To the LA fitness sales person

Options
2»

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    As previously stated, not all gums are like this, but I don't think you particularly need a new gym. You didn't set out looking for training, and you've done great with your progress so far (congrats on the 25lbs!).

I also go to LA fitness because it's close; it's not a great gym, but I can get there in 5 minutes, so I'm far more likely to go. I make it work. And, funny enough, I have about a $1000 in training that my mom gave me (she forgot to cancel an auto draft) and I don't use them because their trainers are horrible and teach bad form (so they aren't even useful for form checks). I just video myself and ask form questions here of my friends. There's a really good form check thread in the eat, train, progress group too.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    As previously stated, not all gums are like this, but I don't think you particularly need a new gym. You didn't set out looking for training, and you've done great with your progress so far (congrats on the 25lbs!).

I also go to LA fitness because it's close; it's not a great gym, but I can get there in 5 minutes, so I'm far more likely to go. I make it work. And, funny enough, I have about a $1000 in training that my mom gave me (she forgot to cancel an auto draft) and I don't use them because their trainers ate horrible and teach bad form (so they aren't even useful for form checks). I just video myself and pay form questions here for my friends. There's a really good form check thread in the eat, train, progress group too.

She makes a good point! After that session, I actually stayed at my gym for a year and just did my own thing. The trainers weren't part of it and I just did what I wanted. I really only left because the other gym is closer to home and I wanted a pool to train in which the original one didn't have.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    find a different gym.

I agree.... and to the person that said they are 'all like this'. I disagree, I go to the Y and have been to all the locations, never had pressure like that. Was a member at 2 other gyms before this Y was built and got free assessment and trainers were available if you wanted advice but there was no pressure. If you chose to hire one you'd sit down with one and write down your goals and see what they could work on with you.

Nah, all gyms are not the pushy sales type, shop around.

Ya, I've belonged to three YMCAs in two different states and none were like this. They charge more per month than my LA Fitness did.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

There are tons of gyms that are not like this...just sayin'

I correct myself. Most CHAIN gyms are like this. I've found the YMCA's and community gyms to not push anything.

• aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    find a different gym.

I agree.... and to the person that said they are 'all like this'. I disagree, I go to the Y and have been to all the locations, never had pressure like that. Was a member at 2 other gyms before this Y was built and got free assessment and trainers were available if you wanted advice but there was no pressure. If you chose to hire one you'd sit down with one and write down your goals and see what they could work on with you.

Nah, all gyms are not the pushy sales type, shop around.

Ya, I've belonged to three YMCAs in two different states and none were like this. They charge more per month than my LA Fitness did.

I'm also a member at the Y. I've been a member at 3 different locations now, and have always had a great experience. They advertise their personal training, but don't force it. When I did want to sign up, the trainer I was paired with was very cool about me only being able to afford the 1x/week for a month package vs. the 2x/week for a month package. The trainers are always walking around able to assist when needed. I've even had some stop and just ask how I was doing and if I had any questions.
  • beautifully0dd
    beautifully0dd Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm very thankful I come from a small town. We have two gyms. Both open 24 hours. Both allow you to work by yourself. There is no one in the gyms other then regular people working out. You'll see the owners every once in awhile cleaning things up and restocking things. They show you how everything works when you first join and other then that they leave you alone. There's signs up for personal trainers if you want one. I've seen one once. He was extremely nice to the couple he was working with and polite to everyone else there. I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. I assure you not all gyms are like this.
  • neversaynever_43
    neversaynever_43 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been at LA Fitness for like 10 years. Their trainers are morons. I don't contend to be a fitness guru but I would never use these guys. Kind of sad because I would like a little help with going heavy with free weighs.
    On the flip side I love a lot of their classes. Most of the instructors are great people. Extremely helpful and patient. Body works and kickboxing and Zumba are great.
    Ignore that guy and show up for a class.
  • Emma33021
    Emma33021 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I already took several body works classes, different instructors, and I love them. I can't change the gym cause the others are further and I hate to drive longer. I just needed to vent, that's why the post.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I already took several body works classes, different instructors, and I love them. I can't change the gym cause the others are further and I hate to drive longer. I just needed to vent, that's why the post.

Vent away sweetie!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Now that you've had the assessment and declined the training it is probably the last you'll ever see of that guy anyway. I belong to LA Fitness - they do that to all newbies but then you never deal with the sales people again.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have my headphones in before I get out of the car, and I don't remove them till my workout is over and I'm back in my car. The horde of pt babies inside the door of planet fitness must be able to read my need to be left alone, I've yet to be approached.

I've never been approached either. I walk in the door, say high to the person at the desk, scan my card and walk directly to the locker room. When I come out I go about my workout. Other than saying hi I have no contact with the staff.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What a nasty turd. Sorry.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    This guy crossed the line when he said " so you want to die from...."

Its very true that they are usually pushy because they have a quota to make but that was still a very poor choice of words on his part .

From now on I would just stay away from this guy and go about your business. Proper form is important though. I would study up on it and watch plenty of videos showing proper form since you are unable to use a trainer right now.

As bad as that sounds, I have heard people from at least 4 different LA Fitness gyms in different parts of the US report that the "trainer" used the exact phrase with them as part of the sales pitch (one was the personal training manager). Which is why I think it is SOP for their business.