Logging Exercise

Options
When logging exercise that involves taking breaks, do you log the entire duration, or just the "moving time"? For example: today I went on a moderate/strenuous hike that took me about an hour roundtrip. An app on my phone told me that I only really moved for about 40 minutes, so I logged the 40 minutes. Is that the best way to do it? or should I log the entire outing?

Replies

• VanishersCoach
    Options
    I will say to just log the 40minutes that way you can keep setting higher goals for yourself while losing a little extra. That's just me though
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I use a hrm annd I log the amount of time I spend in my target zone . It tells he my whole time and time in zone

So if I take a 30 second break without going below my target it still counts.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do it the same way, I only log the actual moving time. I worry if I log break time I may end up over eating calories I didnt actually earn!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I would go with the 40 mins, because MFP will inflate the calories burned, from my experience.
  • jezzi4ever
    jezzi4ever Posts: 100
    Options
    Gotcha--all good points. I was thinking about the target heart rate...so maybe I can add 5 minutes for breaks, but not add the time spent enjoying the views from the tops of these mountains. (mini mountains, I'm in CT after all :) )

Thanks for the help, all!