When you started c25k...

Options
Just wondering how many of you who have done (or are far into) c25k were completely new to running when you first started. By new, I mean haven't run since the P.E. coach in middle school made you do it. I'm just curious because I'm on week 2 and haven't run since, well, the P.E. coach in middle school made me :laugh: Did you feel like you were prepared for a 20 minute run by the time you got to that part of the program? Did it take you extra days to make it to that point? Once you were there, did you walk during some of those 20 minutes? Thanks!!

Replies

• photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Good questions... I'm in Week 2 and took a peek at what's to come, and quite frankly, even Week 3 scares me! :noway: I'll be curious to hear what people have to say.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I started C25K the week of Halloween last fall, and stuck with it through the cold, and then when it was too cold, I moved indoors on a treadmill. I was NEVER a runner. The most I'd ever ran was the 90 feet between bases playing high school softball 20 YEARS AGO. It's completely doable! I stuck it out, every day was hard. I would have been able to pull it off in 9 weeks, but my daughter was sick for a whole month, and in the ICU for two weeks. After we got her home, I picked right back up where I left off.. and finished the program. Now I"m training for a half marathon!! I ran my first 5K in April and took 2nd place in my division! I've lost 40 pounds and 6 jeans sizes! I love, love, love to run now, and we do 5 miles 2 times a week, 3 miles once a week and 8 miles twice a month (getting ready to bump to 9 miles). It's awesome. There's no high that compares to finishing a run. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • MrsVagus
    MrsVagus Posts: 82
    Options
    I am completely in the same boat as you! I have never ever ever in my life ran or jogged willingly until 3 weeks ago when I started the C25K program.
    So far it is pretty good, the walking/jogging intervals are good for me- but I am still slow! My husband who is a runner keeps telling me to take it as slow as I need to and just focus on being able to jog for the appropriate amount of time (not going fast) and then when I am able to jog for 20 minutes solid, THEN focus on speed. I think that piece of advice has helped me.
    Good luck!
  • rhondaredhead
    rhondaredhead Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I didn't try it until I had been "running" for a year and was frustrated that my endurance wasn't seeming to increase at all. The program definitely helped with that. I'm not, however, running a ten-minute mile (that was a bit optimistic, in my opinion) and have now added intervals to help increase my speed (actually, I'm onto a 10K program now). I would suggest that you monitor your heart rate and take a little more time if you need to. Repeat a week if you feel like you shouldn't go on. If it seems to be getting easy, though (perhaps easier), challenge yourself and move on to the next week. Keep it up and take the time to enjoy it. You'll get there!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I already feel a huge difference from week 1 day 1 (when my mantra was "why the eff did I do this? This sucks so hard.") I'm rolling along just fine in week 2, though. I'm super slow (in 90 seconds I only make it halfway around the track), but I figure slow running is better than sitting. My boyfriend runs with me, well, at the same time. I'm too slow for him..haha. I'll get there eventually, though, I'm convinced. If I can come so far in only one week, I can just imagine what's to come for me in the coming weeks. I'll be excited when the day comes that I can keep up with the bf.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I was completely new to running when I started about two months ago. I had some problems completing some of the early runs - especially when I switched from the treadmill to running outside. I was dreading Week 5. I was convinced that I would't be able to manage the 8 minute runs, never mind the 20 minute run.

When it came time to do the 20 minute run, I was feeling so good that I kept running for 25 minutes! (I know - it sounds nuts, but you may well feel the same.) I haven't looked back since!

Bottom line is, you CAN do it! Just keep telling yourself that and trust your preparation. :smile:
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    I've not run at all but i did my W3D1 yesterday and the second interval floored me and i kept thinking "i'm not doing this again". But i finished it and when i woke up today i felt pretty good, so good that i decided to go out again today. I figured if i needed to get back on that horse before i give up. As i was running i kept thinking that people in cars must be saying "What is that stupid cow doing? is she trying to run?" but i kept going. I try to use a route with the least amount traffick. I run along a canal and in industrial areas. I am a bit tired but i think if it's good out tomorrow, i'm going out again. It is quite exhilarating and fun actualy once you get into it. I am a bit scared about the rest of the programme but i'm still doing it.
    good luck, you'll love it.
  • maureensm
    maureensm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I think the last time I had run anything before starting the program was when we were forced to do the mile in gym class my sophomore year of high school! I could BARELY get through the 60 second intervals when I started but as each week progressed, I gained confidence and strength and YES, I did run the full 20 minutes straight. I remember how difficult it was but I didn't give up. After every 5 min interval, I'd just tell mysef: only 5 more minutes. It's hard but totally doable. Just go slow. Don't worry about pace AT ALL.

I finished the C25K in about 12-13 weeks because I doubled up on a couple of the weeks and then ran my first 5k race a couple months later. I think running is 65% mental and 35% physical. It takes confidence and mental strength to push through it and when you build that confidence, you realize how capable you really can become. Well, it did that for me anyway :). I'm currently training for my 3rd marathon ;).

Good luck!!
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is inspriring. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who thought they'd die after running for only 60 seconds, and even better to know that those same people are running marathons now! I totally agree with running where there's no traffic; I go out at 7:45 pm and run on the high school's track. Usually anyone who was already there is finishing up by the time we show up. I just don't think the world is ready to see me run.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I actually started today (with a toddler in a jogging stroller) and it was hard. But i loved it. I was so proud when I got home and realized that I had stuck to it and finished all my intervals. I think I will be repeating some weeks, but thas ok. I'm in no hurry.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Although I'd been cycling for about 18 months, I'd never been a runner and actually hated even the thought of it - probably the last time I ran was when I was doing my "job" training when I joined the Navy - and that was in 1991!!!!!!! :noway:

However I'm flippin desperate to firm up the flab on my thighs and stomach, so thought I would give C25K a go - I started in May.

