Cutting carbs

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I eat very low carb, fewer than 20g of carbs per day, but like the others said, I don't do it for a faster weight loss. Some people with insulin resistance may lose slightly faster on a low carb high fat diet, but it is only a matter of a few pounds. It isn't much of a difference.

One benefit of a low carb diet can be a reduced appetite so you eat less, but your calories are already quite low. I am a middle aged 5'8" sedentary mom who was eating 1500 kcal per day to lose a couple of pounds per week - losing faster is not generally advised. You could probably increase your calories by quite a bit and still lose very successfully.

If you eat low carb, you'll need to increase fats or protein. Most increase fats. You may want to do some reading on it before changing your diet. Jimmy Moore has a good blog and a book, Keto Clarity. Atkins has a lot of info, and the Dukan and south beach diets are relatively low carb too. The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living has lots of great info.

Also, if you stay that low carb you will probably experience an electrolyte imbalance and get headaches, fatigued, or ill. Increase sodium to 3000-5000 mg and consider increasing potassium and magnesium.

ETA I wouldn't go with the shakes. Start as you mean to go on. KWIM?
    Good luck.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    Multiple thoughts:
    1. How much are you trying to lose? (Height/weight/age)
    2. Your username implies you are a guy - why therefore are you eating less than the recommended minimum NET calories for men (1500)?
    3. You are not burning 1500 calories at the gym. And if you were, then you need to be eating more like 2500-3000.
    4. Doing a week of protein shakes sounds like a terrible idea. A miserable, starving, unhealthy, terrible idea.

First off please don't be rude. Second off I was already advised on how shakes for a week was a bad idea but thank you. And in regards to me burning 1500 calories a day. YES I DO. How can you say no I don't, do you work out with me? I'm on the olyptical every day Monday to Saturday two times a day at the gym, I burn 750 get off do weights sauna relax. Do it again. Repeat daily, break Sunday.

So you are a guy? People say not to go below 1500 for several reasons, one of which was mentioned. You may feel fine on 1250 now but the hunger often has a cumulative effect and once it catches up with you it often derails you. That's not the only reason though. The minimum calorie count is inputed for reasons above hunger and binging. Less than 1500 puts you at risk for not getting the minimum nutrients/vitamins/minerals/calories for your basic metabolic functions which means if you sustain this deficit in the long term it can have really major health risks associated with it. If you aren't working with a doctor on this calorie level, I would highly recommend upping your calories to 1500 at the bare minimum.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    OP you seem really confused. I'd suggest reading the stickies. If in fact you were eating so little and burning so many calories you wouldn't be feeling so great. It seems you are eating more than you think and way over estimating your calorie burn. You say you aren't, but don't exactly say how you are reaching these numbers and since we don't have your stats there's no way for anyone to help you understand this.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Also 1500 is yes recommended but I don't believe it is always necessary.

Me neither, no idea where it came from and MFP haven't implemented it on the automatic goal setting.

• fitnforward
    fitnforward Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Its been helping me with High Proteing/Low Carb approach. I followed Atkins years ago with no weight training and pounds came off. But I wasn't firm and toned. I started Atkins induction phase with 20 or below on Dec. 29 to jump start my journey. Now I do 50 carbs and below daily. Because my body changed over to Ketosis recently, moderate amount and its still in Ketosis. I'm thankful. I'm losing inches a lot faster this time due to weight training, the scale didn't move for 17 days then BOOM 3 lbs went. I have Hashimotos, Lyme, Celiac, and Menopause fighting against me everyday, so my journey is a challenge to say the least. But I keep fighting and staying consistent. I like the High Protein/Low Carb because I have more energy and not hungry like a diet leaves you. It's more of a lifestyle for me... but do what works for YOU. Good Luck!!! :smiley:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You may well be burning 1500 calories on an elliptical but that would take me personally 3.5 hours at a resistance of 17 out of 25 and a speed of about 5mph

I'm 5'8, 160lbs, female and fairly fit

if you weigh a lot more perhaps you could cut that time down

just be careful believing what machines spit out and go by weight loss
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Me neither, no idea where it came from and MFP haven't implemented it on the automatic goal setting.

Yes you do

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    OP I do think maybe you might wish to reevaluate your calorific and protein minimums and your exercise programme

When you lose weight all scale weight is a mixture of water, fat and LBM (eg muscle)

You really might want to limit the amount of muscle you lose, because muscle is what makes us, at a decent body fat% dependent on aesthetic ideal, look and feel awesome.

In defecit a good protein minimum is to consider 0.64g - 0.8g protein per lb bodyweight (fat minimum at 0.35g per lb bodyweight)

Cardio, elliptical work, does burn more calories than strength training. But a progressive resistance programme will further help protect you from undue loss of LBM as you cut. But for cardiovascular health you really only need a couple of 20-30 minute sessions per week

There are bodyweight programmes and weights programmes and a whole range of programmes that fit into progressive resistance but I would strongly, strongly recommend anyone does this

also you need to eat to fuel your life and exercise so too low and you'll get exhausted, ill and give up.. too high and you won't lose weight .. keep your weight loss at around 1% of your total bw as a decent enough guideline, average it over each 6- 8 weeks rolling period and you should be getting decent feedback for how much you are actually eating vs burning

best of luck
  • yarwell
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Yes you do

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

Sadly the referred document does not support 1,500 as a lower limit...

" A patient may choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal/day for women and 1,200 to 1,500 kcal/day for men. "

Perhaps as well they never implemented it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Yes you do

Sadly the referred document does not support 1,500 as a lower limit...

" A patient may choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal/day for women and 1,200 to 1,500 kcal/day for men. "

Perhaps as well they never implemented it.

Sorry yarwell I didn't look at the document just at MFP stating they'd set a 1500 minimum for men. As I am not male I didn't know this was another glitch. "To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women." perhaps @alex can look into this?

As for the document embedded in that page, I'll admit I haven't read it in it's entirety but assumed that the MFP team had hence the line above.

I will absolutely concede that I can't easily find a minimum recommendation in that document but I'd love to know the surrounding context of that quote you've provided if you'd be so kind.

To support MFP's stance as detailed on that page I did find this:

When I scanned I found this which would imply that there is no need for dropping to VLCD status for the majority (I note MFP say " users with guidance from a physician or registered dietitian can customize their goals" :

"Goals of Weight Loss and Management.
    The initial goal of weight loss therapy is to reduce body weight by approximately 10 percent from baseline. If this goal is achieved, further weight loss can be attempted, if indicated through further evaluation. A reasonable time line for a 10 percent reduction in body weight is 6 months of therapy.

For overweight patients with BMIs in the typical range of 27 to 35, a decrease of 300 to 500 kcal/day will result in weight losses of about 1 ⁄2 to 1 lb/week and a 10 percent loss in 6 months. For more severely obese patients
    with BMIs > 35, deficits of up to 500 to 1,000 kcal/day will lead to weight losses of about 1 to 2 lb/week and a 10 percent weight loss in 6 months. Weight loss at the rate of 1 to 2 lb/week (calorie deficit of 500 to 1,000 kcal/day) commonly occurs for up to 6 months. After 6 months, the rate of weight loss usually declines and weight plateaus
    because of a lesser energy expenditure at the lower weight."
  • yarwell
    Options
    The 1,500 didn't even make it to the recommendations in the referenced report - I found it by text searching for 1,500. The report defines VLCD as <800 so I have no idea why you brought that up.

Executive summary page xix top of right hand column
    Strategies for Weight Loss and Weight
    Maintenance.
    Dietary Therapy: A diet that is individually
    planned and takes into account the patient’s
    overweight status in order to help create a
    deficit of 500 to 1,000 kcal/day should be an
    integral part of any weight loss program. A
    patient may choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200
    kcal/day for women and 1,200 to 1,500
    kcal/day for men.

page 74 second paragraph and top of right hand column

page 174 definitions
    Low-calorie diet (LCD): Caloric restriction of
    about 800 to 1,500 calories (approximately 12
    to 15 kcal/kg of body weight) per day

NB not a VLCD
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Oh I see so it's a definition..gotcha
  • yarwell
    Options
    Oh I see so it's a definition..gotcha

It's a recommendation for weight loss. A low calorie diet. As defined. 1200-1500 for nene, 1000-1200 for women.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Nene ? Men
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm good with calorie counter. I also go to the gym Monday through Saturday and burn 1500 calories a day. I have only been eating 1250 calories a day. I know it's low but it was just to kick start a healthier living. In sure I was eating 2500-4000 a day. Know a days I eat tons of low calorie fruit, sugar free calorie free jello, tuna chicken, tons of veggies and that's basically it. I just thought if I ate less carbs I may lose weight alittle faster.

1500 calories is the recommended minimum for an adult male. Fast weight loss comes with a trade-off. When you lose weight you lose fat, muscle, and water. Low carb helps with the water loss (your muscles hold glycogen), that's why low carb appears to be fast weight loss. But water loss is not the same as fat loss.

To minimize lean muscle loss you want to eat enough (more than 1250) eat enough protein and strength train. Fast weight loss often sacrifices lean muscle.
  • yarwell
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    1500 calories is the recommended minimum for an adult male.

Recommended by who ?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Nene ? Men

Watch me whip?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    But I'm honestly ok with 1250. I feel good!

Dear OP, you will feel good, until you don't.

VLCD vet here. I was morbidly obese and it was doctor supervised. I ate 800 calories a day and exercised 60 - 90 minutes a day for three months, then upped to 1000 calories a day to complete my weight loss - 100 pounds.

I felt really good the first 3 months, still okay through around month 5 or 6. At the end I felt like crap. And I didn't up my calories in a healthy controlled way.

If you have been at this 3 months already then I suggest you eat at maintenance for at least two weeks before eating at deficit again to give your adrenals a breaks.

180degreehealth.com/the-catecholamine-honeymoon/
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    1500 calories is the recommended minimum for an adult male.

Recommended by who ?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/low-calorie-diet
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with carbs.. You lose weight because you burn more calories than you eat. Don't get on a bash of particular macros because your body needs them all. Just measure what you eat and keep a deficit and you will lose weight.