Exercising without knowing???

Hi all!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who HATES excercising! Running hurts my back, the gym is so boring, and I've never really been in to sports. (That's not to offend anyone who does enjoy the gym/running/sports, good on you guys for getting into it).

I try to get excercise in by swimming/water aerobics, bush walking, taking dogs for a walk, kicking a ball with my partner in the park.

My question is, does anyone have any more ideas about how to get excercise in my days that might be more enjoyable or that serves a double purpose (like walking dogs), or even having so much fun that I don't realise it's excercise??? -I can hope right?

Thanks everyone

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I didn't like exercise at all, hated the gym etc until I got into Taekwondo. I love it, I'm learning something as well as exercising, and it makes me want to go to the gym to get better and faster, so I can be better at it. Would something like a martial art interest you?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Another one allergic to exercise here.
    What helps me is taking a variety of different classes- the more fun the better.

But that isn't what you asked.
    For just doing things and not thinking I am exercising. I do....
    body squats when waiting for the microwave to beep,
    planks while waiting a lot to boil,
    Lunges on the way back from the bathroom (15 to the living room; 22 the kitchen sink),
    Biceps curls with the grocery bag before emptying it.
    Have 2 milk jugs at the top of the stairs and do a flight down and up while passing.
    Practice ab & glute contractions and posture while in the car.
    Tricep chair lifts when I sit down to eat at home (Can't remember what they are called).

None of this is time consuming, but it does add up to a good little stretch in the day, and keeps the muscles active.

Cheers, h.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Hi all!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who HATES excercising! Running hurts my back, the gym is so boring, and I've never really been in to sports. (That's not to offend anyone who does enjoy the gym/running/sports, good on you guys for getting into it).

I try to get excercise in by swimming/water aerobics, bush walking, taking dogs for a walk, kicking a ball with my partner in the park.

My question is, does anyone have any more ideas about how to get excercise in my days that might be more enjoyable or that serves a double purpose (like walking dogs), or even having so much fun that I don't realise it's excercise??? -I can hope right?

Thanks everyone

Swimming and playing ball is NOT exercise? I am a bit confused about your definition of exercise :)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I struggle with getting "bored" with an exercise routine and I also hate gyms, so I have to change it up often or figure out ways to take my mind off the exercise. The single best equipment purchase I have made over the years is my bike. DH and I bought our bikes together and we have had so many memorable experiences with them. We are always trying to find new trails to ride and hit our local trail often. We started changing our "date nights" from going out to eat to going on evening bike rides. I also use the "map my ride" app and love it.

When I am stuck inside the house, I always catch up on Netflix or my DVR while exercising. It keeps my mind busy and the time goes by much quicker.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi all!

Thanks everyone

Swimming and playing ball is NOT exercise? I am a bit confused about your definition of exercise :)

Agreed. However, for those that hate exercise, it's good to work toward finding an activity they enjoy that they can be consistent with. I cannot fathom hating exercise. That's just so odd to me. But, I know people IRL that tell me that that get no enjoyment whatsoever. From beginning to end, it's complete misery. Lol. It just doesn't compute.

I would say they're not purposeful exercise, as in they are not doing them for the express purpose of exercising.
  • risingstar89
    risingstar89 Posts: 20 Member
    Zumba is a lot of fun and its low impact. you can find videos on YouTube or go to a zumba class they probably have them at your local gym. fitnessblender.com has workouts that are low impact I don't find them boring, I usually just put some music on in the background.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Go do awesome things outside.
    bike to places, hike, etc...
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Hi all!

Thanks everyone

I am confused also by your definition of exercise!!

Swimming is a great form of exercise. Its great cardio if you actually put some effort in and in some respects resistance too (since water has more resistance than air) .
    Throw in some aids such as pull buoys (restricts leg movement so the arms control momentum) and kick board (same but it stops arms) to make it interesting.

If you don't work up a sweat playing ball then you are not moving enough.

My exercise that is not like exercise is walking. I take my camera out into nature (lakes, hills etc) and take photos that way my mind is occupied in looking for things to photograph and I get a good walk in.
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    In between commercials do sit to stands for the whole commercial, you get a major body movement by just sitting up out of your chair, do that for a 30 min show & thats 6 mins or so of exercise.
    Its essentialy a mini squat that engages major muscle groups & will burn more calories without burning you out.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hi all!

