Saving Barcode scanned items for future use

Does anyone know if there is a way to scan an item's barcode and have that item stored for future use? I am able to recall items I have previously added but I would like to scan items when purchased so I can simply add them at some point in the future when I consume them. Currently when I scan an item, then delete it, it does not remain on my Recent list or anywhere else I can see. Any thoughts?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    It will only remain on your list of foods if it's actually incorporated into a day's food diary. In other words, eat it or lose it. ;)
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    I scan the item I want to save first under the meal, and then save it as a meal. It's not a best option, but the only way I found so far.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    For me the writing out of my meals eaten on a dry ease board from the kitchen then taking it to the computer and logging in each item solidifies my habits. I need to reprogram my eating some kind of way, and all this logging, mindful eating, and paying attention is part of my process. By just scanning barcodes do you really get the messages? Actions are powerful things. The logging, the preparing food, its all the journey. That is just my opinion.
  • MonarchRC
    MonarchRC Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the responses. Personally, I don't need a process to change my eating habits, I simply would like a quick way to track what I am eating and have it incorporated into my Garmin VivoSmart program. Being able to scan items and have them stored and available for future use, would help me do this and be a useful feature, IMHO.
  • GrannyNics
    GrannyNics Posts: 4 Member
    Idiots guide please step by step "how to scan a food label and add to food diary" many thanks
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    I have a Dymo thermal label printer and use the "Dymo Label" software to replicate barcodes. It come in handy when I need to take things out of their original package or the barcode is in an inconvenient place.

3q83glzwusht.jpg
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited January 2016
    ZeroDelta wrote: »
    I have a Dymo thermal label printer and use the "Dymo Label" software to replicate barcodes. It come in handy when I need to take things out of their original package or the barcode is in an inconvenient place.

3q83glzwusht.jpg

Oooh I've got one of those (Dymo LabelWriter 450) but never thought to do this! Do you create your own barcode with it? If not, how do you scan the barcode to the Dymo software? I've only used it to import Christmas card address labels from Excel!
  • ZeroDelta
    edited January 2016
    I create the barcode. You just enter all of the barcode numbers in the linked text box EXCEPT the last one. The last one is a check digit. The label software computes this automatically.Here's a screen cap of the barcode setup and the text field it pulls the UPC from.

3c70a182ki9g.jpg
    ouu3okevru34.jpg

Which numbers to enter on the UPC barcode
    davn8un1givv.jpg

Entering the UPC number into the linked text box.
    9yos3w5gd5el.jpg

• CurlyCockney
    @ZeroDelta Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! This is going to be my project for next week :-)
  • ZeroDelta
    @ZeroDelta Thank you so much for taking the time to do that! This is going to be my project for next week :-)

You're welcome! Here's a little more information that should make it easier.

vq4l6mazg1me.jpg
  • CurlyCockney
    Thanks again! I'm having a bad day today (I'm a massive David Bowie fan and he's just died) so might have to come back to this another time xx