Ready for cleaner eating???

Options
elimar105
elimar105 Posts: 11 Member
I've been an avid exerciser my entire life, just recently embraced staying within daily caloric intake goals, and am ready to try cleaner eating, i.e. unprocessed foods. Right now my day isn't complete without a serving of PB2 OR my favorite sugar-free coffee creamer. Anyone want to join me on this journey?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    No, but I hope it works for you if that's what you want to do!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You may find some on here, best wishes :)
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Why exactly?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a bit of pb2 or coffee creamer, if that's what you enjoy and the rest of your day has lots of nutritious food?
  • elimar105
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Tblackdogs I,for over a month now and am looking for ways to improve my eating
  • elimar105
    Options
    Oops my hands are quicker than my head...
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    One of the best ways for most of us is to eat more vegetables, drink fewer sugary drinks and try to eat sensible portions.
  • elimar105
    Options
    For the past month I've been teetering between the same 4-5 pounds which could be due to the holidays, but as of today I am 15 pounds to my goal weight and it's getting harder to see the scale go down. Perhaps cleaning up my eating may help? Livingleanlivingclean, I agree!!! I've heard that it's the journey that is more important, not the destination.
  • elimar105
    Options
    Thanks Tblackdogs!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    eebrahim11 wrote: »
    For the past month I've been teetering between the same 4-5 pounds which could be due to the holidays, but as of today I am 15 pounds to my goal weight and it's getting harder to see the scale go down. Perhaps cleaning up my eating may help? Livingleanlivingclean, I agree!!! I've heard that it's the journey that is more important, not the destination.

If your losses have stalled, maybe review your logging to see if you can tighten it up somewhere. It is common for most stalls to be the result of complacency in logging practices. Are you using a food scale for all solids? There is a big difference in portion sizes between eyeballing and weighing foods. Measuring cups are often inaccurate as well. Additionally, if you have been losing, the number of daily calories will decrease as your weight decreases. Have you adjusted your goals along the way?

I just hate to see people giving up things they love when it isn't really necessary. Best of luck figuring it out.
  • elimar105
    Options
    Thanks nutmegoreo! I try to track every bite, lick, and taste but I know that it is still a weakness of mine because it's SO easy for me to round out the servings. Yes, I am also using iTrackbites which is similar to WW and it will decrease daily points (caloric intake) as the weight decreases. Good there. Don't worry, I am NOT going to give up because this is a way of life for me. Thanks again!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    eebrahim11 wrote: »
    Thanks nutmegoreo! I try to track every bite, lick, and taste but I know that it is still a weakness of mine because it's SO easy for me to round out the servings. Yes, I am also using iTrackbites which is similar to WW and it will decrease daily points (caloric intake) as the weight decreases. Good there. Don't worry, I am NOT going to give up because this is a way of life for me. Thanks again!

Awesome! Sounds like you have a plan :smile:
  • elimar105
    Options
    That's the plan!
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Check water intake and exercise and up it, if need be. Sometimes stalls happen when people eat the same things week after week. Mix it up, add a new food each week, etc.
  • elimar105
    Options
    Yes!!! Not even looking at my tracker this past week, I pretty much had the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day!!! Thanks!!!
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am starting over worth clean eating after being off and on MFP (mainly in) for 3 years. I would like supportive friends to help lose 30 lbs. I am an almost empty nester! Please add me if you can.
  • elimar105
    Options
    Hi lyssa1210!
    Yes I will add you if I can figure it out! Thanks!!!
  • 1mom22boyz
    1mom22boyz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi lyssa1210 and eebrahim11! I'm going to you add you ladies! I have similar goals to you lyssa. I hope to hear from you!
  • 1stgardengirl
    1stgardengirl Posts: 34 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @eebrahim11, Eating cleaner IS the way to go. You have the right idea. I started this journey in late August, 2015, at 230 lbs and am currently at 176, with a goal of 140 lbs. I credit consistent clean eating and exercise for my loss. Processed foods are junk with little or no nutritional value. When you are limiting your calories, why waste them on junk? They definitely make you feel more hungry and are usually more calorie dense. Yes, it is ok to have a splurge now and then, but it's not good to depend on eating processed foods daily. I haven't felt this good in many years, since starting to eat "clean." I have also gone gluten free, as I have Hashimotos hypothyroid disease (an autoimmune underactive thyroid disease) that may make a person's body react negatively to gluten. While this has been personally beneficial to me - it is specific to a person with that type of condition. Everyone doesn't necessarily need to go gluten free. You don't have to eat the same things every day to eat clean. There are so many fresh alternatives. Sometime it is good to have a fallback breakfast or dinner for those times when you are in a hurry, but you might want to have three or four "fallback" breakfasts or dinners just to shake things up. Lots of water is important to your plan, as others have mentioned. Good luck with everything!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    @eebrahim11, Eating cleaner IS the way to go. You have the right idea. I started this journey in late August, 2015, at 230 lbs and am currently at 176, with a goal of 140 lbs. I credit consistent clean eating and exercise for my loss. Processed foods are junk with little or no nutritional value. When you are limiting your calories, why waste them on junk? They definitely make you feel more hungry and are usually more calorie dense. Yes, it is ok to have a splurge now and then, but try not to depend on eating processed foods daily. Clean eating includes good proteins (small portions of grass fed beef, free range chicken, cage free eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts, real cheese, not the processed crud, etc.), organic vegetables, fruits, steel cut oats, a bit of steamed brown rice, etc. I am 64 years old and haven't felt this good in many years! I have also gone gluten free, as I have Hashimotos hypothyroid disease (an autoimmune underactive thyroid disease) that may make a person's body react negatively to gluten. While this has been personally beneficial to me - it is specific to a person with that type of condition. Everyone doesn't necessarily need to go gluten free. You don't have to eat the same things every day. You'll find so many fresh alternatives. Sometime it is good to have a fallback breakfast for those times when you are in a hurry, but you might want to have three or four "fallback" breakfasts just to shake things up. Lots of water is important to your plan, as others have mentioned. Good luck with everything!

I'm glad you've found something that is working for you. Can I ask, what is unprocessed cheese? Doesn't all cheese require some type of processing to become cheese?