Can't lose my first pound.

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I find it best if yu don't eat after 6 because by 6 your sitting and not really doing much :) hope I helped a little

Meal timing is totally irrelevant to weight loss.

That's your opinion but I don't think so !

Just because you don't "think" so, science trumps all.

Well I have lost over 2 stone so it Works for me !

It works because you've created a consistent calorie deficit, whether you meant to or not.
  • annebourne2
    annebourne2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    nnnaq5rggu08.jpg

• annebourne2
    Options
    This chart is very helpful. I have been very diligent this week (my very first, I'm on day 7) and often eat just under the recommended calories, don't count exercise (only went to the gym once), I haven't been drinking the recommended water though. I've gained two pounds....I'll just keep at it and hopefully next week will start to lose some weight. Thanks for this chart though, it's encouraging.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This chart is very helpful. I have been very diligent this week (my very first, I'm on day 7) and often eat just under the recommended calories, don't count exercise (only went to the gym once), I haven't been drinking the recommended water though. I've gained two pounds....I'll just keep at it and hopefully next week will start to lose some weight. Thanks for this chart though, it's encouraging.

If you aren't drinking your water, check out your sodium intake for the week. That can definitely show scale increase just because of water retention.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I find it best if yu don't eat after 6 because by 6 your sitting and not really doing much :) hope I helped a little

Now we have two opinions. Flash quiz. If one wants to know the truth of the situation without resorting to opinions, where would one look?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

When you start to work out the muscles can get sore due to not being used to it. Water rushes to the site to help them repair. This water adds weight for a few days until the muscle has healed and releases it so to speak.
    This happens every time I change work outs or have a really tough work out.

It will start to come off don't worry :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Too early to judge the effectiveness of your approach then. The extra activity can temporarily raise your weight, even if you enjoyed a modest fat loss.

You might try dropping your daily calories by say 100 a day to see if that has an effect.

By the way if I am losing it only shows up once a month.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

When you start to work out the muscles can get sore due to not being used to it. Water rushes to the site to help them repair. This water adds weight for a few days until the muscle has healed and releases it so to speak.
    This happens every time I change work outs or have a really tough work out.

It will start to come off don't worry :)

Ya, I shot up seven pounds when I started lifting weights again last October and this water weight did indeed come back off - one time I lost four pounds overnight!
  • annebourne2
    Options
    Thanks very much, going to go and buy a digital scale today. Super new to all of this but so much great advice and tips as I'm surfing around. Have a nice day!
  • Mottephobic
    Mottephobic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Based on my own success I will say that while it may not matter how late you eat (before or after 6pm, 7pm etc). It does help to have a consistent eating schedule each day. This will help you to plan your meals and caloric intake more accurately. Also something that most of the users are neglecting to mention is that weight is not the best indicator of whether your diet is working. Since you are also working out it is possible that your weight will remain stagnant or even increase due to muscle gain. I would also start taking measurements (as suggested by MFP) on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. You may find that even though your weight is not plummeting as you may hope your overall body shape and size may be changing for the better. Best of luck in achieving your goals!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much, going to go and buy a digital scale today. Super new to all of this but so much great advice and tips as I'm surfing around. Have a nice day!

If it helps, I'm also in my first week and have put on 4lbs despite diligently sticking to my calories. I've assumed it's water and at some point it'll come off. Hang in there and feel free to friend me so we can cheer when it eventually comes off!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Just because you don't "think" so, science trumps all.

Well I have lost over 2 stone so it Works for me !

Maybe the reason you lost 2 stone is because you are monitoring your calorie intake and eating less than you are burning?!?!?

I have coffee and a small snack every night with my husband before he goes to work (8 pm) and I have lost 33 lbs. That doesn't mean I am losing the weight because I eat after 6pm.

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

That's not an opinion, it's fact. :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Do you have any evidence to back this claim up?
    I eat up until 1am and have lost weight? Am I special?
  • Alyexxa
    Alyexxa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! These boards are meant to be helpful. Stop flaming each other and give the OP the floor would you!?!
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I hear you can lose weight if you don't eat anything past 12 AM .
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

1) Meal timing means nothing
    2) How do you know what they do after 6pm?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Op, get yourself a food scale ! Learn all about weighing your portions . weigh all solids and measure all liquids.
  • simplycidalia
    simplycidalia Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I went a month and a half without any weight loss (except for the usual water weight loss), then in the following week, the scale budged 6 pounds. Weight loss is not linear. A pound a week is an average, it doesn't mean you'll lose a pound a week every week in an even line.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

A reason people often think this helps them lose weight is because of mindless late-night snacking, usually while watching TV (hence the less active part of the equation). Stopping the snacking can help get someone into a calorie deficit and TA-DA, weight-loss.

Meal timing has nothing to do with weight-loss. Meal timing has nothing to do calorie absorption or body chemistry. It's about staying within your calorie allotment. If not eating after 6pm helps someone lose weight--go for it. But for OP making their first post, seeking help and knowledge, it can be dangerous to suggest. What if OP now thinks they CAN'T eat after 6pm if they want to lose weight? What if they're like me and don't get home until 8 or 9pm? Then OP doesn't eat dinner ... Probably not a healthy habit to develop. Just sayin'.

PS Lost over 85 pounds and kept it all off for over a year (the first half for three years). Pretty much always eating after 6pm.