Any ORANGETHEORY Fanatics out there?

Options
CyndyLeeForFreedom
CyndyLeeForFreedom Posts: 28 Member
edited January 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Looking for some MFP friends who are serious about fitness. I'm currently going to Orangetheory Fitness and would love to share experiences with others who love OTF as much as I do.

Replies

• tcassell1
    tcassell1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love OTF. I'm seriously obsessed!!! I've tried everything and this is the one thing that I have stuck with -- changes my body -- and is never boring. I drink the kool aid for sure!!!
  • heatherscherer1
    heatherscherer1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I love OTF. Been doing it since July 2015. I've lost 13 lbs, my body has changed, i feel amazing and i LOVE my trainers.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy OTF. It whoops me really good lol. Sadly, after Hell Week, I got really sick and fell off the wagon. Hoping to use up my 7 classes that remain and bulk buy a few more.
  • CyndyLeeForFreedom
    Options
    Yay....some really cool OTFers. Ha ha. That almost sounds like an insult.
    I definitely drink the cool aid. I was waiting waiting waiting for the one near me to open up and couldn't wait anymore so for a month, I drove 1.5 hours to get to the nearest one.
    Now the one near me is open and doing trial classes for 2 weeks prior to opening for their founding members. This is my 5th class in 5 days. I'm glad I signed up for the unlimited package.
    Does anyone have a low resting heart rate like me and have a hard time getting into the orange? I also have an issue with how they figure the max HR which determines which zones you get put in. They set everyone's max HR 10 bpms higher because they use the calculation 230 minus your age instead of 220. So that makes it even harder to get into the orange.
    Either way, I'm 18 classes in and I feel amazing. Not losing much weight though but I think it's because I'm losing fat and gaining muscle.
    Please friend me if you're interested.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The first few classes I was orange really easily. Now, it's a lot more difficult to get there and more importantly, to stay there. I guess it's a testament to improved fitness but it feels discouraging until I look bigger picture. I really need to get back into it. I just hate the crazy cost of it if you don't go with an unlimited package. We bought 25 class bundle.
  • CyndyLeeForFreedom
    Options
    I went with the unlimited package. I knew I'd be addicted. Thank goodness I got in at a lower price. 129/month. With me going 20 times a month, that works out to 6 dollars a class. What a bargain.
    And yes, I'm starting to realize that the more you work out, the harder it is to get into the orange.
    Wish they didn't set the max HR so high though because I think it's making people work too hard to reach that magnificent orange zone. Felt like I needed an ambulance just to get my 13 splats. Lol
    In my research the afterburn they claim you get from getting into the orange isn't really gonna make you or break you. It's about 100-150 calories a day. So I'm gonna try not to worry about it.
  • datsundriver87
    datsundriver87 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My wife has been going for two months and can't stop raving about it. She has the unlimited package also and goes 6 days a week. I travel to much to give it a shot plus the cost is high, but like I've told her if it works (and it is working for her) than its absolutely worth it.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My gym has an OTF-type program that I've been doing for a couple of years. . . actual OTF studios have just made their way into my region. But, I love it! I do a session at least 3 days a week. When I first started, getting into/staying in orange was very easy and I'd easily burn 500+ calories a session. Now, I have to work much harder at it and burn much less. But, in 2 years, I've lost 40 lbs, 3 pant sizes, and can get out of my own way - LOL!
  • CyndyLeeForFreedom
    Options
    It's a great program. Glad to hear so many success stories.
    I can't get enough if it. Today is day 6 in six days. It's tough going every day. Wednesday will be my rest day.
    I'm not losing any weight. This is my 19th class. I'm within my calories too. I don't know why I'm so worried about that number.
  • ph3n1xrise
    ph3n1xrise Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    count me in as one!!!! been going since 12/18/2015 and I'm totally hooked...it's the best thing ever for me....I enjoy the workouts and always get in a good one with each class...I love the science and tech behind he workouts...I always know that I can give a lil more or ease back...my highest splat points were 40!!! best full body workout in an hour.
  • Becky_LaBelle
    Becky_LaBelle Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've done 2 OTF classes this far. I'm a hot yoga fanatic but looking for something to change it up. I'm now running on a treadmill, something I've never been able to do without having a panic attack. Although it's challenging I'm capable of doing the workout. I may start going more often if my schedule and budget allows it.
  • iamtyson
    iamtyson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted as well, I love OTF! I love that we move around doing other exercises, otherwise I would get bored and focus on how hard I was breathing. I love the data at your fingertips, the loud music, the coaches pacing you, etc. I've been dedicated for about 4 months - weight came off quick, then started slowing down. Now the inches are remaining to melt away. If I just was more disciplined on the Diet, I would be at my desired weight. We are starting the weight loss challenge this week, so I will finally get my act together on the diet. and we'll see what happens weight wise. good luck to you and your OTF journey.
  • MissCarlaD
    MissCarlaD Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    The first few classes I was orange really easily. Now, it's a lot more difficult to get there and more importantly, to stay there. I guess it's a testament to improved fitness but it feels discouraging until I look bigger picture. I really need to get back into it. I just hate the crazy cost of it if you don't go with an unlimited package. We bought 25 class bundle.

