Who else finds the gym boring?

Options

Replies

• canadianmom1975
    canadianmom1975 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I dont like the traditional gym either...i go to personal trainer that does circuit training and hiit type excersises
  • Claribel1
    Claribel1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with the gym. I love running on the treadmill but hate the feeling like I HAVE to go. So I do my workouts at home now.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the gym, so I work out at home with dvds, youtube, etc. I'm not opposed to going to a studio to workout. I do like going to studios that are geared towards a specific workout, such as a spin studio or a pole studio or yoga studio. Wednesdays are one of my favorite days of the week b/c it's my private lesson with my pole instructor. But a traditional gym is not for me.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I used to feel that way, surely because the gym for me used to mean a steady hour of cardio on either the treadmill or the elliptical. Now I mostly focus on weights, which has a lot of variety. I still use those cardio machines but in shorter bouts and with more variety (walking, running, and sprinting instead of just speed-walking). I also stretch now. When I go to the gym now, I think about what I need to do, but I also consider which of those things is least offensive at the moment, especially if I'm dragging. It's helped.
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I do
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    When I've gone to the gym to do treadmill and stationary bike, then yes, I would get so bored. But I loved going to the gym to do body pump, body flow, and various classes (such as with the TRX). Maybe try different classes, or try lifting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm always tremendously amused when people say "going to the gym is boring I don't know what to do"

well you're bored because you aren't challenged. find a program that challenges you and you educate yourself and it's not boring.

if you geninuly hate lifting weights- I'd usually say the same applies- but I get it- not everyone loves what I do- and they don't have to. But the whole "i don't know what to do" is a lame excuse for not liking the gym- it just means you are uneducated- it doesn't mean the gym is boring and you don't like it. It means you don't know what to do- much like when people walk into a fricking MAC or SEPHORA store- it's boring and overwhelming because they don't know what to do. Education and a plan cures all of those problems.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Love the adrenaline rush I get from lifting. Nothing is quite like it...
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    If I am putting actual effort into working out I don't have time to be bored.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    well you're bored because you aren't challenged.

It can still be boring, it's just a necessary evil.

Resistance training helps my running, that's it. It doesn't give me what I need from training in terms of headspace, plus it's in a room with other people rather than outdoors.

Of course the way round that is to throw some TRX straps in a camelbak and rig them on a tree when I get out to the woods, or to run across the the local park and do bodyweight training.

It all comes down to finding some way to make it interesting.

• rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I find the gym boring. It's just not for me.

I'd rather be outdoors walking, hiking, sprinting, ice skating, snowshoeing or working out at my local high school football field (pull ups on the goal post, running up and down stairs, walking lunges and burpees in the parking lot etc.)

Also I slowly built up a pretty sweet home gym over the years. It has everything I need and I'm the only one that uses my things. I love that! Not to mention it's a 1 minute commute from my bedroom.

I thought once I hit maintenance that I should join a gym, but I don't. I have lots of variety, I never get bored and most importantly I love my results!
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I really do not enjoy going to the gym because I fins it boring, but when I do go I try to mix it up with things like HIIT. Here are 2 exercises I like, one that you can do anywhere and one that you can do on the treadmill to make it less monotonous https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/quick_weight_loss_HIIT/
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a plan I am extremely bored I follow the Spartan workouts you can get from their website and I collect various workouts I find on line I also take some classes like kickboxing, yoga,bootcamp , PIYO to mix it up ...
  • cr8ig81
    cr8ig81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm debating to get myself a treadmill for £395, its the Reebox ZR9. Does anyone have one?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    well you're bored because you aren't challenged.

It can still be boring, it's just a necessary evil.

Resistance training helps my running, that's it. It doesn't give me what I need from training in terms of headspace, plus it's in a room with other people rather than outdoors.

Of course the way round that is to throw some TRX straps in a camelbak and rig them on a tree when I get out to the woods, or to run across the the local park and do bodyweight training.

It all comes down to finding some way to make it interesting.

I think if you're flat bored- then you're not challenged.

Not getting what you need out of it for headspace and work stuff- is different. If you're moving right along and doing the things checking the boxes- you're doing the work- you still aren't bored- it just isn't your cup of tea.

I don't see personal satiation vs boredom are the same thing.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    For me, if I went to the gym and used a tread mill or stationary bike, I was bored out of my mind. But I loved the classes, like Bodypump or Bodyflow.

As many have said in here, you just have to find something you really enjoy.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    cardio is boring, lifting heavy weights is not
  • mandykent111
    mandykent111 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Not everyone enjoys going to the gym, lifting weights, or traditional exercises in general. Some people just aren't into it, and when they are challenged it can be even more loathsome for them because they just don't like to do it. That being said, we all know we need to do it, so I recommend finding some activity you like that is also exercise. If you live somewhere warm, maybe stand up paddle boarding. If you live somewhere where it is snowing right now, maybe skiing/snowboarding. You get the idea..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If I don't go to the gym, I get pissy.

yeah..... i have about a 2 day limit of me not being there before I start to twitch and *kitten*..... LOLOL