I'm looking people who are starting or have gone through the same journey as me.

Options
I'm 32, at least 60-75 pounds overweight, completely out of shape, I have a busy life with a wife, two young children, and very stressful job. I also don't have a lot of extra cash laying around to spend on expensive food, gizmos, gadgets, and gym memberships. I'm looking for friends that are starting a similar journey so that we can help each other meet our goals.

Replies

48839 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can add me rashandagrant@yahoo.com
  • notsoskinnyfi
    notsoskinnyfi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello, sounds like we are quite similar, although I don't have any kids. Don't think you need lots money to try and get fit, YouTube has loads free workouts to start out at home, might be worth checking out. Feel free to add me
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm similar. 33, around 160 pounds overweight, out of shape, and busy. I have a 5-year old and a husband, am in school, and am waiting to hear back for sure on a 911 dispatcher job.

We also don't have a lot of money to spend, but my husband just OK me to get a basic weight bench to use it home & I have found a ton of free workout videos and apps that use no or little equipment, plus scored a treadmill and exercise bike off craigslist cheaply over the years (bike was free - broken display, but the company replace it at no charge, treadmill was $40 and needed a $5 key to make it work again).
  • ljcreekmore
    ljcreekmore Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i understand you. i am 41. 70+ over where i want to be. I have a husband and 2 kids at home, boy-12 and girl-16. i spend 3/4ths of my day behind a desk. anyone can add me if they would like.
  • ljcreekmore
    ljcreekmore Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    firead, you sound like me. I get exercise dvds from goodwill for $3 or less. My husband did by me a tv and dvd player last year for Christmas/anniversary gift. plus he has come across a treadmill and a gazelle that he got real cheap.
  • audreyanderson4
    audreyanderson4 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me if u like
  • ilovesweeties
    ilovesweeties Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi. I lost 70 lbs over about a year in 2014/15. I work in an office, have a young family and had gotten quite out of shape. I saw a photo of myself on holiday which broke my heart and I resolved to do something about it.

I cut my intake to around 1500 calories/day (I am 175cm tall) and started off aiming for 10,000 steps a day. After a few months and about 35 pounds lost, I didn't want to cut calories further, so I started a run/walk programme and worked up to running 5k, two or three times a week. Recently I discovered FitnessBlender workouts on YouTube. You can do a lot of bodyweight work in your house in 20-30 mins, which will help with strength and maintaining muscle while you are losing. I didn't have any equipment apart from trainers and a sports bra!

Apart from a digital food scale, a digital scale for me, new clothes and a FitBit Flex, I didn't spend a lot and I spent less on eating out. I sold old clothes that were too big as I lost, which helped fund all the new clothes!

It wasn't easy, but it was simple- I cut calories and moved about a lot more. I weighed and logged what I ate most of the time, fitting in what I fancied eating so I didn't feel deprived. I tried to make sure I could still take part in celebrations- I had a break from cutting/logging calories on holidays, my birthday and Christmas. It kept me from reaching my goal quite as quickly, but it was important not to feel like I was missing out or punishing myself.

Good luck! If you are committed and motivated you will handle this no problem.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The good news is you don't have to spend a lot to do this.

Figure out what your calories should be by inputting your info on this app. No special foods needed. You just eat less (and more of the lower calorie items if you lIke to eat in bulk). I would recommend buying a food scale that weighs in grams and has a tare button - can be found under $20. Weigh all your food.

Plenty of free exercise. Free exercise videos on YouTube. Plenty of free, good advice from a lot of people that have been successful long term on this site.
  • BeastField
    BeastField Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Similar here, but have about 35-40 pounds to lose. I have a wife and 6 kids, so I know all about that. Feel free to add me (anyone) and we can all work together to get our goals accomplished.
  • Chelseas_Journey
    Chelseas_Journey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm similar as well. I have 100+ pounds to lose and am really out of shape, I am married and have a 1 year old daughter and very little extra funds lying around. Feel free to add me while we go through this together.
  • Rdsgoal16
    Rdsgoal16 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Welcome anyone to add me, I am 26 pounds down, bought a used raggedy bowflex and a $100 Wal-Mart recumbent bike, I have 70 to go! You can do this!
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Added bro. Similar-ish story, I have gone through this once already going from 295-220 and have started again recently. I can say from experience that I didn't need more cash to diet. In fact I save a bunch of money because I am eating stuff like eggs and cans of tuna. Although I have a gym membership I rarely do cardio and the only actual expense I have is like $15 a month for the pills I take and the money I save on food is way more than that.

The most important thing is to stay motivated and do NOT get upset if you stumble. I used measurements on my first go round. It works great because you can have little or no loss for the week but see inches disappear and that will keep you on track mentally.
  • cookiemachin
    cookiemachin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, very similar here. Im 35 with 31% body fat! hectic home life with 4 kids and busy job. Apparently I need to lose 60lb but I am aiming for 40lb to start with then concentrating on the body fat%. I have opened my food diary but bear with me I'm only 11 days in so stumble occasionally but I'm getting there. Everybody's welcome to add me!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar boat when I started: working a job I hated, utterly broke, with a very young child.

The biggest thing for me was to find times I could go for walks, to set realistic goals, and to find ways to cook that were inexpensive. I didn't eat organic or make any huge overhauls to my diet. I learned which vegetables were cheapest, and found ways to fold them into my diet. I started looking for sales. But mostly I just ate things I liked in smaller quantities, and made an effort to try new things.

If you're going to get one gadget, I highly recommend a food scale. I started with this one, for under $10, and it utterly changed how I eat and my ability to view portions. Most of my weight loss came after I was using it, as it helps ensure the best possible accuracy on your log.

Don't feel like you have to do it all at once; just a little bit at the time will get you there, as long as you're ready to stick with it. :)
  • MommaDusa
    MommaDusa Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Similar here as well.. Mother of two. House wife.. needing to lose 50 lbs. Add me if you like.