Real Reasons for Obesity

Options

Replies

• johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Want to end obesity? There's a patch. You put duct tape over your mouth.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I thought this was an interesting response to his new book (there will be lots of articles as he is media savvy and hawking his wares)

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/always-hungry-its-probably-not-your.html

#2 on his list - - Hunger is only one of the reasons we eat. We don't generally eat dessert because we're still hungry at the end of a meal. We don't drink alcohol or put cream and sugar in our coffee because we're hungry. Much of the eating we do in the affluent world has little to do with hunger-- a phenomenon researchers call "non-homeostatic eating".

I think this is the big one for many people. I think hunger is the least of our problems. If we only ate when were hungry there would be very few of us overweight.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    According to that article, my progress is all a lie!!!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I don't believe he's entirely wrong.

Often the mantra on here of CICO is overly simplistic, IMO. (Well, I actually think lots of posts on here are overly simplistic.)

While I don't disagree that CICO does work ('cause thermodynamics), I think how easily/effortlessly it works can vary a lot depending on the individual and the types of food being eaten.

That's not expressed well. I'm in a hurry and shouldn't even be on here right now. And not interested in/don't have time to debate, either. But I predict within the next few years we'll get more and more research that will prove Ludwig to be more right than wrong.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    This was posted in the NY Times wellness blog this week. According to Dr. Ludwig, weight loss/gain is not about CICO, but the real causes for obesity is our increasing reliance on processed carbs. Any thoughts? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/rethinking-weight-loss-and-the-reasons-were-always-hungry/?ref=health&_r=0

My thoughts:

Ludwig = bad science

It is about CI/CO. That moron has had the audacity to state that someone eating I've 5000 calories will not gain weight if they don't eat the wrong foods. Trust nothing he says. Find a new source for information.
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    When I was over 400 pounds I ate almost double the calories I do now. In order to sustain that weight, I needed to take in a volume of food to support it. To lose it, I gradually made small changes to my intake over time. I didn't change a lot about what I ate (as I already ate basically the right foods), but how much I was eating.

I have successfully maintained my 200 pound weight loss for almost a year. I do it by being mindful of what I eat and trying to re-learn what it means to be "hungry". I have a binge-eating issue I work to keep under control by ensuring that I do not starve myself. It is a careful balance and takes a lot of strategy in order to avoid the behavior. I do have foods which trigger it, but I am learning to be careful with those as well and have healthier alternatives.

This massive weight loss I have had is not a means to an end, but a journey of learning, experimenting and getting to know myself again.

To all of you who are struggling, I can tell you that the biggest battle has been in the mind for me. Having a food/eating addiction can be one of the hardest to beat as there are so many factors which work against you succeeding. I am taking it day by day, continuing to read, learn, and not let others, including so-called experts, tell me how to live my life. I listen, but I don't always follow. I wouldn't be here today telling you that I lost over 200 pounds in 11 months if I did.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people who didn't lose weight until they cut back on sugar in all it's forms and suddenly gained control of their appetites and metabolism. That doesn't totally contradict CICO but it brings it in reach of many people. When I was 20 I lost weight counting calories and drinking soda. When I was in my forties, that didn't work. But eating mostly fat did. I remember one afternoon suddenly realizing I no longer felt the craving for a snack before supper. Becoming master of my metabolism was amazing. I could fast if I wanted to and stay productive all day. That was new.

And eating butter, ghee, cream, and coconut oil more than makes up for pancakes, waffles, and the like.

Some of my recent weight loss has been with calorie counting and some without. I'm not saying that it's not a tool. If you want to make a (reasonable) goal on a schedule it is probably essential. But getting off the sugar wagon has given me a new life. Even before I lost any weight I maintained the eating strategy because I felt so much better. It was like kicking a drug habit.

The article probably overstates things for marketing purposes and other reasons. But that shouldn't obscure the obvious truth that is discussed.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think over dependence on processed carbs CONTRIBUTES to a problem with obesity. It's easier to eat, cheaper to get, and tends to leave you feeling less than satisfied when done, leading to people continuing to eat to fulfill either the emotional need to enjoy tasty food or the physical need to feel full. It makes it more difficult to trust your body to tell you that you've eaten enough calories. Our brains are notoriously greedy *kitten* that will want more more more.

But if I (accurately) count the calories in the neon orange cheesey poofs I'm ramming down my gullet and make sure that I consume fewer calories than I burn each day, I will lose fat at a rate that is directly proportionate to the deficit I create. Period.

I can see where people want to be able to place the blame on something and hit an easy button. Personally, I find when I eat fewer grain-based carbs I tend to feel more full and crave less sugary food. My body is just more satisfied and it makes eating at a caloric deficit easier for me, mentally. But at the end of the day, eating fewer carbs is only a tool I use to meet my desired deficit, not the actual answer to weight loss.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Q.
    If it’s not overeating, then what is the underlying cause of obesity?

A.
    It’s the low fat, very high carbohydrate diet that we’ve been eating for the last 40 years, which raises levels of the hormone insulin and programs fat cells to go into calorie storage overdrive. I like to think of insulin as the ultimate fat cell fertilizer.

