Bike Apps Question

Options
I am looking into apps for my road bike rather than spend big money on something like a Garmin or other bike computer. My major interest is nav and pace. For nav, I'd like to be able to pre-program the route. I prefer pace on screen while I ride although I don't know how accurate that is. I am not in need of heart rate data or other extras. Pretty much just Nav and pace for Droid are my primary drivers. I guess low battery usage would also be quite nice. I see a few out there in the app store but curious is folks here have any direct experience with any of them. Also, any mounting devices you found you like would be good data. I ride a Fuji Roubaix if that helps. Regular road handles - not tri.

Thanks for any helps.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The big issue is finding a suitable holder for your phone and accepting that the battery life will suffer as the screen stays on for an entire ride. A larger phone limits the holder options and pretty much eliminates the out front of the bar mounts that are available for most dedicated cycling computers.

Ride with GPS, Map My Ride are decent options that include mapping/routing. Strava will show a map but I've never tried to use the phone app as my primary tracker.

• howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Strava seems to be what everyone uses. It has route features (though I have never personally used it). I highly recommend you give it a try.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    thanks. I had not looked at mounting options but knew it might be challenging. I get pretty good battery life on the droid but know that would be an issue as well from using my Droid while driving in the old jeep (new jeep has onboard nav). I wouldn't need the nav for routes I know and ride regularly...mainly just when I go to unknown areas or new routes that I don't want to try and remember 35 turns.

I really don't want to spend a large amount on a dedicated platform, but what do you think are big on value? Again, I don't foresee any need for a bunch of bells/whistles. I am pretty basic - get out and ride but I do like to know how I am pacing and I do like to know where I am going (especially in new areas or on new routes).
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you search for "used garmin edge 800" they can be had for around $200. You will need to add an mini sd with maps... but there are ways to get the maps for free as outlined here: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

IMO thats the best bang for your buck you can possibly get.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    thanks. I downloaded strava last night but havent' had a chance to try it out.

I'll look at the Edge as well. Maybe I can find a deal given the time of year. I suspect prices may increase with the temps in March.
  • mikeeggins_66
    mikeeggins_66 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My phone will track at least 60 miles on strava without losing battery. I don't use a bar mount, just stop and get your phone out of your pocket if you get lost.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    thanks. I downloaded strava last night but havent' had a chance to try it out.

I'll look at the Edge as well. Maybe I can find a deal given the time of year. I suspect prices may increase with the temps in March.

Older models go on clearance as the newer, "must have" toys come onto the market. The Edge 800 is already superseded by the Edge 810 and 1000 ... the 500 and 510 replaced by the 520 ... shopping around can lead to good deals.

My phone will track at least 60 miles on strava without losing battery. I don't use a bar mount, just stop and get your phone out of your pocket if you get lost.

Screens are big battery killers so the difference in screen off in a pocket and screen on for routing options is significant.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    strangely, mounting options and battery life may actually be the deciders. If I have to go buy one of htose quick charge batteries and extra mounts, I may well be closing in on the "older model" clearance specials.

Maybe I should just invent a charger that connects to the wheel and a nice mount...sounds like opportunity to be a millionaire. Think Shark Tanks will take me?
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    strangely, mounting options and battery life may actually be the deciders. If I have to go buy one of htose quick charge batteries and extra mounts, I may well be closing in on the "older model" clearance specials.

Maybe I should just invent a charger that connects to the wheel and a nice mount...sounds like opportunity to be a millionaire. Think Shark Tanks will take me?

That is exactly how old bike lights were powered. I'm not sure I'd want that on my current tires and frame .... but it wasn't bad on a Huffy in the late 70s, early 80s.

Stored energy in a battery means less friction and less wattage required from the rider. I've seen cyclists with a top tube bag holding a power block for their phone during 60+ mile rides just to keep the phone alive with the screen on. It does work, but it comes down to does it meet your needs.

I use an Edge 510 ... it lacks a full map but does have the ability to import and display a route, give turn notifications, and say if I'm on or off route. The 800/810/1000 have full map capabilities, turn onto X street type guidance vs turn left in 150 feet .... but that comes at increased cost and size. There are also Magellan and Polar options on the market that all do similar things ... the big difference being which protocol they use to communicate to other devices such as cadence sensors, HRMs, etc ... Polar uses Bluetooth, Garmin uses ANT+.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I use Map My Ride, and do use a bag hanging off of my tube where I carry one of those portable charging packs that I use for the longer rides that I charge my iPhone with. MMR has most of the features that you are looking for.
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    @Brian - yes, I remember those little generators on the tire. I was speaking tongue in cheek. I wouldn't want that on my legs either. Thanks on the device feedback. I guess I have some research to do.

@TCaley - thanks. I'll look into the MMR app. I've used them on the web to look at routes and elevations and such, but not as an in-ride app.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Strava by far for phone apps. Hands down the best cycling app
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »
    Strava by far for phone apps. Hands down the best cycling app

thanks.