There was a programme on TV tonight that tested Fitbits and other trackers Vs smart watches Vs free phone apps, and the phone apps were just as accurate as the trackers. The smart watches were more accurate for the serious athletes, but none of them were really accurate. If you can see BBC iPlayer, the prog was called What To Buy And Why.

Do you remember what channel?
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    BBC 2 I think, if not BBC 1 (can't check now, because I'm playing a game on the telly).
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    anyone that is going to rely on a gadget on their wrist while exercising to determine whether they are dangerously close to collapse or putting their health at risk, well, the term, natural selection, comes to mind.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Russandol wrote: »
    LHWhite903 wrote: »
    I have a classmate who wants one of those for herself and for her mother. I wish I had her e-mail to send her this information.

Well I guess all information is good, but the very vast majority of people who use the fitbit find the information it gives them to be reasonably accurate and handy.

The thing is people should do their own independent research before choosing any activity or heart rate monitor. I use both depending on what I am doing. But I certainly wouldn't depend on either one if I wanted 100% accurate numbers. I would worry if my heart rate was 25-75 bpm off though and I wasn't aware of it during a hard core bike ride where I was really pushing it because I wouldn't want to pass out on the bike path or on the road.

You won't pass out without warning, though. My friend regularly faints due to low blood pressure and she can always feel it coming. If you're pushing yourself that hard and start to feel symptoms, you NEED to stop and get to the ground before something worse happens.

Seconding this. I have fainted due to low blood pressure (standing up too fast after squatting down for more than a minute can do it) and I can definitely tell if I'm about to pass out. I can only speak for myself, but when it happens, my field of vision gradually shrinks to nothing, my ears start ringing/droning and my balance goes haywire. It's not like flicking a light switch. And yes, if you start feeling even slightly weak/faint during exercise, then STOP immediately, no matter what your HRM says.

Ditto. I haven't had an episode in years, but I would recognize the symptoms immediately. They are hard to mistake.

Same. I've passed out in doctors offices, malls, Targets, home, etc. The last time I fainted was last year, no one really seems to know why. You don't just faint. It's like you're suspended in time and you can't make sense of anything and then you wake up on the ground, lol. I've done an Insanity video until I puked, which wasn't the brightest idea on my part, but it didn't cause me to feel faint. When you feel light headed and dizzy and just plan out of it, you'll know to stop and sit down and call for help. HR monitor or no HR monitor I know that feeling very well.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    anyone that is going to rely on a gadget on their wrist while exercising to determine whether they are dangerously close to collapse or putting their health at risk, well, the term, natural selection, comes to mind.

Or Darwin Award ;)

• Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This is a ridiculous lawsuit. Anyone who relies on any non medical device to measure their heart rate is fooling themselves. These people need to do more research and stop wasting the court's time and money.
    Use your own perceived effort, not using a consumer device to tell you something you can feel.
    WTH did everyone do before these devices became mainstream? Oh yea, they went and exercised on perceived effort!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    farrellian wrote: »
    This is a ridiculous lawsuit. Anyone who relies on any non medical device to measure their heart rate is fooling themselves. These people need to do more research and stop wasting the court's time and money.
    Use your own perceived effort, not using a consumer device to tell you something you can feel.
    WTH did everyone do before these devices became mainstream? Oh yea, they went and exercised on perceived effort!

But then the device was evidently advertised as being able to do this accurately, and maybe didn't deliver? I think that's relevant.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I was a Fitbit supporter for years. But my test results were similar to the doctor in the study. I was just comparing the Charge HR and Surge to a Polar HRM. So for me it wasn't useful.

The doctor reportedly found that for heart rates above 110 bpm, the Fitbits were off by an average of 25 bpms, with some readings wrong by as much as 75 bpm.

There is a lot of meaningful data other then heart rate, steps, distance traveled, TDEE, as well as tracking how much you have consumed are all things the fitbit app/monitor does for you. Mine seems to be pretty accurate, non hr charge, I use it to decide how many calories to eat in a day, without all of the information it provides maintenance weight would be a dang nightmare, Id be stuck in constant over/under eating cycles.

I know, I meant that paying up for the heart rate versions wouldn't be useful for me. Or wearing the clunkier devices than the non-HR ones.

Fitbits don't actually track how much you've consumed. You have to do that yourself.