I get up at 6.30am on Mon, Weds and Fri and puff my way round the lanes in the village where only the rabbits can see me :smile: I finished the 2nd run of week 5 this morning - I am stunned that I can run for 8 minutes straight, when I struggled to even do 60 secs on week 1!!! I'm very surprised at how much I'm actually enjoying it as well :smile:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Hiya.i used to run at school when I was 10 but after that my asthma got pretty severe and I couldnt run or do anything that was too strenuous. As I got older I started to get better and now I have really good control. Zumba has a lot to answer for as its build up my endurance! I started c25k 6 weeks ago. And my biggest challange was the 3 min run! However I saw the program for last week and felt pretty psyched for the 20 min run and actually ran for 40 mins straight! I am soooo pleased as its been my goal to run for so long and now im actually doing it!

stick to it and will be ready too!!! Oh and have fun :)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I had been cycling for a while when I took up running so I already had some cardio endurance, but no running skill/ability. In spite of being somewhat fit, I really struggled with running. My problem was shin splints; everytime that I felt like I was making progress with running I'd get shin splints and be sidelined. I gave up several times but always came back later for another try. I finally had to do even less running and more walking than the c25k plan, but I stuck with the agonizingly slow process and eventually succeeded in running 5k distances, and that is pretty much where I am now. I'm just not interested in a half or full marathon. I run about 5k 3/4 times a week and do strength training and cycling as well. I love running, but it is only one part of my fitness plan so maybe I am not a real runner in the classic sense. But I do trail running and absolutly adore it. It is well worth the effort I invested to become a runner. You may be able to follow the plan, or you may be like me and have to go even slower, but you can do it and it is worth it!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner, but I started the C25K a few weeks ago. I got the iPod app, and during the first week, I could have sworn that the prompts were off - lasting WAYYYY too long on the running parts. But, it's gotten a little easier. I repeat weeks as I need to, so that I can be ready for the next ones. I'm in no rush to finish, but I'd just like to be able to say I got through it!! I'm moving to W4D1 tonight.:noway:

Good luck to all of us trying to complete this program!!!
  • littlerolo
    littlerolo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for making this thread, just the inspiration I needed. I downloaded the first week a few days ago and keep putting it off so I am determined to do it tomorrow :)
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    This is my 2nd round, I didn't complete the first round. But this time DH is running with me and we are on W1D2. I enjoy running, sometimes it blows when I am running but I feel fantastic afterwards and that's what keeps me going.
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 4 day 3 of the program (tomorrow is day 3 for me). And I was NOT a runner either. I still wouldn't group myself into that category lol. But it is definitely doable like everyone is saying!!
    After each workout I was like "dang I'm going to have to do that one again because I suck!" but, I haven't repeated a day yet. Week 4 is when you start the 5 minute runs, and I was very nervous. But, I just thought, What the hell? See if I can do it, if I can't I'll give myself a break.
    You wouldn't believe what your body can do. I can now run 5 minutes without stopping. Although, I still every once and a while have to walk for about 30 seconds to catch my breath. But if I can, I just keep on going.
    Fun little tip I just learned: on my second 5 minute circuit, I stopped thinking about running. I started thinking about other things... for me, it's what I was going to do with this new horse I've been training. Anything you can think about that keeps your mind busy, and keeps you happy is a good thing while you're starting to up the time and distance. Also, you might realize how tense you were while running, and as soon as you stop thinking about it, your muscles loosen and it suddenly get's easier :-p
    And don't go TOO FAST! I keep on trying to do that haha. I run outside and I always feel like a snail, so I up the speed and then I can't breathe lol. Just pick a pace, stick to it, and keep it slow for now. Speed can come later (or at least I keep telling myself that).

Good luck! Stick with it. And when you don't think you'll be prepared for the next week, just give it a try and see what happens. You may surprise yourself :)
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was ALWAYS last in gym class, it never failed!!!
    When I started, I was just like you..."I'm not a runner, I'm the fat girl that always comes in last." Even when I ran/walked my annual 5K this May, I psyched myself out mentally and was convinced that I couldn't run. I speed walked. I walked the 5K in 38 minutes which is good, but I really wanted to run it. I did week 3 of C25K on that same course a few weeks ago and did it in 36 minutes. But I RAN some of it!!! My bf was so impressed and so was I!!!
    Today I did W5D2 and I thought there was no way I could run 8 minutes straight, but I did!!! I promised myself not to look at the clock unless I really needed to. When I finally looked at it, there were about 2 minutes left and I thought "Pfffft, 2 minutes, I did that in week 2. I can do this!!"
  • stephgreene
    stephgreene Posts: 143
    Options
    This thread made me feel so much better! I'm starting c25k with one of my friends next week and I'm pretty nervous because she is in WAY better shape than I am, but I think we'll be able to do it! I just gotta push through the asthma and carry my inhaler with me!
  • MeganM_OKC
    Options
    I'm at week 5. Never ran before and never thought about running when I was fit. It has been a challenge but I constantly surprise myself at each time increase. My biggest challenge is running outside. I've got it down running indoors but with our Oklahoma temps and humidity I struggle outdoors.

Overall I definitely feel confident in the program and progress I've made. First 5K set for Aug. 13th. Better start getting use to the weather. :smile: