If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple.. you're not hungry enough

Options
I read this statement in a magazine and believe it 100% Apples are fine.. however, if I'm bored and just want to eat.. I don't choose apples. So, I'm sticking to this.. if I really need to eat.. and an apple seems delicious.. then I know I can eat. With this I tend to eat healthy because I'm hungry enough to do so.. THOUGHTS?

Replies

• Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I may have seen the same article. I agree; this falls into what I call "below the neck" (real) vs "above the neck" (bored or habit) hunger. If you're being that picky, it's not "below the neck" hunger.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Sure. Anything to help us understand satiety and real hunger. I read here on MPF last year a very nice tip: "On a scale of 1-10, never let yourself get hungrier than a 3 or more full than a 7." I also found this to be helpful.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Doesn't work for me. I friggin' LOVE apples! :(
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My thing is carrots instead of apples. Carrots are just okay. I'm never going to think they are delicious or overeat carrots. They are low calorie, bright, crunchy and require a lot of chewing.
  • nm2bsc
    nm2bsc Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I can dig this method, maybe it's a different thing for everyone, but thanks for sharing
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Quite like that. It does make sense.
  • rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I read the same thing but with green beans. If you're not hungry enough to eat green beans... I tell myself this a lot. Apples are probably a better thing to hold up, though, because they are delicious. I always get those little snacky Jazz apples, they're always around and they're a small size, very crunchy and have a decent flavor.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I really loathe apples. I'll get hungry and dizzy and pass out before I eat one.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well whether its apples green beans carrots etc.. anything that is just ok to eat... but you'll eat if hungry enough KWIM? I dig this concept.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I think this is really good advice! It sounds like some here do not like apples so picking a healthy items you like is the key. I think I will choose two: carrots and apples. If I do not want either of those then I am not really hungry.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Likely that an apple isn't the best barometer for everyone who chooses to use this test.

As for me, my eating is too deliberate for this method. I'm too scientific in deciding whether and what to eat so that I reach my protein and fat goals and don't exceed calorie goals.

ETA: if it helps you differentiate between true hunger and boredom/etc., go for it.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I could see this mantra working for some people, but I don't agree with it. There's an aspect of eating that isn't related exclusively to hunger and I think it's important to recognize that when 'dieting'. I don't dislike apples but they aren't my favorite snack, so I'm not usually willing to waste calories on them regardless of how hungry I am. If I eat an apple or some other snack that doesn't satisfy me, than I'm more likely to binge or eat something else, adding additional calories. It just seems unrealistic (& depressing) to me to remove the "I enjoy eating because of the taste of food" factor. I think it's critical to find a way to balance that with hunger for long-term success.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    rlwart wrote: »
    I read the same thing but with green beans. If you're not hungry enough to eat green beans... I tell myself this a lot. Apples are probably a better thing to hold up, though, because they are delicious. I always get those little snacky Jazz apples, they're always around and they're a small size, very crunchy and have a decent flavor.

I could make this work. Green beans are a definite "meh" to my palate. I have been known to put on my jeans for a near-midnight grocery store run if I realized I had no apples for the next morning!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I follow this myself. If I only want sweet stuff them I'm looking to eat for entertainment. If I'm truly hungry I'll grab something better for me no matter what it is and be happy.
  • SeanNJ
    SeanNJ Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just ate two apples.

u4t05etxb2bt.gif
  • Jayisahomogay
    Jayisahomogay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I really loathe apples. I'll get hungry and dizzy and pass out before I eat one.

^Same.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think the example of an apple (and that's what it is, just an example) may be causing confusion (and some righteous indignation.) The point is, if you say to yourself, "I'm hungry" and you cycle through several healthy choices of foods you LIKE, because NONE of them are what you want, then you're probably not actually hungry. There's nothing inherently wrong with eating peanut butter crackers, or French toast, or cheesecake because you like the taste. I think it's just a way of calling attention to the difference between eating out of physical need and eating out of social circumstance, or desire, or boredom.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    daw0518 wrote: »
    I could see this mantra working for some people, but I don't agree with it. There's an aspect of eating that isn't related exclusively to hunger and I think it's important to recognize that when 'dieting'. I don't dislike apples but they aren't my favorite snack, so I'm not usually willing to waste calories on them regardless of how hungry I am. If I eat an apple or some other snack that doesn't satisfy me, than I'm more likely to binge or eat something else, adding additional calories. It just seems unrealistic (& depressing) to me to remove the "I enjoy eating because of the taste of food" factor. I think it's critical to find a way to balance that with hunger for long-term success.

But food tastes the same whether you're hungry or not. Why not just wait until you're hungry and eat whatever it is that tastes good then?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry enough to eat an apple pretty much every afternoon. Unless it is a soft sweet apple...blech. I know it is terrible, but if I get one by accident I won't eat it.

I do get the concept. I like green beans too. My fave are the frozen petite green beans from Trader Joes. Nuke 'em with water and a little bit of a vegetable bullion cube.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I may have seen the same article. I agree; this falls into what I call "below the neck" (real) vs "above the neck" (bored or habit) hunger. If you're being that picky, it's not "below the neck" hunger.

Agreed. I keep Kashi mocha bars in my pocketbook for "emergencies." I don't particularly care for the flavor. I could always find room for a peanut butter cup, but if I'm not hungry enough for a Kashi mocha bar, I'm not really hungry.