First week tracking and I'm gaining?!

Help! I have been tracking pretty much everything I eat (staying under 1800 calories) and worked out 3 times in the last week and I am up 3 pounds! How is this possible? I'm so frustrated.

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Any number of reasons but the main one that comes to mind is: is this exercise routine new?
  • whwalker090688
    whwalker090688 Posts: 5 Member
    Yes - I went from nothing to doing at least 30 mins on the arc machine.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    That's prolly why specially if you're sore in the day or so afterwards. It goes away.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Initially your body can retain water when you pick up a new exercise routine. This will quickly move along. It sounds counter-productive, but increasing water intake can help push that excess water along more quickly. Stick with your #'s. It's just math: if you haven't eaten 3500 excess in calories: then it's not fat and most likely just water retention. :)
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    edited January 2016
    Time of the month? I normally weigh a bit heavier a few days before, it's water. Maybe you need to drop your calories a bit or just give it a bit more time if it's your first week. I doubt a week of exercise would make you weigh heavier. Also, make sure you weigh same time of day in same clothes to get an accurate picture. Don't give up! Also, measure yourself too for progress, it's about more than the scale.
  • whwalker090688
    whwalker090688 Posts: 5 Member
    thanks guys! I will try not to get discouraged and keep pushing
  • jassenyates
    jassenyates Posts: 11 Member
    I read an article that stated when one starts a new routine, muscle fibers break down and for lack of better words, the water you drink fills the spaces. So you gain a bit of weight initially. Be patient, stick with the routine, use this app to track your food and usually 2-3 weeks later, your body will adjust.
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    Yep this happens to me whenever I start all over again, keep going and ypu will see result soon. Just as an example, my weight stayed the same all last week but by this morning I had dropped 3 pounds and that was on 1900 cals per day. If you are eating consistently within your goals and doing some activity then it HAS to work, so try not to get disheartened :smiley:
  • bsbprincess
    bsbprincess Posts: 161 Member
    edited January 2016
    My first week and I'm down .5 .... I just made a post asking for help. Very frustrating and discouraging when you feel like you've worked so hard and not gotten the result you wanted. It makes me feel like it was for nothing. JaneyB311, I'm REALLY hoping that happens for me soon. Either that or I'm doing this all wrong lol.

We need to stick with it though. We can do this, OP!!
  • JaneyB311
    JaneyB311 Posts: 80 Member
    My first week and I'm down .5 .... I just made a post asking for help. Very frustrating and discouraging when you feel like you've worked so hard and not gotten the result you wanted. It makes me feel like it was for nothing. JaneyB311, I'm REALLY hoping that happens for me soon. Either that or I'm doing this all wrong lol.

We need to stick with it though. We can do this, OP!!

I've been doing this for a while now and am happy to help where I can. Drop me a friend request if you want to share diaries or encouragement :smile:
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    I'm totally discouraged. As of today, I've logged everything for 365 days...exercise 2-3 times a week...and I've gained 15+ lbs. :(
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    More than likely it's only water retention. Keep up the good work, keep logging, and drink more water. I'm on a 4 week plateau myself, and I know it can get discouraging. Don't give up. :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    donna710 wrote: »
    I'm totally discouraged. As of today, I've logged everything for 365 days...exercise 2-3 times a week...and I've gained 15+ lbs. :(

You may want to start your own post as a year is different from a week.

Some questions:
    What is your current height/weight/age?
    Do you regularly use a food scale?
    How many calories do you aim for on a daily basis?
    How active are you in your everyday life? (Not talking about workouts.)
    How often do you log/track your intake?
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Help! I have been tracking pretty much everything I eat (staying under 1800 calories) and worked out 3 times in the last week and I am up 3 pounds! How is this possible? I'm so frustrated.

Emphasis mine. Tracking "pretty much everything" is not the way to do it. You need to track every caloric food and drink you put in your mouth. If you don't track that glass of wine or that one handful of chips or that one candy here and there, it all adds up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When I started lifting weights again in October, my weight shot up 7 pounds but came back down within a few weeks - one day I lost four pounds overnight.

I've ramped up my exercise program recently and my weight is up a little again, but that could also be due to my very high sodium intake over the weekend or ovulation.