Pre made vs Homemade

Options
Today I went to the supermarket to get ingredients to make chicken pot pie. Items such as carrots, onions, chicken and spices etc. Half way through shopping I found a small container of pre made chicken pot pie. I scanned the barcode and it fit within my calories for the day. I decided to get it in instead as at the moment I'm struggling with money. The pre made 350gram chicken pot pie was $5 and the chicken I had in my basket was $8 for 240grams. I also checked the ingredients and no ingredients that shocked me. The brand prides itself on using natural Ingredients.

Anyway what are your opinions? Would you pay make it yourself or buy pre made?

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I cook for a family of 5, so I would buy all the ingredients and make it from scratch, that way it would be large enough for two dinners and I would have left over ingredients to make something else. If you are buying just for yourself than hey why not.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I would make it myself due to the sodium content in the premade version. If I didn't have HBP however I would have taken the easy way out.

I see nothing wrong with buying things already prepared if it is more convenient and you like the taste of it.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    The big difference you'll find between premade and homemade, like Annie_01 mentioned, is the sodium content. I can only suspect that the premade filling is really high in sodium. However, that's not necessarily an awful thing either if it's the one high sodium thing you eat in the day and offset it with making sure you're drinking water.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to make a choice based on other important things. Saving money when you have none seems pretty important to me (trust me, I've been there and done that).

If you plan ahead you can usually make home made meals cheaper than prepackaged. But you really have to plan. Buy ingredients that will be used in more than one meal. And make enough to eat as leftovers. As I get older I am making almost everything at home. I've even stopped buying packaged pasta (thanks to my new pasta maker I got for Christmas).
  • Lucknawi
    Lucknawi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer home made because it goes a lot farther than packaged. Even if you're just cooking for you it is worth it in the end to get as much as you can out of those dollars you spend by doing all your meals home made. Just prepare in advance.

As a side note, I know what it's like to eat on a strict budget... I have definitely been there. And when I cooked at home it really help, one thing that helped me even more was using flyers from all the local stores to determine where I get my groceries... I walked to each one and pick up what I needed at the lowest price. And additionally I also made meal plans that were based on the cheapest but most nutrient dense foods I could get so that I could get the most out of my bucks.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I would never make a pot pie myself, no.
  • netgeekette
    netgeekette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. If you meet your nutritional goals it doesn't matter how you get there. If you're cooking for multiple people it often works out cheaper to do from crash, but when it is just one person it is often not worth it. You would likely have way too much left overs to be worth it and you can only eat chicken pot pie so many times
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It's whatever works for you. The advantage of cooking from scratch is that you tend to cook way more than one portion of something - e.g I'm cooking a beef chilli today, and that will be dinner today plus lunches throughout next week. But cooking a single portion of something can be rather expensive.
    PS 8 dollars for 240g of chicken sounds extortionate!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well $8 for 240g of chicken is outrageous, lol.

But I've bought premade things (like soup) because sometimes it's just too much work to make it myself (plus fresh veggies are very expensive right now). So for me time factor should definitely be considered in the price. But yeah I've bought already made guacamole because it was cheaper than buying 1 avocado.

But usually I make things from scratch. With reasonable prices for the chicken (I rarely pay over $2.69 a pound for chicken breast, and other cuts are cheaper), it would be cheaper to make it yourself too, and you'd have enough for several meals. And homemade tastes better!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I try to make as much homemade as I can, especially things like a Birdseye frozen pasta meal. Those things are like 8 bucks for a bag that's supposed to feed a family of 4. (yeah right). Odds are, I already have pasta and mixed veggies at home. I can easily make a sauce and only need to buy the chicken/shrimp/etc and feed a lot more than 6 for a lot less money.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade for most meals. I costs less - i have a family of five so that would have been 25$. Never mind that, I am in Canada so it probably would have been $40.

Plus we ave food intolerances in the house that make most per packaged foods a health risk.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I prefer homemade for certain items so I can cook in bulk and freeze.

Desserts I usually buy premade though.
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    As far as nutrition, you can better trust anything you make at home because you can control exactly what goes into it. Sometimes it's not just calories but other added ingredients too. But if money was an issue for you in that moment and you took the time to read the nutrition and ingredients I suppose you could let it slide.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The difference would be the price for making vs buying it. Otherwise I'd have no guilt because the ingredients are natural.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Generally the ingredients add up to getting more than one meal out of them or many servings where a pre-made item is just one meal/serving. I'd probably figure out the cost vs servings of both and compare. Usually homemade item wins.
    Homemade food usually tastes better so I'd probably consider that.
    Sometimes I want food I don't have to prepare or I don't have the skill/time to make it from scratch. Pre-made item wins in that case.

Something like a pot pie I would probably make to use up leftover meat and vegetables. When I was meal planning I might have had a whole chicken planned one day and then planned to use the leftovers in various dishes like this.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I would make it myself so that I could add more chicken and less salt, and I'm pretty sure I'd have left over ingredients to use for something else. Unless I just bought it on impulse cuz it was on sale and I wanted it. Then I'd just eat it up and enjoy it.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    With five kids and a husband to feed, from scratch is the only way I can keep in budget. However, if it fits in your goals then there's no reason not to.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The majority of the time I'd cook from scratch. I know what's exactly going into my meal and I find it's much cheaper than pre-made. I'll meal plan too and make the food I buy go further, e.g buy a whole chicken for a roast dinner then use the remaining meat on other nights for a pie or in a curry etc. then use the bones for stock/broth. I'll make things in bulk too and freeze and eat it another night.
  • FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well $8 for 240g of chicken is outrageous, lol.

But I've bought premade things (like soup) because sometimes it's just too much work to make it myself (plus fresh veggies are very expensive right now). So for me time factor should definitely be considered in the price. But yeah I've bought already made guacamole because it was cheaper than buying 1 avocado.

But usually I make things from scratch. With reasonable prices for the chicken (I rarely pay over $2.69 a pound for chicken breast, and other cuts are cheaper), it would be cheaper to make it yourself too, and you'd have enough for several meals. And homemade tastes better!

Yeah we live near the 2nd most expensive supermarket in our country. The 1st is the second closest. We don't have a car either so its a pain but we have to shop there.
  • FrancineDesign
    FrancineDesign Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's opinions. I think if I did have more money I would make it myself maybe once I get a job I will :) some more background on my situation is I'm a recent graduate and I've been living off my savings desperately looking for a job. My boyfriend also lives with me and also unemployed at the moment and he is not so supportive with my weight loss so he has pizza and stuff haha and I have to come with him to McDonald's and stuff.