When did 10 pounds make a big difference?

Options
You know how when you are obese, you can lose 10 pounds and not be able to tell at all? At what point did you lose 10 pounds and it make a significant difference?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Honestly, I don't watch my scale weight closely enough, or pay close enough attention to how my body looks, to even know.
  • Kittyglo145
    Kittyglo145 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    You know how when you are obese, you can lose 10 pounds and not be able to tell at all? At what point did you lose 10 pounds and it make a significant difference?

Go to the store and pick up a 10 lb bag of potatoes. Think about the fact you aren't carrying that on your body anymore. Every pound makes a difference. :-)
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For me, I started at 252 lbs. I'm 5'8" and I'm down to 185 now. It's been a gradual thing... the more I lose, the more significant 10 lbs. becomes. I'm estimating that since the last 15 lbs saw me losing a full dress size that this next 10 lbs. will yield the same. It will really depend on your height and body type. I recommend Googling or searching for what size different people are at different heights and weights. You'll get a feel for it, but also see how different everyone really is. ;)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The lower your weight gets, the more visible difference 10 lbs will be. I've been hovering somewhere north of 170 for the better part of a year at 5'6.5" and I can tell the difference with 10 lbs, but no one else can. Don't worry too much about it, just keep at it and soon enough everyone will be able to tell the difference!
  • hellokristen
    hellokristen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with your height as well. I'm 5 foot eleven and ten pounds is seriously the difference between loose and tight fitting jeans in the same size.
    This is one of those things that is different for everyone.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10lb since starting December 28th. At 5'11 starting weight 280lb those 10lb aren't even noticeable in my clothes, however, walking the stairs has become less painful on my knees.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I lost well over 50 lbs before anyone even noticed anything. This last tenish lbs has been well noticed. I am 5 7.5 and was 276. Now am 208. Every 10 lbs from now on is going to be significant. I went from a tight 20/22 to a snug 14. Of course it gets a bit harder to loose the next ten lbs the closer you get to GW...
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am 6 feet, at my heaviest I was 346 pounds. I lost 170 plus pounds then gained back 40. I am on a mission to drop the extra pounds. Since January 1, as of this morning, I lost a total of 10 of the 40 pounds.

People noticed that something changed but they attributed to my hair :D .

When I was my heaviest, it took until I lost my first 30-40 pounds before people noticed. Now, a 10 pound loss seems a little more noticeable.

Keep at it!
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    At 5ft the first 10 lbs is the hardest for me, just actually having to think that I can do it.

But also being short, every 10 lbs is pretty noticeable, coming off or going on
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain on this on OP, I feel like I'm gonna have to lose 60 lbs before anyone notices anything. I've lost 14, and it feels like a battle....a losing battle, lol, but anyway, I look forward to the day when just 10 lbs will solicit a double take from family and friends...I'm not there yet!
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 and it shows. I'm mostly asking because I'm 5'7 weigh 180 and found myself think that 170 probably won't make much difference. Could be just me being negative but it made me curious when others saw aa big change with 10 lbs
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    when you're leaner, 10 Lbs will make a big difference...when you have a lot of weight to lose, it won't. I lost a total of 40 Lbs and my first 20-25 weren't that noticeable because a lot of that loss was in my extremities...rings loser, watch loser, neck, etc...my loss started showing in my face after about 20-25 Lbs down. my last 10 Lbs was the most dramatic as that's when my gut actually disappeared.
  • jmackey1980
    jmackey1980 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The first ten lbs for me means two things:

1. I'm actually serious about this and then tell myself I have to keep going so I don't lose momentum; and,
    2. My clothes that I was wearing too tight or uncomfortable in now fit correctly.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with your height as well. I'm 5 foot eleven and ten pounds is seriously the difference between loose and tight fitting jeans in the same size.
    This is one of those things that is different for everyone.

Very true! I am just under 5'4". I lost my first 9 pounds and everyone just gushed about how I'd lost a "ton" of weight. Nine pounds!!!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I think I lost about 20lbs when my youngest daughter complained that I wasn't 'squishy to hug any more'...

5'8" Started at about 224-ish. It's taken about eighteen months to lose 32lbs (gained a few over Christmas).
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    mine was "vanity" pounds and since I am tall I figured I wouldn't notice 10 pounds (I think because I put it on so slowly and didn't notice it happening) but it was obvious when I lost it. Thank goodness because I needed the motivation to keep going for the last 10.
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Depends on your weight and height
  • motterotter
    motterotter Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you are 200 lbs thats 5 percent of your body weight and is still beneficial to your health
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options

Go to the store and pick up a 10 lb bag of potatoes. Think about the fact you aren't carrying that on your body anymore. Every pound makes a difference. :-)

That's an excellent way of looking at it! :smiley: I accidentally lost 7lbs over the festive period and yesterday at the gym I wondered how much that really was off my body (more in mass/substance than a number). Tomorrow I'm going to pick up those 7lbs and see what it feels like. :smile:

To the OP... Everyone loses or gains their weight a bit differently, in that your genes decide where your weight gathers more than other places. I know as a gainer, for me 10lbs was noticeable between 140lbs to 150lbs. As an experiment you could take a selfie every 10lbs of your journey, making the pic as close to the last as possible. See where you notice the difference. :smile:
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree quote="mrsmulkster1986;35048690"]

Go to the store and pick up a 10 lb bag of potatoes. Think about the fact you aren't carrying that on your body anymore. Every pound makes a difference. :-)[/quote]

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!