Love OTF! I've been going since November and am loving the results. I too have been having the problem of not being able to get to orange as easily as I could before and just like you, I have to keep reminding myself that it's not because I'm not trying hard enough but because I'm more fit than I was before. Agree on the unlimited membership. I didn't think I'd really use it at first and now I go 6 days a week! I'm glad I got in at the Founding Members rate when my studio first opened!
  • MissCarlaD
    MissCarlaD Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    MissCarlaD wrote: »
    TaraTall wrote: »

Love OTF! I've been going since November and am loving the results. I too have been having the problem of not being able to get to orange as easily as I could before and just like you, I have to keep reminding myself that it's not because I'm not trying hard enough but because I'm more fit than I was before. Agree on the unlimited membership. I didn't think I'd really use it at first and now I go 6 days a week! I'm glad I got in at the Founding Members rate when my studio first opened!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It's a great program. Glad to hear so many success stories.
    I can't get enough if it. Today is day 6 in six days. It's tough going every day. Wednesday will be my rest day.
    I'm not losing any weight. This is my 19th class. I'm within my calories too. I don't know why I'm so worried about that number.
    I would be careful doing challenging HIIT 6 days a week. Most experts recommend 2-3 times a week max. I always figured that's why OTF packages their deals that way--- with 1-2 times a week being the big sellers. More isn't always better with intense exercise. If you don't have time to repair, you won't progress.
  • DeetLaReet
    DeetLaReet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love OTF!!! I've been going since November.

They just started a weightloss challenge And I decided to sign up for it... Looking forward to winning!!
  • nycsimone
    nycsimone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been going for 2 months and have lost about 15 pounds.

During my first class I got into the Orange by just jogging at 4.5mph and today I have to get up to 6.5mph to get into the Orange. I usually get 15-20 splat points and burn 900-1000 calories per workout.

I like OTF because it motivates me. I've always hated running and working out but at OTF they keep me in line and can set goals so I don't get bored.

Yes, it's expensive but I'd rather pay a lot for something that works for me than a little for something that is useless.
  • DeetLaReet
    DeetLaReet Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does your performance summary calorie burn ever seem too high? I would like to believe I burned 681 calories this morning, but I know my body and my metabolism, and just know that's impossible. When I log my exercise, I usually take off 100 calories from what my performance says. Anyone else?
  • nycsimone
    nycsimone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you do a quick search online you'll see the general consensus is that the calorie burn during the class is pretty accurate, the thing that is usually inaccurate is how much you burn after the class with EPOC. OTF says you can burn up to 20% additional 36 hours after your class but studies have shown the average to be around 5-10%, so much less than advertised.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love it. It's a new challenge every single day. I alternate between power walking and running so I don't burn out my legs every day and so I can concentrate more on the weight training aspect. I've been going between 4-5x a week for 18 months straight now! I typically burn between 575-650 per 55 minute class.