Cancelled my gym membership

Options
My husband is going back to school full time at the end of the month. Due to his class schedule, he also had to take a job with more flexible hours (and less pay.) So, since my gym membership was due to be renewed anyway, we decided it would be best to let is lapse.

I'm scared that even after all this time, I will stop exercising. My work does have a gym that I can use (and I've grabbed a couple of coworkers to join me, just to keep me going!) But I wanted to hear from all the people who are exercising without the benefit of a gym nearby--I know you're out there!

Replies

• eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My husband is going back to school full time at the end of the month. Due to his class schedule, he also had to take a job with more flexible hours (and less pay.) So, since my gym membership was due to be renewed anyway, we decided it would be best to let is lapse.

I'm scared that even after all this time, I will stop exercising. My work does have a gym that I can use (and I've grabbed a couple of coworkers to join me, just to keep me going!) But I wanted to hear from all the people who are exercising without the benefit of a gym nearby--I know you're out there!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I exercise ONLY at home. Have never been to a gym in my life. You'll figure it out. It is a bit of a different schedule b/c you look at your house & think of all the other things you should be doing. However, once you figure out how to fit it in, it'll get easy. I walk when it is nice out, do Turbo Jam & I do the random lunges/jumping jacks/squats/cruches/pushups that I can do throughout the day.

You'll do fine! You've come so far & you're so determined to meet your goal that I don't think you'll have any problem. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I'm a gym person, but I believe it can be done without it.

I use my Wii Fit on days where I don't get to the gym.

You can get workout DVDs for free at the library.

It is cold here right now and icy outside, but if you are in a warmer place then you have the benefit of being able to go outside. Try to find a nice trail or path that you can walk/jog on. May have to wait till spring if you are somewhere cold like me!

Times are tough. The important part is that you are thinking and preparing for the change now! You can totally do it, even if it might take new routines. The gym at work seems like a great option, too.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Grab a copy of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred video. AWESOME! All you need is a commitment and some hand weights.

I too cut out my membership and am loving the at home thing SO much more. I don't have to worry about what I look like and I don't waste gas.

If you have Comcast, they have an exercise channel on OnDemand that has many of the latest workout videos for free.

Also...if you have a Wii, the Wii Fit is great and the My Fitness Coach is supposedly "THE BOMB".

Enjoy your time at home working out, without the hassle.

To be honest, I have never seen results at the gym like I have with 30 Day Shred.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I don't use a gym either. I'm WAY too cheap for that!
    I've done just fine with walking when the weather cooperates, and also dancing to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite "oldies" songs. It's fun, doesn't depend on the weather, and I can even watch tv too, so I'm never bored! :smile:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Hi, I live rurally and have no gym nearby. Exercise can take many forms, you just have to be creative.I rely on dvd's for some cardio, a treadmill for the bad weather days,and a set of snowshoes for the winter.In the summer I walk on our gravel roads and I have a total of 4 gardens to weed hoe and in the fall I am raking leaves all the time. I'm not really that big on upper body workouts so I just do the gardening and raking to get some. I was pleasantly surprised last year to find out how much calories snowshoeing gives me. I would really like a heart rate monitor to see if it really burns as much as the database says it does. Your name sounds like what happened to me over the holidays!:laugh: :laugh:
  • beautifullady
    Options
    I can't work out in a gym. I do all my workouts at home or I go for long brisk walks, and i do and aerobics DVD. Try many different home workout DVDs and then stick to the one that you enjoy. You will be able to find something that will suffice and you will enjoy. Tell your husband that I wish him well on going back to school.

Keep your chin up, it will all work out for the best, and you will find that one workout for yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • livinwell
    Options
    I found that once you have developed a workout "habit" you will find a way to get your workouts in. I was working out at a gym for two years and had great success, but when I cancelled my membership I still "craved" the workouts so I purchased an elliptical machine, I LOVE IT!!! I will never belong to a gym again. I think I'll check out Jillian's 30 Day Shred next to get toned up for the summer. You will figure it out and I'm sure you will have fun:wink: doing it.
  • megan0313
    megan0313 Posts: 394
    Options
    I can't work out in a gym. I do all my workouts at home or I go for long brisk walks, and i do and aerobics DVD. Try many different home workout DVDs and then stick to the one that you enjoy. You will be able to find something that will suffice and you will enjoy. Tell your husband that I wish him well on going back to school.

