Family support? do you have any?

Options

Replies

• Jetamu96
    Jetamu96 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'm living away from home at the moment and my flatmate is a really healthy eater so no worries there. My family back home are all really supportive and my boyfriend doesn't know (gonna surprise him!).
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My husband is totally supportive but I would never ask him to change his eating habits just to accommodate me. We tend to eat fairly healthy anyway. There are days when I ask what he wants for supper and he responds with something that just doesn't fit my calories, like chicken wings or hamburgers and fries. On days like that my son and husband have that and I make myself something else or I fit it into my calories by exercising more. Temptation will always be there it's up to you to overcome it.
  • jtwakes
    jtwakes Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I do not. My husband has no intentions of trying to eat healthy. He will eat chips, cookies, cake etc all the time. It's much more of a difficult chore to have willpower when the pantry is filled with junk. I try all the time to beg him to either hide the stuff or not buy it.. but NO he still does.

I haven't touched anything and I make my own healthy choices. it's just frustrating.

Totally agree, i wish u success and remember do it 4 u:)
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I live alone, so I suppose I'm fortunate, but every Saturday I have dinner with my parents. Sometimes at my house, sometimes at theirs (we alternate weeks). They're very supportive of my weight loss - in a quiet, hardly-ever-verbal way - but I still cook for them the things they like to eat in the portions they enjoy. It wasn't their fault I got overweight, and I know better now how to portion myself. They don't even say anything anymore when my plate is significantly smaller than theirs. And I eat what they eat on those days. Just a bit less of it.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    First time - i had no family support. In actual fact, my siblings were trying to sabotage.

This time I have family support - my husband actually weighs out my food for me! Hubby has also eaten, and enjoyed, more healthier meals. And my mum and dad are very supportive and encouraging. My sister actively encouraged me to join her gym.

Although not necessary, family support makes the journey a lot more easier.
  • Dayofthebread
    Dayofthebread Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know it's all about the personal responsibility, but I do think it's tougher when there are foods around that you really want to eat. I don't think you should expect him not to buy it, but maybe you could come to a compromise about where it's stored?
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I live with my parents and younger sister. I've lost over 20lbs since last September, complete with a food scale and logging. They are proud of me and support me for the most part, but I have never asked them to change just because I wanted to be healthier. They still nag about me using a scale all the time. They eat what they want and I eat what I want. There have been plenty of times where they'll order pizza or get fast food and I won't eat it. They still buy frozen junk and Doritos and chips and my dad drinks tons of pop and eats a lot of candy. I choose not to have it. I have gone low carb and it is so much easier to ignore that stuff since my cravings are so much lower. I do it for me and only me.
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't, and my husband buys most of the groceries and brings home stuff like pizza, or asks for fattening things for dinner, which makes it doubly hard to plan.

The most effective thing I've found to do to meet my goals without him getting offended or calling me high maintenance is to plan out my dinner ahead of time and fit my calories in from there, and to make healthy sides to round out the meal.

For instance, he may want hot wings with macaroni & cheese (2 of his favorite things). So I bake the wings and make some steamed veggies and another low-fat side like brown rice or quinoa to eat instead of the mac & cheese for myself.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My family is completely supportive. The good thing is, I live alone, so whatever is in my cabinets or fridge is bc I bought it.

But when I did live with other people, I ignored it. Just like I ignore all of the cookies, cakes, donuts, soda, and candy at work.

I don't think it's really about will power as much as wanting something else more. I want my belly to be smaller more than I want that store bought cake sitting in the kitchen at my job.

Now that's not to say I don't indulge at work from time to time. Come February, I know two days they will be purchasing donuts from this fabulous bakery. I plan to have 1 donut each day. But just 1.
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree with u i lost 70+eating healthy with my house full of junk because my man wasnt on a diet u gotta want it bad enough.
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your weight problem is not your husband's responsibility to fix. He doesn't have to stop eating anything or hide his food or any of that. Short of him jamming potato chips and cookies down your throat, I don't see the problem. I lost over 50 pounds while my husband made no changes to his eating or exercise habits and yet I still consider him to be my biggest supporter. Focus on yourself, not on what he is or isn't doing.

• Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't feel like my family and friends actually support me.
  • canonri
    canonri Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem but the I decided enough was enough. I'm not cooking two meals or doing two different grocery halls. I took the grocery budget and bought what I needed. When he came home from work he noticed there wasn't any junk food to snack on in the cupboard. So I opened the fridge and made him some frozen yogurt as a snack. The next day he complained again so I made him Ham pinwheels. Gradually he kept eating the snacks I would prepare for him and ate dinner feeling extremely full. He stepped on the scale a Month later and had lost weight. Now he doesn't even complain a little. He loves that there are dinners premade in the fridge for him to take out and the snacks are easy for him to put together.

When he wants pop he buys it at work. If he wants fries he eats them on his lunch break. If he wants chips he drives to the corner store and comes home with a small little bag. That way it's not normally in the house.