And this guy has a Ph. D........... wow.........
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone who posted the different web sites. This is a very very interesting topic for me, one that I hope to see more discussion on. I believe there is some truth in all these articles. I do not think weight loss/weight gain is black and white or simple and I think we have alot more to learn on this subject. Every person that I know eats differently, exercises differently, experience hunger differently, and loses and gains weight differently. Gender, health, habits, age all seem to factor in. Yes I think calories are extremely important but I do not think that's the entire picture. I also think we are putting chemicals into our bodies that previously did not exist in the form of sugar substitutes and whatever they decide to put into processed food and probably on the outsides of whole foods. I even read the other day there are chemicals in the pizza boxes to help the pizza slide out easier (which are now in the process of being outlawed). I am sure these chemicals have effects we are not currently aware of in relation to appetite, health and weight gain.
  • msharrington315
    Options
    Here's another thought- I am often fascinated by the number of experts who have great weight loss advice, but have never been obese. You can study it all you want, but try living it your whole life.

I can tell you from real experience that true weight loss takes a commitment to a healthier lifestyle, and not one of deprivation. Most diets lead to a state of feeling deprived which is why the majority of people give up on them (I did). In general most people do not get enough physical activity and need to incorporate that into their lives gradually and in a way that is sustainable.

Although I agree that the quality of food we are eating needs to change, the volume needs to match the caloric amount you are burning to maintain and less if you want to lose. True, a calorie is a calorie, but I am much better off getting my calories from "clean" sources as opposed to processed. However, in today's world it is difficult to completely avoid processed foods. You don't necessarily have to give them up, but limit your intake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well in a lot of countries with less processed carbs, there is less obesity. But I think it's simply because processed carbs are less filling and less satisfying than more traditional, artisan-made goods, so we tend to overeat on them....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This was posted in the NY Times wellness blog this week. According to Dr. Ludwig, weight loss/gain is not about CICO, but the real causes for obesity is our increasing reliance on processed carbs. Any thoughts? http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/07/rethinking-weight-loss-and-the-reasons-were-always-hungry/?ref=health&_r=0

Considering that my mother has been obese her entire life (emotional/binge eater) and eats the healthiest diet I have ever seen, I'm thinking the real reason is CICO.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Because this is an interview (as opposed to an academic paper that's couched in more scientific language), I think there is an element of oversimplification at the beginning, but it's important to read through to the end. What he is saying is that due to our overconsumption of processed carbs and sugars, we have become fat, but our brains and even our bodies don't recognize that the calories stored in our fat cells are accessible for energy. Therefore, even though we are fat, we are constantly hungry. He also discusses this theory in conjunction with insulin and Type II diabetes. In a way, I understand it. While I've never experienced this constant hunger and was never more than moderately overweight (around a 26 BMI after an injury), my husband who is overweight and diabetic and makes jokes ("fat cells never go away, they just shrink"), says he is constantly hungry and that when I can just stop eating something because I'm full, he tells me "You don't understand how a fat person thinks/feels." For example, I wear a FItbit HR, and it kind of predicts when I'll be hungry -- if the calories burned are more than I've consumed, say after exercise, I do feel quite hungry. But if I sit around all day and I've eaten what I've burned, I'm not that hungry. However, my husband can be sedentary all day and yet feel much hungrier than I do even if I'm active, and even if he's eaten much more than I have. I think this article captures the reason for that insatiability of the overweight-obese person. Ludwig's solution is to stop eating some of those foods that fuel that craving/hunger -- processed carbs, sugars, etc.

This sounds absurd. Our brains and bodies (not sure those are two separate things, but whatever) know those calories are there and will use them for energy when needed. If not then people on a deficit would starve to death while remaining fat, which is clearly not reality. The problem is if we keep eating more calories than we burn our bodies don't need to use the stored fat because they have enough fuel, plus extra to store for later.
  • msharrington315
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well in a lot of countries with less processed carbs, there is less obesity. But I think it's simply because processed carbs are less filling and less satisfying than more traditional, artisan-made goods, so we tend to overeat on them....

I work with a number of people from Asia, which historically has had the healthiest and thinnest people, who are telling me that he obesity rate is increasing there as well now that western foods are being introduced.

The "McDonald's-syndrome"...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I stopped at "Dr. Ludwig"...
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Here's my thought - that is wrong.

/thread
  • Clobern80
    Clobern80 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    clobern80 wrote: »
    DataSeven wrote: »
    I eat processed foods every day and am losing weight. Am I breaking the laws of science here?

That's not what the article suggested. But according to the author you may be making it harder on yourself than if you didn't eat them.

I would rather make it a little tougher while still losing and enjoying foods I think are delicious than be miserable and give up eating like a rabbit.

Narrows eyes

Whaddayamean? I eat lots of delicious foods

:bigsmile:

You're the one rabbit who eats bacon and eggs, so you be coo'
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I thought this was an interesting response to his new book (there will be lots of articles as he is media savvy and hawking his wares)

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/always-hungry-its-probably-not-your.html

#2 on his list - - Hunger is only one of the reasons we eat. We don't generally eat dessert because we're still hungry at the end of a meal. We don't drink alcohol or put cream and sugar in our coffee because we're hungry. Much of the eating we do in the affluent world has little to do with hunger-- a phenomenon researchers call "non-homeostatic eating".

I think this is the big one for many people. I think hunger is the least of our problems. If we only ate when were hungry there would be very few of us overweight.

This is what I think too, and it's why I think the argument that it's not calories is crazy. It's that calories are so easily and cheaply available and often around all the time. In that environment, it takes some effort or the development of structure or habits for many of us to avoid overeating.
  • msharrington315
    Options
    I think the "real reason" we are obese is a complex issue - food quality, emotional eating, advertising, portion distortion / control, metabolism, activity level / less active lifestyles... to name a few.