Two pounds a week? Reasonable?

Options
This is my goal. I know sometimes weight loss can suddenly halt. However, is this considered reasonable? I know if you weigh less it's harder to say two pounds a week. Of course this is only if you are eating right and exercising. I know it takes so much to lose one pound..but I am determined to do this..

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If your ticker is accurate, it isn't reasonable. .5-1 pound a week is. At 2 pounds, you'll risk losing more muscle than you would on a smaller deficit.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Generally 1 lb/week is about right. Unless you weigh 300 lbs, in which case 2 lbs not a problem! :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With 20 pounds to lose? No. 1 pound at most.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I find that people who are that aggressive with their weight loss on here are less likely to stick to it in the long run, or end up bingeing because they are so hungry and then complain they aren't losing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    Agrees with all the posters above me.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If your ticker is accurate, it isn't reasonable. .5-1 pound a week is. At 2 pounds, you'll risk losing more muscle than you would on a smaller deficit.

What ticker??? I'm confused
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

What ticker??? I'm confused

On your profile, it says your goal is to lose 21lbs :)
  • tracefan
    Options
    How can someone view a profile. I didn't even know
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    with that little to lose, no. you need to set at a half pound or pound week at most.
  • cdicostanzo
    cdicostanzo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me why the pounds lost does not appear where I track my food. I have tried to figure out how to add it but cant seem to figure it out.
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    yeah don't try to lose too fast. make sure you're eating plenty or you will end up putting it back on and more! Women tend to do this.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    +1 to the advice to lose more slowly. I lost at 2 pounds a week at first, when I had something like 60 to lose. When I got to around 15-20 to lose, I intentionally slowed that down to 1lb/week, then at around 10lb remaining, to 0.5lb/week. You want to keep as much of your muscle as you can, while losing fat, right? (Muscle comes in handy. ;) ).

People can see your profile from the forum by clicking on your picture, then clicking on your alias.
  • Moriarek
    Moriarek Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Don't be so obsessed with the number, how about setting yourself a more practical goal, like singing up to a 5k or 10k in X months? Passing time will be a great motivation for you, not just stepping on a scale every day. Losing weight is not just about the number, but losing fat! You can lose fat and gain weight - water for example.

Two pound a week is achievable, but this number probably won't lead you to your dreamed silhouette. Commit yourself to more tangible goal and you will be unstoppable :)
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I only have 13lbs to lose, I've set my goal to lose 1lb per week, which is right around 1400-1450 cals per day. 2lbs per week for me would be unreasonable.
  • tracefan
    Options
    Moriarek wrote: »
    Don't be so obsessed with the number, how about setting yourself a more practical goal, like singing up to a 5k or 10k in X months? Passing time will be a great motivation for you, not just stepping on a scale every day. Losing weight is not just about the number, but losing fat! You can lose fat and gain weight - water for example.

Two pound a week is achievable, but this number probably won't lead you to your dreamed silhouette. Commit yourself to more tangible goal and you will be unstoppable :)

I agree. I was at my best two years ago. I didn't care about the number I was toned and lost inches. As long as I'm comfortable in my clothing and feel fit .. i'm good
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I agree, I lost 2.5 per week, but that's with 50 lbs to lose. I'm at 20 lbs to lose and cut the goal down to 1 per week. For one thing, trying to cut your calories too much is going to leave you not eating enough, that's why I slowed down.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I agree, I lost 2.5 per week, but that's with 50 lbs to lose. I'm at 20 lbs to lose and cut the goal down to 1 per week. For one thing, trying to cut your calories too much is going to leave you not eating enough, that's why I slowed down.

Yeah when i was 250 i lost 2+ pounds a week with really even trying. But, if i did that now i would be a little miserable. I lost 3 pounds or so last week but, then again i was constipated pretty much up to the day before weigh in where i went like 10 times. So I'm not sure i trust the scale.