C25k

Options
So I started c25k on new year and I've just completed wk2d2.
My question is I'm really struggling we have six, 90 second runs and from run 3 I'm really struggling my calf's burn and feel heavy.
I'm supposed to do my last run of week 2 on Wednesday but I don't think I will manage to move to week 3 on Friday.
What am I doing wrong

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    If your calves hurt it could be the shoes you are using, your form or a combination.

It could be that you are engaging and working those muscles differently than you are used to as well
  • addie_manzana
    addie_manzana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also don't forget you can re-run a day.
    It's about getting better and that is not so easy.
  • littlemissmetalfit1
    Options
    If your calves hurt it could be the shoes you are using, your form or a combination.

It could be that you are engaging and working those muscles differently than you are used to as well

Cheers I got new trainers fitted a few weeks ago I was fine until I started week 2 and bam 3rd run onwards calf's on fire
  • littlemissmetalfit1
    Options
    Also don't forget you can re-run a day.
    It's about getting better and that is not so easy.

Thanks think I might use this week for wk2 hopefully the extra run will help.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I started c25k on new year and I've just completed wk2d2.
    My question is I'm really struggling we have six, 90 second runs and from run 3 I'm really struggling my calf's burn and feel heavy.

My first inclination is form, but it might depend on where you started from. What activities did you do before you started C25K?

With respect to form, people do have different biomechanical constraints but calf pain could be down to either an excessive forefoot strike, or your shoes being quite minimalist. Are you doing a lot of uphill slope work?

It's also not out of the question you're pushing yourself a bit too fast. The point of C25K is finishing the sessions, not how far you go.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It could also just be weak calves. Are you doing any strength training? There are a number of simple exercises that may help (eg calf raises) Check out the OTC 10 (the basis for my tri club's strength & conditioning program)

ottawatriathlonclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125&Itemid=206

It may also be a case of trying to progress to quickly, don't worry if you have to repeat a week, everyone progresses at their own rate.
  • tasch79
    tasch79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try slowing down and seeing if that helps? I would stay on week 2 for another week and see how you feel.
  • littlemissmetalfit1
    Options
    It could also just be weak calves. Are you doing any strength training? There are a number of simple exercises that may help (eg calf raises) Check out the OTC 10 (the basis for my tri club's strength & conditioning program)

ottawatriathlonclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125&Itemid=206

It may also be a case of trying to progress to quickly, don't worry if you have to repeat a week, everyone progresses at their own rate.

I've followed the program to how it said.
  • littlemissmetalfit1
    Options
    tasch79 wrote: »
    Perhaps try slowing down and seeing if that helps? I would stay on week 2 for another week and see how you feel.

I'm not very fast at all at times my daughter walks besides me while I'm trying to jog.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    tasch79 wrote: »

I'm not very fast at all at times my daughter walks besides me while I'm trying to jog.

I was going to say slow down too, even if you think you're already slow. But definitely feel free to redo weeks too.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I also would say to slow down. It takes a few weeks for all of your systems (muscle, tendon, circulation, etc) to catch up with each other. Some will be able to handle the running more than others. Until they do, you can only run as slow as the weakest of the systems. You feel as if you are running slow but it may still be too fast for now. A simple "test" is to try to speak a sentence while running. If you pant your way through it, you're going too fast.

Congratulations on getting started with the program and continuing. You can do this.

I recommend the C25K group here on MFP. It's active and has a lot of support & advice for those going through the program:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    .... But definitely feel free to redo weeks too.

Yes, dont feel guilty if you dont follow the schedule exactly. Twice, I dropped back a week or adjusted the run lenghts towards the end. It took me 3-4 weeks longer than scheduled.