skipping thru C25K?

Options
So I started doing c25k two days ago, I've been doing cardio at the gym for a few months now (though I don't go often) so I'm not super out of shape, but I'm definitely out of shape to a good extent LOL.

Anyway, yesterday, the first day, was pretty easy. Today me and my mom did day 2, it was easier than before for me (she couldn't run all of it though so I slowed down if she needed). After we did day 2 we took a 5-10 minute break sitting on a bench and decided to try day 3. We did it and she was able to do all the runs, it was great. We were out of breath but could hold a conversation pretty well.

My question is, will it be okay to do 2+ days together, one after another? As long as no injuries occur and we don't push too hard. Is there any reason not to? I've only been able to find answers on repeating days/weeks. Which I may have to do when it gets harder. Like tomorrow the time increases.

Thanks!

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hey.
    Great to hear your getting into running, several years ago I used the c210k plan to kick start my running and have since ran many half and a couple marathons.

Its not really advisable to do double days, for now it may seem easy but there are several factors to consider. Firstly you've yet to have your rest day, believe me the double session may have felt easy but if your muscle fibres aren't used to working in this way I'd put money on the two of you being pretty stiff in the morning or at least more so than you would had you done a single session which may effect the next days session. Its always important to remember that rest days are just as important as training days as they give your muscles a chance to rebuild.
    These programmes are specifically tailored by professionals if double sessions were wise I'm sure they'd have incorporated them, they aren't designed to be rushed through. You may have a basic level of fitness from previous cardio experience but if your mother does not she will be more susceptible to injury by overworking muscles.
    Anyone you ask will also give you the same advice regarding resting during exercise, if you are to do double sessions don't sit down between them, your muscles will tighten and again you will be more susceptible to injury. My best advice would be if you are to do double, in between runs take ten minutes remain on your feet, regulate your breathing and stretch off.

I hope you enjoy the programme, I certainly did and if you follow as advised I promise you'll be running for joy not for fitness. Good luck.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just jump time to where you find it challenging and go from there instead of doing two workouts in a row.
    For example, start at 5 minutes running/1 minute walking x 3 (or whatever the program is for 5 and 1) insteadyof doing 10 1 minute run/1 minute walk twice (or whatever)

But really, it isn't a super strict program. It is meant to take someone from very beginner to running but if you aren't totally a beginner, you don't necessarily need to start at the start.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to follow the program why use it?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Because building up a base in small increments is still a sound strategy even if you don't necessarily start from the beginning?
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Are you kidding? Lol I'm just asking if its okay to do the program faster because I know my body and I know I could challenge myself more than the app is. I AM following the program. But today, ONE day, I did extra.
    And you did not even bother to attempt to answer my question.
  • myssjaxson
    myssjaxson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would just jump time to where you find it challenging and go from there instead of doing two workouts in a row.
    For example, start at 5 minutes running/1 minute walking x 3 (or whatever the program is for 5 and 1) insteadyof doing 10 1 minute run/1 minute walk twice (or whatever)

But really, it isn't a super strict program. It is meant to take someone from very beginner to running but if you aren't totally a beginner, you don't necessarily need to start at the start.

Thank you so much :)