Options
    I'm not sure its fact but I heard it a few times in my travels
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lninyoda1 wrote: »
    They do say that soda triggers your brain to want more sugar

Who's "they"? Hopefully "they" have something more than anecdotes or a study which doesn't distinguish between correlation and causation.

I see a lot of fat people in the gym. Are they fat because they're in the gym, or are they in the gym because they're fat? I see fat people drinking diet soda. Are they fat because they drink diet soda, or are they drinking the diet soda to cut their calories down and lose weight?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    They said the aliens had probes
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Probes??
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That's what I heard
  • queenliz99
    Options
  • GoldenLuv23
    GoldenLuv23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like people who equate 150C of soda with 150C of broccoli. Soda is pure sugar, will spike insulin levels, and will leave you crashed after a couple hours. Broccoli is full of fiber which will make you feel less hungry so you'll eat less throughout the day.

There are no 'cheats' to weight loss. If you eat processed crap, you are going to have a harder time losing weight. People love to deny that here, and I'm not sure why. It's not that you won't lose weight. It's just so much easier if you eat things like fruits, veggies, and chicken breasts than microwaving lean cuisine. Done both. It's not even a contest.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I like people who equate 150C of soda with 150C of broccoli. Soda is pure sugar, will spike insulin levels, and will leave you crashed after a couple hours. Broccoli is full of fiber which will make you feel less hungry so you'll eat less throughout the day.

There are no 'cheats' to weight loss. If you eat processed crap, you are going to have a harder time losing weight. People love to deny that here, and I'm not sure why. It's not that you won't lose weight. It's just so much easier if you eat things like fruits, veggies, and chicken breasts than microwaving lean cuisine. Done both. It's not even a contest.

So I have not lost all me weight eating processed "crap", who da thunk?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Aside from the water retention associated with a diet higher in sodium, please explain the scientific/physiological principles by which your body evaluates your food choices and would derive a greater caloric deficit from 1500 calories of fruit and vegetables as opposed to 1500 calories which included microwaved lean cuisines and soda. Peer-reviewed studies greatly appreciated, kthx.

People love to deny that here because science. Plain and simple.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sorry bro, our bodies actually need a certain number of calories each day.

You are assuming that people are eating EXACTLY the number of calories they need each and every day, and are adding on exactly 150 extra from a can of soda. That's just not the case.

Most people are overeating on each and every single meal. Doesn't matter where; people are overeating total calories. They could be eating an extra 150 calories worth of veggies a day and it wouldn't matter because "oh noes! 15 pounds a year!".

And the ones who are actually tracking calories, would account for the calories in said soda.

So your intended "point" is moot.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Sorry bro, our bodies actually need a certain number of calories each day.

You are assuming that people are eating EXACTLY the number of calories they need each and every day, and are adding on exactly 150 extra from a can of soda. That's just not the case.

Most people are overeating on each and every single meal. Doesn't matter where; people are overeating total calories. They could be eating an extra 150 calories worth of veggies a day and it wouldn't matter because "oh noes! 15 pounds a year!".

And the ones who are actually tracking calories, would account for the calories in said soda.

So your intended "point" is moot.

Exactly.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

The equation works as a retort to the OP. Seems reasonable enough to me as well that governments telling people to get their "5 a day" and to force feed on huge portions of fruit and veggies they otherwise wouldn't eat as much of is just as likely to create a population that eats a hundred or more calories a day than they would have consumed otherwise.

And "hard" is relative. It's hard for me to eat food I don't like. It's hard for me to deny myself foods I do like. Doing what I can adhere to has been key for me. It's not a "cheat" in my world to choose chocolate instead of wasting my time and calories on fruit or whatever.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

So, a professor who has 0 to do with nutrition looks over a bunch of nutritional studies and makes claims most likely not supported by the studies she looked over. And that is called a study in the title of the article.

The article is then published in a Elsevier pub ... not quite the zenith of academia.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

150 calories from any source is a comparable discussion ... equal measurements of units of energy. That does not mean that the nutritional profile of the foods is comparable nor does it mean that 150 calories of broccoli is necessarily the best option for a person without looking at how the nutrition of that one food fits into the overall diet.
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I do like the general idea of the math, or at least what I got from it. However, if 365 cans of soda equals only 15lbs of my body weight that doesn't really speak much for the completely remove all soda from your diet view some people in my family and group of friends have. I will be playing around with some numbers myself because this seems interesting to me.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    150 calories of any food consumed daily will result in that amount of gain if that is the food that puts you over maintenance. If you maintain at X calories per day on average but consume X+150 (from any source), you gain.
  • Chase_12345
    Chase_12345 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's true. One can of soda has 150 calories. Times 365, in one year, that's 54,750 calories. One pound of body weight is 3,500 calories. 54,750 divided by 3,500 is 15 lbs!

You also burn caloires every day and to gain that weight you would have to eat over 3,500 a day.You gain weight only in one day.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This is why I plan to consume ONLY one can is soda a day. That will put me over 2k a day under my calorie needs. -2k x 365 days means I'll lose 4 k pounds in a year with Soda! Amazing. And true.

(Math not to scale)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    This is why I plan to consume ONLY one can is soda a day. That will put me over 2k a day under my calorie needs. -2k x 365 days means I'll lose 4 k pounds in a year with Soda! Amazing. And true.

(Math not to scale)

You win MFP!