Every time he did something small that made a big difference for me I would make a big deal of it so that he understood how important it is to me that he was trying.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I would be far more concerned about junk food in the house for the kids sake, than my own. An adult can show self control, a child cannot. And how can you explain to kids that dad gets to eat chips but they should have their fruit instead? In a situation like this, honestly, I would have a talk about setting healthy examples for the kids, limiting the treats (e.g. buying only what will be consumed immediately) or at least hiding treats, and if this did not work, I would end up throwing them away.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't have family support, but I don't have non-support either. I'm basically doing my thing and they are doing theirs. I don't make it a big deal and they don't either. I either eat what they eat if it fits, or make my own food if it doesn't. No one complains. I like it that way. I like that no one is babying me or walking on eggshells around me with their food choices.

The world is not going to change just because I decided to change. Getting used to this fact now is better than getting hit with it in the face when I decide to stop dieting and start maintaining. Even the most supportive people can only be supportive to a point. Asking others to overhaul their lives forever for my sake is unrealistic. There will always be high calorie foods wherever I go. There will always be family gatherings, parties, the amazing smell of bakeries when I pass by, all kinds of cleverly photographed food ads, chocolate bars near the checkout counter, friends and food rituals, intricate restaurant menus, and so on and so forth. The sooner I learn to deal with that like normal people do the easier maintenance will be. Living in a bubble for the duration of my diet would be counter productive.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Your weight problem is not your husband's responsibility to fix. He doesn't have to stop eating anything or hide his food or any of that. Short of him jamming potato chips and cookies down your throat, I don't see the problem. I lost over 50 pounds while my husband made no changes to his eating or exercise habits and yet I still consider him to be my biggest supporter. Focus on yourself, not on what he is or isn't doing.

That's cold. Shouldn't spouses SUPPORT each other? Not being RESPONSIBLE but support isn't that much to ask is it? As @yougotredonyou said, some compromises about where things are stored. Some compromises about what to buy (for example I could care less about potato chips and chocolate ice cream but could you please avoid bringing chocolate in). Some compromises about meals that can be shared. Why is that too much to ask?
  • holthaus3
    holthaus3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Usually tasks are split, and one person does the food shopping. Many times the shopping gets habitual and routine. The storage in the house does increase temptation and bad habits. I'm just getting started and these things do play a role in this topic... I'm lucky because my wife is doing this with me, gym and all. I hope we stick with it because I know we will benefit and feel much better!!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My husband is very supportive, even though he is trying to bulk up and I am trying to lose. He is a lot like me in the fact that he goes all in. We exercise together every night. He will lift weights as I run on the treadmill and then he helps me to lift. He has little by little found gym equipment for us to use at home. We now have a treadmill, a "tower of power", an elliptical, a bench, and lots of weights- Thank you Craigslist! He also helps me to research meals that would be beneficial for both of us as well as new exercises. It certainly has made my journey more fun.

That being said, I have been working on losing weight since June and he just started in late Nov. I was able to lose weight while he was still eating what he wanted to eat. It really helped me to strengthen my willpower and learn how to make choices about what I ate. It helped me to learn how to be able to eat the things I want in moderation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »

That's cold. Shouldn't spouses SUPPORT each other? Not being RESPONSIBLE but support isn't that much to ask is it? As @yougotredonyou said, some compromises about where things are stored. Some compromises about what to buy (for example I could care less about potato chips and chocolate ice cream but could you please avoid bringing chocolate in). Some compromises about meals that can be shared. Why is that too much to ask?

You and I define "support" differently. I don't consider not bringing a food into the house to be support. I don't consider my husband eating exactly what I eat to be support. If thso are support, I'd be unsupportive asking him to do them since I'd be asking him to not eat foods he wants and eat foods he doesn't want.

My husband supports me in small ways that add up to a bigger difference than would him eating a salad or refraining from eating M&Ms in front of me--he'll weigh hamburgers before grilling them, leave a food label I might need on the counter, tell our daughter not to bug me while I'm exercising, compliment me on an achievement, etc. It's the same kind of little stuff that we've done for each other for over 20 years. Basic kindnesses that make relationships enjoyable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ecdce wrote: »
    Have you politely asked him to move his food to a designated area where you're less tempted to get it?

Why bother asking him to hide food? Just as easy for OP to move her snacks and food to another cupboard or area. If the cookies in the pantry are a temptation you're struggling with, stop going in the pantry.

Don't go in the pantry? Do you even cook, bro?

My fiance and I aren't living together yet. He likes Fritos with sandwiches and we store them up above the cabinets - I can't see them and need a stool to get them.

I store 4 ounce ice cream minis in the back of the freezer where I can't see them.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't always share my weight control or healthy eating habits, but he is supportive of me. Unless I start getting too obsessive about it, then I can count on him for a dose of reality. He is pretty awesome. My whole family is very supportive.