I gained 5lbs over the holidays.. D:

Options
I put on 5 pounds over the holidays and my healthy eating just seems to have disappeared with the buffets, the chocolates, crisps and junk food that I've been eating.. :( I haven't been exercising either and when I look at myself when I get changed or I'm in the shower or something I just feel fat as I've gained weight and it's visible :( I think the fact that I have anxiety is making it worse as well as I think have also been comfort eating.. D:

I'm going to try and start eating healthier and start having vegetables every day again. I'm also going to start tracking my calories again to try and keep them under 1200. I want to start ballet as well and my doctor wants me to start Pilates so if I do this and also join Zumba and/or LBT then I will be getting exercise at least three times a week. I have also bought a skipping rope so I can do some exercise when I don't have a class or I don't have time or money to go to one or something.

If I do this exercise and get my calories back down to 1200 a day will my weight go back down? It's making me really unhappy to see myself looking like this.. D:

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Don't try to keep them under 1200. You should be eating a minimum of 1200 calories. You could still lose weight on more than 1200, actually. It all depends on how much you exercise and how you move throughout the day, but you should not be aiming to eat any less than 1200.
  • slikorify
    slikorify Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you gain weight really fast it's usually water weight (from not drinking enough water or eating more sodium than usual) or just food being held in your stomach. If that's the case then that weight will drop off really fast. I gained about 6lbs between Christmas and NYE and lost it all in about 3 days once I got back to it, so don't worry too much! To gain 5lb of actual fat you need to eat around 17500 calories (that's 17 and a half thousand!) over your maintenance, which is likely around 2000 calories a day for you.

So yeah, just get back to eating the right amount of calories again and you'll get rid of it fast :). Might want to eat a bit more than 1200 if you're exercising each day though, although everyone is different so just adjust it so you're not losing weight too fast!
  • CombatGirl93
    CombatGirl93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I gained about the same over the holidays so you're definitely not alone. Since the beginning of January, I've returned to the gym and my OH and I have been eating healthily since. Will be weighing myself on Tuesday so watch this space!!!

The main thing is to give your body a bit of time to get back to normal. Try not to be too disheartened though; your body knows what it's doing if you eat well and keep yourself moving :3
  • crodriguez0223
    crodriguez0223 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    LillyLisax wrote: »
    I put on 5 pounds over the holidays and my healthy eating just seems to have disappeared with the buffets, the chocolates, crisps and junk food that I've been eating.. :( I haven't been exercising either and when I look at myself when I get changed or I'm in the shower or something I just feel fat as I've gained weight and it's visible :( I think the fact that I have anxiety is making it worse as well as I think have also been comfort eating.. D:

I'm going to try and start eating healthier and start having vegetables every day again. I'm also going to start tracking my calories again to try and keep them under 1200. I want to start ballet as well and my doctor wants me to start Pilates so if I do this and also join Zumba and/or LBT then I will be getting exercise at least three times a week. I have also bought a skipping rope so I can do some exercise when I don't have a class or I don't have time or money to go to one or something.

If I do this exercise and get my calories back down to 1200 a day will my weight go back down? It's making me really unhappy to see myself looking like this.. D:

You can't be perfect everyday or all the time. Allow a cheat day every so often be get back to your program that you had.