Thanks everyone

Agreed. However, for those that hate exercise, it's good to work toward finding an activity they enjoy that they can be consistent with. I cannot fathom hating exercise. That's just so odd to me. But, I know people IRL that tell me that that get no enjoyment whatsoever. From beginning to end, it's complete misery. Lol. It just doesn't compute.

I would say they're not purposeful exercise, as in they are not doing them for the express purpose of exercising.

I agree, but then what's the solution for someone that hates exercise and simply isn't going to do it?

Then they just don't do it. It's not a choice I would make but if a person insists that s/he doesn't enjoy any physical activity at all, of all the dozens (hundreds?) of options out there, and s/he's just not going to do any, I don't see another option. (I'm assuming we're talking about adults. Kids are a different story.)
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Hi all!

Thanks everyone

I agree, but then what's the solution for someone that hates exercise and simply isn't going to do it?

Then they just don't do it. It's not a choice I would make but if a person insists that s/he doesn't enjoy any physical activity at all, of all the dozens (hundreds?) of options out there, and s/he's just not going to do any, I don't see another option. (I'm assuming we're talking about adults. Kids are a different story.)

I hate exercise but I walk 60-90 minutes 5-6 days a week. Most of the time it sucks for me but lately have been having moments where it feels good. I do it because overall it makes me feel better. Have had this routine for 6 months.

While I wouldn't say I exert myself hard, the walking is doing something based on how I physically feel. I don't burn tons of calories but that's fine. I can live with the 400 or so I do burn.

OP - I would try walking. It's free, don't need special clothes except good shoes. You don't even need the shoes in the beginning. Its something you can start right now. It's low impact and you can control how much effort you out into it. If you don't want to sweat, you don't have to.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,082 Member
    Going for bike rides outside of the city is a great way to get active, see things you never see when driving because you go past them too quickly, and burn a bunch of calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hi all!

Thanks everyone

So true!

OP - If you really can't tolerate the thought of 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week - think about your old age. Think of it like going to the doctor. No one likes it, but we do it to protect our health. If you have kids (or plan on having kids) think about the example you set.

Elderly people that shuffle instead of taking steps, have lost much of their balance. They shuffle because they don't want to fall (and break a hip). Activity is also good for bone health.

Muscle strength, endurance, flexibility (range of motion) and balance are all things that diminish over time. Use it of lose it. You need to stay active (somehow) to just to keep your CURRENT level.

Keep looking for activities to do. If a social element will encourage you, take a class. If you don't like that one (complete the sessions....give it a chance) and then take another one. If you don't like working out around people, find at home options. A treadmill, elliptical, rowing machine, mini trampoline. You can park it in front of the TV.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Hi all!

Thanks everyone

To be an adult and just do it. There's a thousand things i do each year that I hate, but if I want to put food on my table or clothes on my kid's back or stay out of jail, I do it. We're talking 45 minutes a day, 4x per week. Any adult that's ever held a job has done more tedious things for longer duration and greater frequency than that.

Get in, get it done, continue whining if they wish. I may love lifting, but I HATE cardio. Yet when cardio is part of my training plan, I'll do it as much and as often as required, even though I never stop crying about it to my friends.
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    You like walking and walking your dog. Have you tried hiking? Some hikes are just walks, but you can also add variety and difficulty by adding hills and traveling different landscapes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    My mother is underweight. Her non-intentional exercise plan:

Step 1: own a 200 plus year old house on a few acres
    Step 2: maintain it (this includes scraping, sanding, and painting the house periodically, and gardening)

However, due to her low bone density scores she is now working out with a trainer twice per week.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Hi all!

Thanks everyone

To be an adult and just do it. There's a thousand things i do each year that I hate, but if I want to put food on my table or clothes on my kid's back or stay out of jail, I do it. We're talking 45 minutes a day, 4x per week. Any adult that's ever held a job has done more tedious things for longer duration and greater frequency than that.

Get in, get it done, continue whining if they wish. I may love lifting, but I HATE cardio. Yet when cardio is part of my training plan, I'll do it as much and as often as required, even though I never stop crying about it to my friends.

I agree with this (except for the part about crying to my friends re: cardio :smile: ).

I think it's a matter of respecting your body and your health and putting forth the effort to take care of yourself. If you've ever been injured and unable to by physically active you appreciate it much more!