I'm the same...trying to get to the gym stresses me out, so I love the flexibility of working out at home. There are great DVD's out there, and I got a really nice treadmill from out local Pennysaver for under $100 that I love when the weather's too bad to get out and walk.

Best Wishes to you and your family :flowerforyou:
  • cbrooks66
    cbrooks66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Walking, jogging, push-ups, crunches, side leg lifts are all free so have at it! :) You can also check out free work out tapes from your county library if you're budgeting...
  • charlie1173
    Options
    My treadmill is my friend. I mounted a small TV on the wall at eye level and I walk when I get home from work, since I sit on my *kitten* all day for a living.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but we moved to where it would be way out of our way to go to the branch we like and the one closer to us is old and nasty. So I bought a relatively inexpensive recumbent bike at Kmart for a little over $100 last Christmas and some resistance bands at Target for under $5.00 for the set and I use my own weight for many exercises. I also have various DVD's for yoga and walking indoors and I can get plenty of exercise and I don't have to fight for space or equipment it's all mine! :bigsmile:
    Amy

118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • Trinaw
    Trinaw Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info on Jillian's 30 day shred, you sold me I just ordered it through amazon for $8.49 plus shipping!
  • SoupNazi
    Options
    Thanks for the info on Jillian's 30 day shred, you sold me I just ordered it through amazon for $8.49 plus shipping!

You will LOVE it! You will hate it at first, (meaning it's tough) but you will love it....I promise.

She replaces hours at the gym in 20+ minutes. That means it's hard......but so worth it. I am so glad you ordered it.

You are gonna do great!:flowerforyou:
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

You will LOVE it! You will hate it at first, (meaning it's tough) but you will love it....I promise.

She replaces hours at the gym in 20+ minutes. That means it's hard......but so worth it. I am so glad you ordered it.

SoupNazi I have heard you ladies praise that DVD so I bought one and haven't gotten to try it out yet. I worked out today til I got sore and never got to my elliptical or treadmill or that 30 Day Shred! But I am going to!!
  • michelleisfit
    michelleisfit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I understand about gym memberships costing so much. Luckily my husband is in the army and stationed on an air force base here in S. Korea so the gym is a mere 10 minute walk. I still do my Wii Fit everyday and recently bought the 30 day shred and it totally kicked my butt!
  • SoupNazi
    Options

SoupNazi I have heard you ladies praise that DVD so I bought one and haven't gotten to try it out yet. I worked out today til I got sore and never got to my elliptical or treadmill or that 30 Day Shred! But I am going to!!

Girl...you are gonna love it. Just PM me and we can share "how much we hate Jillian" stories. :laugh: J/K........I love her or I wouldn't put up with such cruelty.:blushing:

It will seem hard at first (maybe) but it gets so much better on day 5. I promise....cross my heart hope to die.:bigsmile:

Lemme know how you like it ,Renae. You are gonna conquer and take names....I just know it.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone. Thanks so much for the feedback--I'm confident there's still plenty of ways for me to exercise without they gym, and I'm really glad to hear from so many of you who have been doing it the "old-fashioned" way with great success! I'll keep you posted. :)
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    I have never been to a gym either.. i always think by the time I beat the traffic there, get there, drive back etc.. i can allready be done .. - saves time.. and i would always find more excuses not to go to the gym- no time, trafic, .. to late.. to early.. to busy.. to crowded.. etc.. while at home - no excuses..

when i was buying my house- i was looking for some ' extra space " for the workouts- no i have my own little gym in the house - it's " me time " it' s my room.. i don't think i would trade it for a gym .

always look out for some dvd's .. once you notice that you are getting burned out on one.. or not as much chanllanged - buy a new one, or .. when you see a " special price " just grab it.. i have a whole library of dvd's.. love them..

but try some jogging outside, a walk in the park , jump rope. crunches etc.. and for all the " membersheep fees" in a year- you can actually buy a treadmill or something like that and " own it "

you can do it .. just take it seriously- if you workout- make sure that time is " scheduled " and don't let anything get in between that- it's " your time " ..